Yigal Mesika - Electric Spider Pen

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.

Yigal Mesika - Electric Spider Pen

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2004, 3:44 am

After reading the review of the Electric Spider Pen (Yigal Mesika), it bubbled around in my head and I decided I wanted one. Then I discovered I had made my September Genii disappear. :whack: Can someone tell me where I can purchase one??

Re: Yigal Mesika - Electric Spider Pen

Postby Guest » August 28th, 2004, 3:58 am

Check this post out:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... rum=109&95

I have been using UFC (Ultimate Float Controller) since 1988 and it works excellent.
The only negative thing is it pretty bulky, size like a packet of cigarets.

If Spider Pen works very well I think this must be a very good concept for us magicians. The small ordinare pen takes it to a new level, no need for a hiding a strange looking gimmick.

You can see a picture here:
http://www.feather-touch.com/SpiderPenL.jpg

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 28th, 2004, 9:28 am

"mercapto" -- what an odd user name. Reminds me of the active ingredient in skunk odor: butyl mercaptan.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » August 29th, 2004, 6:16 pm

The Spider Pens will not be at the dealers until November. Yigal really dropped the ball on this one. He promoted it very heavily at the conventions, and was supposed to be at Magic LIVE. He didn't make it. Evidently, he has very little stock left.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2004, 11:05 pm

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
The Spider Pens will not be at the dealers until November. Yigal really dropped the ball on this one. He promoted it very heavily at the conventions, and was supposed to be at Magic LIVE. He didn't make it. Evidently, he has very little stock left.
:( Bummer! I guess I'm stuck with my ITR until then. The ITR caused me some problems a little while back. While performing walk-around, I broke the thread. Before I moved on, I went to the men's room and was trying to re-start the thread by sucking it through the hole. Someone heard me doing this and thought I was hitting on a crack pipe and alerted their buddy, the cop. I finally had to reveal it before Barney Fife would back down!

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » September 24th, 2004, 9:55 am

To retreive the thread, carry a small piece of kneeded eraser (buy at art supply stores), insert in hole and pull out thread. It is just sticky enough, but not too stickey....also, a tiny piece of Post-It Note will work in a pinch.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 24th, 2004, 2:34 pm

He had loads of them at LVMI a couple of weeks ago.

Postby Guest » September 29th, 2004, 6:18 pm

I bought one at TAOM this year and I really like it. Spool out 15 feet or so and lock it. Do yrou animations, etc. Then hit the button and it retracts with a little tiny motor. I played with it for so long the first night, I killed the battery!

Ben S

Postby Guest » September 30th, 2004, 7:21 am

I ordered mine from Hocus-Pocus yesterday - they were still in stock then...

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 6th, 2004, 6:37 pm

Dean Dill offers adjustment and fixin' broken threads at five bucks at his shoppe.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2004, 1:36 pm

If [LIST] you can find a way to contact Yigal direct he sells spare spools of thread and battery packs (6) (about 50% of cost at Radio Shack).

Carlo Morpurgo

Postby Carlo Morpurgo » November 27th, 2004, 3:40 pm

I got this pen, and I should say that the plastic
is pretty cheap...In fact the cap was quite tight when I got it, so it broke as I was trying to open it to insert the battery. Luckily the store replaced it.

Carlo

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » December 7th, 2004, 6:11 pm

I have three of them. I have had absolutely no trouble with any of them at all.

Here's a hint. When you aren't using it, unscrew the bottom part of the cap from the cap itself. This breaks the circuit, and you won't accidentally turn the pen on in your pocket. Your batteries will last much longer then.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2004, 8:16 pm

I also have taken a couple back due to the cap being busted by the customer when trying to put in or take out the battery.

I caution customers to treat it like you would any magic prop, and not abuse it. If handled properly it's a great utility.

Sam

The Trick Shop - Temecula, CA
(866) MAGIC-04

Carlo Morpurgo

Postby Carlo Morpurgo » December 9th, 2004, 5:08 am

Well, that shows that they have manufactured many defective products...I can assure you there was no other way to open the darn thing as either the cap was really tightly closed, or else it was stuck somehow. That coupled with the cheap plastic
leads to disaster. It's nont a question of taking care of your props....I am not questioning the wonderful idea behind this pen, just pointing out something to improve on.

carlo

Postby Guest » January 12th, 2005, 9:09 am

Its now possible to buy directly from Mr Yigal:
http://www.yigalmesika.com/

This is one of my favourite props ever...

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Carlo,

Use you head. Eh, the mouth part, your teeth. Simply put the darn thing in your mouth and hold the cap in place with your teeth and twist the bottom off. I resorted to pliers and now have a lovely indented design on it. Then, I began to use my head and it works fine, but leave the battery compartment loose to save the battery the screw it up when needed, but only just to make contact do not tighten it.

This pen is a great tool but like all of magic it has limitations and sensitive areas that take a slight bit of finesse.

Carlo Morpurgo

Postby Carlo Morpurgo » January 22nd, 2005, 10:45 am

I am not sure you are serious or not...
when i got it it was already stuck not even einstein's brain could have done it. the new one i got is ok, and i can now use the primate part of brain when i screw it back together, to prevent it from being too tight.

carlo

Postby Guest » January 23rd, 2005, 5:30 am

Carlo,

Yes I am serious based upon my experience (also kidding on the square - v. old expression). It sounds like the one you first received was as tight as mine had gotten. I think this problem is due to the soft, flexibility of the plastic material. It is not very hard so the threads, when tightened, tend to sort of 'melt' together, i.e. forming an extremely tight bond. As the threads tighten on each other they probably shrink and tighten beyond a reasonable state. There is no solution for this other than to avoid the problem.

I did place the bottom ring between my teeth and was able to relieve the pressure by twisting the pen cap. This was after the first time in which I resorted to using pliers which marred the ring (bottom part of the cap).

Herman Koster

Postby Herman Koster » January 27th, 2005, 6:07 am

Something that might cause the battery compartment tightening, is when you twist the pen back in. Because the pen twists right, and the battery part as well, it gets stuck real fast. So when putting the pen in, make sure you hold the ring instead of the cap.

Carlo Morpurgo

Postby Carlo Morpurgo » January 28th, 2005, 7:35 am

Originally posted by Herman Koster:
Something that might cause the battery compartment tightening, is when you twist the pen back in. Because the pen twists right, and the battery part as well, it gets stuck real fast. So when putting the pen in, make sure you hold the ring instead of the cap.
This might be right, however it does not seem to explain my case, as when I received the pen there was no battery inside....Carlo

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2005, 12:58 pm

The cap on my LeClair hook up never gets stuck. Hee-Hee. :)

justin

Postby justin » February 15th, 2005, 10:50 am

I just talked to Yigal yesterday and he said that he has never known the pen cap to have this problem. However when i received mine the cap itself was crooked. So in due time my cap split at the bottom as well. Good news though he is replacing it for me ,Yigal is really good with things like that. I LOVE this utility device i really believe it is the best I.T.R out there...possibly ever! But I wish Yigal made it it a little more durable I am sure that I speak for most of us when I say that we would not mind spending a little more for better quality.
Justin.
www.closeupartist.com

Return to “Magicana”