Time-Warp Wallet - Jon Racherbaumer -June

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Time-Warp Wallet - Jon Racherbaumer -June

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 22nd, 2010, 2:55 pm

Damians pointand it is, in my belief, correctis that presentation and context (in particular the performers character) are king.

No one likes the first guy: Here's a quarter, now it's gone, you're a jerk.

The second guy, I am going to cheat. You won't catch me. And you will lose, if handled properly (and I have seen it handled properly many times) works well. If the audience knows up front they are going to lose, there is no sting and yes, Jonathan, they enjoy it. They are not being treated like props. They are being treated like important members of the cast of a play and people love that.

Dustin

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 22nd, 2010, 3:42 pm

Yes indeed. They will play the part of the losing mark. Fast and Loose, The Shell Game, Find The Lady, etc can all be played with the magician looking like a smart arse, or the magician entertaining people with tales of how con men used to con people.

By taking the sting out of them losing from the get go by telling them they are going to lose you make space for some entertainment...

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 22nd, 2010, 9:50 pm

? has anyone done a fast and loose where you happen to get a ring linked onto the chain?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 23rd, 2010, 2:07 am

That begs the question WHY(???) one would even consider doing such a thing.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 23rd, 2010, 1:23 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:That begs the question WHY(???) one would even consider doing such a thing.

Here's my line of thinking on the matter. Most folks I've met who wear chains that long also have something on that chain. Now if you're a magician using some arcane charm to ensure you snare or free the intended loop you've got a ready made. And if you're using the ring as that charm, simple to introduce the theme and finish the bit with the ring dropping off and linking back onto the chain. Also could be a running gag if you ask then to slip on the ring and let that be the cue to have the loop catch on that finger.

The question begged by most " grifter - explain" type presentations is: "Just why, specifically, do you feel it useful to awaken folks to the presence of low level predators in their environment or to the way in which their unfounded beliefs can lead them to unprofitable ventures or even ruin?" Do you really want them to consider the implications of those who would fascinate with deceit as a means of leveraging an exchange of ones worldly values for ones unfounded vanity?

Miss Fortune wants a word with you. If you put all your money into a ...

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 23rd, 2010, 3:07 pm

Getting back to Solomon's trick - I like what it is and suspect folks will enjoy seeing it in performance. My thoughts on scripting are what they are - and it's tempting to purchase the item just to see how different ideas play for people. My question to Tony stands about loading a card into a WOW for that every-now-and-then performance where you have a card signed and get the signature to appear on the card in the wallet just before you hand it back to them.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Doomo

Postby Doomo » May 26th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Getting back to Solomon's trick - I like what it is and suspect folks will enjoy seeing it in performance. My thoughts on scripting are what they are - and it's tempting to purchase the item just to see how different ideas play for people. My question to Tony stands about loading a card into a WOW for that every-now-and-then performance where you have a card signed and get the signature to appear on the card in the wallet just before you hand it back to them.

I have seen the WOW envelope... It would not be that difficult to attach it to a wallet in a position to load a card into it... As I have no real love for it, I do not own one nor have I ever had a desire to...
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 27th, 2010, 7:45 am

Tony, the idea here is that the WOW would replace the clear plastic front of the compartment. Selection under glass as it were. Imagine the fun as this time the card arrives face up and you get them to open the zipper but they tell you that's not their card as it plainly is not even signed. And then...

Okay maybe that's just silly. Or maybe that would help sell the surreal for routines like Darwin's Dream Card.

Does one need a special permission from Masuda to create gaffs for other things? I suspect the WOW method as a fine way to manage billets, spirit writing etc.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 27th, 2010, 9:31 am

The idea with WOW is interesting, but aren't most glassine panels in wallets perfectly clear, while the WOW sleeve looks like a screen door, right?

In addition, I think this sort of thing would put lots of heat on the wallet.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 27th, 2010, 11:57 am

The clear panels in wallets are not made of glassine. They appear to be acetate of some sort. Glassine is more like wax paper.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 27th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Thanks, Richard. Don't know why I said glassine--that's the stuff that stamp envelopes are made of.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » May 27th, 2010, 6:55 pm

In other words, I could install one in a wallet.. I just never had.
The WOW effect just has always screamed "GIMMICK" at the top of its little lungs.. At least to me... It has always appeared to be the kind of thing magicians do for each other at magic club meetings... Along with other exciting variations on the Hippity Hop rabbits ... With a gospel slant! "The black rabbit represents Stan...Errr... Satan... And the white rabbit represents ..."

Erggghhhhh!

www.rfaproductions.com

Seuss

Postby Seuss » May 28th, 2010, 11:30 am

Who makes (made?) the WOW? I'm not familiar with it and am a bit curious now with all this talk.
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Dave Beutler

Postby Dave Beutler » May 28th, 2010, 12:11 pm

Seuss wrote:Who makes (made?) the WOW? I'm not familiar with it and am a bit curious now with all this talk.

YouTube here

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 28th, 2010, 12:13 pm

WOW is the invention of Masuda of Japan. He and his family handmake them. The trick has been copied by numerous people with Mak Magic wholesaling cheap copies from China.

The damn thing is so amazing when you see it that even if you don't want to do a trick with a stupid piece of plastic, you'll reconsider when you see this.

And then, of course, there are all the [censored] on YouTube explaining it:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... asuda&aq=0

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 28th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Hot damn, the link works! :)

Doomo

Postby Doomo » May 28th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Wow Richard! I am SHOCKED! Do you hear me... SHOCKED! To hear that MAK Magic would knock off the products of others... Well, at least it was just this once... Maybe they didn't know.

www.rfaproductions.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 28th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Oh, Jimmy King knows.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » June 4th, 2010, 5:27 pm

I received my Time Warp Wallet today and I like it! It is very nicely made and the book of routines has some very good "tricks". I needed another wallet like I need another oil and water routine, but I believe this one was money well spent. My only complaint would be about the way it was packed for shipping. The wallet was placed inside the booklet and then everything was shoved into a too small envelope, resulting in a booklet that was crimped around the wallet and quite wrinkled during shipping. I would recommend using a slightly larger envelope and leaving the wallet outside of the booklet. I can read the contents fine, but it looks kind of ugly. Otherwise, I am very happy.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » June 5th, 2010, 10:17 am

I received an email from David this morning. He is changing the packaging. If you like the video demo, you should get it. Works very smoothly and magnets keep it from opening unless you want it to. Looks just like a credit card holder. Nothing suspicious-looking about it and the perfect size for poker sized cards.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » June 9th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Uhmmm... WHY put magnets on it? It is in NO WAY examinable... Magnets serve no real purpose. It sounds nice... But it is kinda like a eunuch with a big [censored].. No purpose...

www.rfaproductions.com

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » June 12th, 2010, 1:52 am

Actually, the magnets are a great touch. Has nothing to do with being examinable. If you held one, you'd understand.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » June 12th, 2010, 9:53 am

I agree that the magnets are a great touch. Holding one in your hand makes it obvious.

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » June 12th, 2010, 3:16 pm

I received my Time Warp Wallet this past week and am very happy with it, just as I am with all the purchases I've made from Dave Solomon.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » June 12th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Actually, I HAVE held one of them... I still feel that is NOT the best way to have done the wallet... I did not say it does not work. I simply say that it is the lesser way to do it... If everyone is happy... Then so be it.

www.rfaproductions.com

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » June 17th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Would you have preferred velcro? :)

Doomo

Postby Doomo » June 18th, 2010, 8:32 am

Nah! I would have prefered a better designed wallet... But then I am a cranky fooker.

www.rfaproductions.com

Return to “Columns”