John Gaughan contributions

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Jim Riser

John Gaughan contributions

Postby Jim Riser » October 29th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Doing what I do, I have really appreciated the articles about John Gaughan's items. If I were to name someone as my personal hero in magic, it would have to be Joseffy. The insight into the mechanics of his creations reveals his genius. I just wish there were even more detailed photos of the workings.

In my spare time between making items for others, I've been working on my own designs for mechanical items and am currently experimenting with a new spring powered motor of my own design. The actual construction of five of these motors has begun and progress may be seen at:

http://jamesriser.com/Magic/A1/A1.html

It will be noticed that I have decided to make most parts as they would have been made in Joseffy's time. Progress will be slow due to time constraints. - but things are underway.

I do thank all involved in the creation of this series of articles.
Jim

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: John Gaughan contributions

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 29th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Jim, Wow that looks like a helluva lot of work. I hope the final product is something I can afford! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » October 31st, 2011, 1:43 am

Richard;
Yes, it's a ton of work and what I have shown is barely the beginning. But ... when completed, the final items will be goodies that no one else will have - true exclusivity. Unique items are always expensive. I certainly could not afford what I am making if I wasn't making it myself. I have not yet decided if the final items will be for sale. I may just keep and enjoy them. I certainly could not easily replace them. More web pages will be added as things progress.
Jim

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » November 4th, 2011, 11:35 pm

Jim, as always, your work is incredible.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Mag Ferran
Favorite Magician: Frakson

Postby Mag Ferran » August 12th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Great work Jim, thanks for sharing the photos of your work, hope you could finish soon, all the best.

I love Gaughan contributions on Genii, it is a pleasure read article and watch the items. This is a piece of our history.
Hic et Ubique

Keith Raygor

Postby Keith Raygor » August 13th, 2012, 1:22 am

I find your work and the photographs very intriguing. Did you shoot the pictures? Thank you for sharing your process and progress.
www.KeithTheMagician.com
www.TheMusicalMindreader.com

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » October 3rd, 2012, 5:02 am

Keith,
I was out of town at a trade show in Vegas when you posted and missed your post. Yes, I take the photos as I go through the various steps involved. This, of course, really slows things down.

I hope to get back on this in November sometime. I've been too busy with nonmagic projects lately.
Jim

Return to “Columns”