Jay Sankey's "Mute" December 2011

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
keeper

Jay Sankey's "Mute" December 2011

Postby keeper » December 12th, 2011, 8:51 am

I was really struck by this concept and wrote a script that I think takes it to the next level. I'm going to do my first public performance of it at a club meeting tonight and in the spirit of the season thought I'd share. Feel free to use it if it speaks to you.
Al

CHRISTMAS BELLS

<THE MAGI LIGHTS A SENTED CANDLE AND PASSES OUT CHRISTMAS CANDY SILENTLY TO THE AUDIENCE. HE FINISHES, PAUSES AND LOOKS AT THEM, THEN BEGINS>

The holiday time is a magical time of year. It seems to surround us everywhere we go. When you take it in it goes beyond the visuals, its sights, sounds,

<STARTS MUSIC>

tastes and smells

<HE GESTURES TO THE TREATS AND CANDLE>

that weave themselves together to fill our hearts with warmth.

<THE MAGI OPENS A CONTAINER AND POURS 8-10 BELLS INTO HIS HAND>

Bellsall through history a magical sound

<SHAKES THEM>

in addition to being magical symbol. Bells were originally used to ward off evil spirits, hence their use in the steeples of churches. What better way to start a religious service than to make sure all the evil spirits are gone

<HE SHAKES THEM PLAYFULLY>

They remain an important symbol in the wedding ceremony to this day doing their part to start a marriage off with only goodness. In Feng Shui, its believed that a bell hung near your front door helps protect your home in addition to bringing wealth. At Christmas time the bells magic is heard in front of a Salvation Armys kettle, at a pageant where a choir rings bells, at the midnight mass, and, of course, hanging on a reins of a team of reindeer, or ringing from a tree when an angel gets his wings.

<HE STARTS LAYING THEM DOWN IN A LINE>

Now only a true believer can fully understand the magic of the bells. Do we have a true believer here?

<HE BRINGS THE VOLUNTEER UP AND HAS HIM PUT HIS FINGER ON THE TABLE IN FRONT OF THE FIRST BELL>

Just feel the magic of Christmas within you as you slide your finger along the line of bells. Stop whenever you feel the magic swell in your heart.

<THE MAGI TAKES THE CHOSEN BELL AND PUTS IT IN THE CONTAINER AND PLACES IT IN FRONT OF THE HELPER>

Lets keep this one safe for now. Now there are those that dont believe in magic

<HE PICKS UP A BELL OFF THE TABLE AND SHAKES IT SHOWING ITS SILENT>

Or they dont believe in Christmas

<HE REPEATS THE PROCESS FOR EACH BELL COLLECTING THEM IN HIS HAND>

Its just for kids, its a waste of money, no one remembers the true reason for the season,
its too commercialized. Sadly there are almost as many reasons to NOT believe as there are bells in the world.

<HE PICKS UP THE CONTAINER AND DUMPS THE CHOSEN BELL INTO THE HELPERS HAND>

Almost

<HE SMILES AND GESTURES TO THE HELPER TO SHAKE HIS BELL WHICH RINGS>

Ahhhh the heart of a true believer is always rewarded with the sound of magic

<HE FOLD THE HELPERS HAND OVER THE BELL AS A GESTURE THAT IT IS HIS NOW THEN TURNS TOWARDS THE AUDIENCE>

As for the rest of you, may the magic of Christmas

<POPS A CANDY IN HIS MOUTH>

Stay with you always and may your bells

<HE SHAKES THE STOCKING AND RINGING IS HEARD FROM IT>

Never ever stop ringing

<BLOWS OUT CANDLE>
Every day is a magical adventure!

Al D'Alfonso

Steve Hook

Re: Jay Sankey's "Mute" December 2011

Postby Steve Hook » December 12th, 2012, 12:17 am

Nice! I like that a lot, Al. Thanks for submitting it!

Return to “Columns”