Genii Speaks of Mr Beckwith, Mr Tempest and exposing

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Greg Edmonds

Genii Speaks of Mr Beckwith, Mr Tempest and exposing

Postby Greg Edmonds » June 21st, 2010, 10:13 am

Richard:

I just read your July 2010 missive on the topic of exposing one's own creations and that exposure's relationship, essentially, with magic's raison d'etre.

Though I initially considered composing an admittedly rather long-winded response, I'll reply to your words with only one of my own:

BRAVO!

Greg

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Genii Speaks of Mr Beckwith, Mr Tempest and exposing

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 21st, 2010, 11:03 am

Up from the depths to periscope level.
A scan of the world above shows disturbing developments.
Some in our market have crossed the "click to pay then learn" line.
At least one has gone on mass media to teach tricks and another onto the internet.
Something about an "economy of attention" justifies their actions, they say.
Okay back down to the dark depths of mystery and secrets.
Down to where history lies scattered in memories and old paper.
Back to where even the existence of a mystery can remain a secret.
On some other planet in an alternate universe where aliens do unimaginable things that have nothing to do with magic shops, anyone with basic computer skills can and will find all of Tarbell, Greater Magic, most of the online offerings and DVDs available at download speeds.

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » June 23rd, 2010, 4:11 am

I agree completely with Richard on this point.

Also, in a private email to Richard, I asked my one point of the entire interview with Beckwith: who is Tobias Beckwith? I've heard the name, but Burger did not even explain why we were reading his interview.

Is Beckwith a manager, agent, performer? Apparently he's working with Jeff McBride, but in what capacity?

Weird interview.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 23rd, 2010, 4:38 am

Doug Brewer wrote:Is Beckwith a manager, agent, performer? Apparently he's working with Jeff McBride, but in what capacity?

Weird interview.

Tobias Beckwith

Trained in the performing arts first as an actor/ dancer at Temple University, then winning his Masters Degree in Directing and Design from the University of Pittsburgh, Tobias went on to teach various performance disciplines there for a several years. Moving to New York, Beckwith enjoyed a career on the production and management teams of some of the world's longest running shows: The Fantastiks (Sullivan Street Playhouse), Sweeney Todd (on Broadway and 1st National Tour), and Oh! Calcutta! (on Broadway and International Touring).

For the past 18 years he has worked exclusively in the world of magic, as manager and producer for Jeff McBride, Marco Tempest and other leading magical performers. Having been extensively trained in every aspect of live show production, Beckwith continues to be actively involved in the creation of magic with many prominent magical artists. He recently authored the book, "Beyond Deception: The Theory & Practice of Creating Original Magic."
For more information about Tobias Beckwith, visit http://www.yourmagic.com

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » June 23rd, 2010, 5:12 pm

Thanks!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 23rd, 2010, 8:30 pm

I think it would make for a good topic for discussion, and I'm curious what the rest of you think about it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » June 24th, 2010, 4:03 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I think it would make for a good topic for discussion, and I'm curious what the rest of you think about it.

As much as I respect Mr. Beckwith's theatrical and management expertise, my reaction to his comments was similar to yours.

And although I equally respect and admire Mr. Tempest as a magic creator and performer, I must say that I'm dismayed by the direction he's moving in vis-a-vis performing/demonstrating a trick on the Internet and then explaining how it was accomplished.

Needless to say, he's entitled to do what he wants with his creations, but in my book what he's doing on the Internet, while arguably subtler, is in many ways no different than what Val Valentino has been doing on television. (Minus the mask, of course.)
The MacGician®

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » June 24th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Hmm, I read the interview quickly while in a waiting room, but I don't recall Tobias saying Marco's approach is good for magic; only that it's good for business.

Martin Kaplan

Postby Martin Kaplan » June 25th, 2010, 11:55 am

Let me begin by saying that I think that the exposure of magic secrets on the Internet and television is disgusting and indefensible. That being said, having seen about a dozen of Mr Tempest's videos, he appears to be divulging the secrets of trick photography and not magic. Can someone point me to the videos where he is exposing the secret of an actual magic trick that could be done live in front of an audience? Thank you in advance for your help.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 25th, 2010, 12:22 pm

You are confusing the issue by segregating "method" as if there's a difference between explaining different types of methods.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » June 30th, 2010, 11:16 am

So what you're saying, Richard, is that it's the classic "slippery slope?" Exposing 'false' methods will lead to exposure of 'real' methods?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 30th, 2010, 11:23 am

Doing a trick and then explaining the actual method you used to do it is, OF COURSE, a bad idea. If you can explain to me how it's a good idea I'd be happy to listen.

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » June 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

In the movie, The Incredibles, the bad guy, Syndrome' master plan is to use his secret technical powers to make a ton of money. Then, when he's through with it all, and he's banked all his cash, he wants to sell them to the general public. That way, everyone will have super powers, not just the Supers.

That way, "When everyone's super, no one's super."

Return to “Columns”