Saragossa Erratum

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
JHostler

Saragossa Erratum

Postby JHostler » December 22nd, 2015, 7:07 am

A quick note on the Finnell Free Cut variation used in the Visions of Saragossa Poker Deal (January 2016 Genii):

While both the handling and context of the packet displacement are (to my knowledge) original, it is important to note that the displacement concept itself is not. Roy Walton, Tom Stone, Karl Fulves (I think), and most likely others have also toyed with the notion of subtly shifting the bottom portion of each packet rather than overtly shifting the top. [I suspect there are many cases of "independent reinvention," and would love to identify more.]

The bulleted notes describing this routine, as provided to Andi Gladwin for his excellent write-up, failed to mention this - in part because the concept struck me as incidental in the context of a lengthy routine, in part because it didn't seem particularly revolutionary, and in part because I simply didn't think to do it. The omission failed to fully register until viewing Andi's video.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa...
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Tom Stone

Re: Saragossa Erratum

Postby Tom Stone » December 24th, 2015, 8:54 am

During my own research, I found no other precedent than Roy Walton, so if Karl Fulves also have something I would be very interested to learn more about it.

I think John is underplaying the value of his contribution here. His choreography is more casual and versatile than my own.

JHostler

Re: Saragossa Erratum

Postby JHostler » December 24th, 2015, 11:08 am

Very kind of you, Tom.

The Fulves recollection is a fuzzy one, but I'll do a bit of sleuthing and see what I can verify...
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Return to “Magicana”