On the Slant-book recommendations

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Larry Horowitz

On the Slant-book recommendations

Postby Larry Horowitz » July 1st, 2011, 2:58 pm

Oft times in his column Jon will recommend books. Some are directly related to magic. Others can be connected to our field when they are analyzed and the information put to good use.

I regularly read these recommendations. (I have just finished "Moonwalking with Einstein"). I don't know how many of you follow these recommendations but I would like to say that Jon gives an excellent review. He picks good material and shows us that everything about magic is not in books of how to do the latest trick.

So, Thank YOU Jon....

Onward

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: On the Slant-book recommendations

Postby Joe Pecore » July 1st, 2011, 3:17 pm

I too like checking out his recommendations each month!
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 1st, 2011, 8:28 pm

I know that in the past H&R Books made a point of carrying the books Jon wrote about.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » July 1st, 2011, 9:49 pm

I cherish Al Seckel's Masters of Deception , which I bought based on Jon's recommendation. It's a gorgeous collection of illusionary art.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » December 4th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Jon's column is wonderfully intimidating at times. It's important to be challenged. I wish I could read as much and as widely as he does. His insights are greatly appreciated. I am still trying to catch up on last year's digital issues. His December 2011 column concludes with the URL

http://jonracherbaumer.com/

A year later and the Web site still hasn't been completed. It would be great to have a resource for all of his book recommendations and other thoughts.

If I can be of assistance Jon, let me know.

www.michaelmanchester.com
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 4th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Sometimes Jon gets a little behind because he's juggling so many projects. I'm still waiting for the book Letters to Hofzinser, which he first mentioned in the Heirophant in 1969 or 1970?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » December 5th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Thanks for the uplifting, encouraging feedback. Although I don't think I've ever matched Max Maven's pace of reading, I try to read (books) three hours daily (mostly at night). I just bought three books last night and currently have 21 at my bedside...all are non-magic books. I'm 98% finished with Richard Turner's bio and have three e-books in the works. My Website has been dormant for too long, but my son keeps figuring out ways to enhance it. It will be up in January. I will put out a really esoteric pub (electronic) called DUSTBIN DOSSIER. I still plan to resume LETTERS TO HOFZINSER, even though Richard doesn't believe me. Stay tune for BRAINY ACTS. So many projects. So little time. Dare I say, "Please bare (bear?) with me?"

Onward...
Thanks again for the support.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » December 5th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Make it 22! I received Milt Larsen's My Magical Journey yesterday, a colorful trip down memory lane. Fun reading so far.

Return to “Columns”