Daryl in Genii

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.

Daryl in Genii

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2005, 9:46 am

I just finished reading the article on Daryl in the September Genii.This has been my favorite interview of anyone so far. I originally met Daryl in 1977 at a Slydini lecture in San Francisco. At that time he was selling some of his effects, the one I purchased was Identical Impossiblity. At the time he was living in Fremont California and me being new to magic thought. I will go to his house to see some other stuff. I showed up out of the clear blue, him being the nice guy he is said , come on in and proceeded to show me as I recall his version of Triumph, well after seeing some of his great card work I purchased a book from him , Dingle's Deceptions and went back to work. Since that initial meeting he went on to bigger and better things. Must add his magic is the best and a truly likable guy.Good luck to him Alison and his soon to be 2 children.
Rennie

Danny Archer

Re: Daryl in Genii

Postby Danny Archer » September 20th, 2005, 8:24 am

Daryl is without a doubt one of the nicest guys in the business, and one of our finest practioners of the art ... he was also the every first lecturer I ever saw and I still have his autographed notes ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Postby Guest » September 22nd, 2005, 1:25 pm

I second Danny Archer's assessment of Daryl. Besides being one of the best magicians ever, he is also very approachable. Daryl is a definite asset to the magic community.

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2005, 10:31 am

If anyone is in the area, Daryl will be at The Magic Castle swap meet, this Saturday. Doors open at 9

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2005, 8:26 pm

I enjoyed reading the Daryl interview in the recent Genii. Silly me - I always assumed that Martinez is his actual surname and that it's indicative of Hispanic background and that he IS the "Puerto Rican gambler". I'm always learning.

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2005, 8:37 pm

Not having read the article I think I missed the joke here. Wasn't Martinez Daryl's ORIGINAL surname? I knew him that way back in the early seventies, in San Francisco, and have his advertising material and brochures from that era, including one with he and Jack McMillen working at a convention in Asilomar, I think it is. He dropped the surname and worked as "Daryl" for years, though I understand he has taken a new surname now. Is any of this correct, or am I nuts?

Best, PSC

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 27th, 2005, 3:20 am

Originally posted by pchosse:
Wasn't Martinez Daryl's ORIGINAL surname?

Yes.

He dropped the surname and worked as "Daryl" for years, though I understand he has taken a new surname now.

Correct. He adopted his wife, Alison's, surname.

Is any of this correct, or am I nuts?

A two-part question, Paul. Pretty tricky to answer. :)

Matt Field

Dan Smith

Postby Dan Smith » September 27th, 2005, 4:30 am

Daryl states in the Genii article that Easton was his biological grandfather's last name. Before his daughter Laura was born he did some investigation into his family's history and found his grandfather was an Easton, not a Martinez. To quote,

"Now, we're not sure if my grandfather was born out of wedlock, or if they were married and my great-grandmother divorced and re-married a Martinez later. But when my grandfather was very young he was raised by a Martinez who was actually not his biological father. They just took on that name."
Dan

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2005, 8:14 am

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
Is any of this correct, or am I nuts?

A two-part question, Paul. Pretty tricky to answer. :)

Matt Field [/QB]
Yes Matt, but a one word answer would suffice...

Best, PSC

Return to “Columns”