Rhumba Count -- Duplicount

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Bob Farmer

Rhumba Count -- Duplicount

Postby Bob Farmer » November 20th, 2003, 11:02 am

For the record, the Rhumba Count is brother to a much earlier count, Gordon Bruce's "Duplicount" -- Pabular, Vol. 5, #5, May 1979 p. 682.

El Mystico

Re: Rhumba Count -- Duplicount

Postby El Mystico » November 26th, 2003, 1:00 am

I can't see this.

I'm a huge fan of Gordon Bruce's, and like his count - it is well worth studying. But while it achieves the same end as the Rumba count, to my hands the handling is completely different.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 26th, 2003, 8:26 am

I never thought the original Rhumba Count was very deceptive. The Hypnotic Rhumba, in the December issue of Genii, is far far superior and more visually convincing.
The original shares the same problem that most of these types of counts have: it's difficult for the image of one card to pass as many convincingly. I mean, why the hell don't you just turn the packet over and spread it like a human?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » November 26th, 2003, 7:08 pm

The worst count of this type was published in MAGIC a few months back. Can't recall to whom it belonged but it was very bad.

I don't care for the rhumba count very much either but it has its place, I suppose.

I agree with what others have said about the flushtration count being that it is best as a casual convincer when you are supposed to be holding like cards anyway, Ie. two jokers.

For most everything else I prefer the diminishing lift or variations thereof.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » January 15th, 2004, 12:59 pm

Try to see Vallarino in his Tape "Card Fantasies"(i think that's the title).have seen it in france.it looks great when he performs it.also it's only to use once in a while.it's a no no to over use it.peroid
just my 2 cents on the matter
Greetings from Germany
Marcus
:p

Return to “Magicana”