A Loaded Question for the Readers of Genii

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: A Loaded Question for the Readers of Genii

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 10th, 2002, 9:03 am

Folks, many many excellent ideas here: please keep them coming. Racherbaumer and I DO read them, discuss them, and we're trying to find ways to implement them.
Dori: am planning a French issue for next year. But, with an 8 month old daughter, I can't just jump on a jet and fly around the world the way I used to. I'd hate to give my wife an excuse to hit me on the head with a frying pan!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 12th, 2002, 3:19 pm

Maybe you should ask for volunteers to go
to Paris, instead of compiling the Genii Index. . .

Postby Guest » September 13th, 2002, 2:57 pm

I will be in Paris for 2 more years
I can wait for the Paris issue :)

Dori

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » September 16th, 2002, 7:50 pm

I would like to see something on shell and flipper coin gimmicks and their applications. While much has been written on the use of shells, I am not familiar with the literature on flipper coins (any help here will be greatly appreciated), and its use in conjunction with a shell.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 16th, 2002, 9:22 pm

We always thought of the flipper coin as a "Swadling Coin," since that's the name under which Tannen's sold it in the 1970s. He had some clever routines.
You know, the flipper coin is a lot like a folding coin. The folding coin was used to masquerade as two coins as early as the turn of the century in a book called The Art of Modern Magic, or something along those lines. It has photos.
Anyway, think about the relationship between those two gimmicked coins and that might lead you somewhere.

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » September 17th, 2002, 10:02 am

Thanks for the suggestion! I recall a book by Tom Gagnon, called "Sleightly Original", that made great use of a folding coin and thumb tip. However, getting the folding coin to drop out of the thumb tip, as described in the book, proved to be somewhat difficult, and I did not pursue it at that time. Perhaps this (thumb tip & folding coins) also could be the subject of a Magicana? Just a thought.

Thanks again! :)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » September 17th, 2002, 1:55 pm

Troy Hooser's most recent set of lecture notes, "Silver Surf II", is full of folding coin stuff.

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2002, 8:43 am

Something I would like to see, is a list of effects with no methods yet. Karl Fulves has been known to write up these "problems" in a few of his magazines. Maybe you can work up some problems one month, and a few months later, some of the solutions.
Other than that, I would also like to see more
'offbeat' or 'geek' style effects.

Chad

Postby Guest » September 20th, 2002, 8:23 pm

geek magic: performed only if glasses are held together by tape..

I was reading the article on scriptwriting that Pete McCabe wrote (thank you for that, by the way), and it struck me (the thought, not the article). What about an article on the most overused patter lines/themes? Maybe everyone will read it, and we'll stop using the same things over and over and over and ov....

Jason England

Postby Jason England » October 15th, 2002, 10:44 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
...what kind of magic magic you would like to see in "Magicana" in the future?
Um...for starters, you could track down Paul Chosse and put the thumb screws to him to tip the stuff on the diagonal palm shift.

Then, high-tail it down to Texas and force Gary Plants to unload about 2 dozen of his incredible bottom dealing effects on you, to be released one a month for a couple of years.

Ernie Earick has been quiet for too long...

I'd love to know if that Steve Forte guy has come up with anything worthwhile since the mid-80's when he put his tapes out. Nah, probably not.

Two words: Michael Weber.

Previously unpublished Frank Thompson stuff gets my attention. The same goes for Jack Birnman, Charlie Miller, and the aforementioned Paul Chosse.

Find out if Jerry Cestowski can really do the one handed overhand shuffle that I've heard rumors about...publish the method in Magicana.

I'd like some tips on memorizing card sequences from Sal Piacente.

That oughta hold me for a while.

Jason England

Yves Tourigny

Postby Yves Tourigny » October 16th, 2002, 9:28 am

Yeah me too :D

Postby Guest » October 28th, 2002, 5:04 pm

I vote for more real world stand up stuff as well.
Also a column devoted to reworking and refinishing props might be interesting and help us get rid of all those garish dragon and chinese pictographic decorated tubes and boxes. A step by step how to strip the paint off that multiplying bottle set done in the style of the old popular mechanics of my youth would be fun to see.
I would even put up with a Martha Stewart style article on refinishing props, it could be a "good thing"
More articles on peformance philosophy would be welcome. Anything but card tricks.

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » October 29th, 2002, 6:01 pm

ROGER KLAUSE, yes I am shouting. He has been overlooked for years. The best hands, the greatest presentations and a good man.

He is never talked about and is a real legend.

He lives in Borger , Texas.

Class act all the way....

Geno Munari

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2002, 3:58 am

Richard,
Speaking volumes by David Regal was great! I think this should definitely be a consistent part of Magicana. That article caused me to do some serious hunting for lost treasures. Great stuff!

Roberto

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2002, 9:33 am

Speaking Volumes by David Regal appears in Genii every month.

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2002, 1:33 pm

Richard,
As a new subscriber, (just got my first issue last week) I am still enjoying the experience of readihng your great magazine and anything you add will just be gravy to me. I do have a question however, one that I had sent you several months ago regarding reprinting "Greater Magic" by Hilliard (sp). I have been searching the internet and ran across several books available of the first version, and but am more interested in getting a copy of the version you updated and printed a few years ago. I was hoping you might still have some spare copies laying around, or excluding that possiblity, if and when you might be doing another reprint of the updated version of this great book. Any plans for a near future reprint? Thanks,
2th Dr.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2002, 5:29 pm

Hi 2thdr,
My wife is from Omaha!
I have NO copies of Greater Magic laying around except for my own. I do hope to reprint it next year, however I am uncertain at the moment. I'll know more by January.
If you buy one of the original edition, I would suggest a First Edition, from the first through third printings. The book changed substantially with the fourth printing.
Avoid the five-volume library edition.

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2002, 12:01 pm

I'd love to see finished, complete pieces like those in David Kaye's column in MAGIC. The focus could be on mentalism, or stand-up magic, or close-up magic, but I'd like to see the full routine.
More "manipulative" magic would be interesting to read.

No more card tricks, unless it's something amazing.

Harley

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » December 11th, 2002, 9:55 am

I'll add my voice that cries out for more stand-up effects ... my first lecture featured stand-up magic and by the response I received I could see that it struck a chord with most of the audience ...

I also feel that there is some wonderful magic being created and performed by magicians in other countries that I would love to see in Genii ...

I also like the idea of giving several pros a prop or a routine from an older book and asking them to play with it an come up with their own original handling/presentation ... but I think it would be interesting to include a few hobbyists in the mix as well ... good ideas can come from may sources
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Postby Guest » December 12th, 2002, 9:48 am

Richard, why should the five volume edition be avoided? I have a copy of your edition, and it's great, but it's a huge book.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 12th, 2002, 3:43 pm

The five-volume edition of Greater Magic is poorly printed and bound, on lousy paper. There's nothing pleasurable about reading it.
My volume IS huge, however I'm assuming most people don't actually hold it when reading it, but lay it on the table, or rest it on the chest or lap.
At least, that's what I do!

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2002, 8:50 pm

Richard,
I too would love to get my hands on the Greater Magic book you reprinted. I hope that another run comes out soon.

Roberto

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » December 22nd, 2002, 3:38 am

I think it would be interesting to see an entire routine or for singular effects, a suggestion/opinion on how/where a trick fits into a routine. Or suggestions on ideal tricks that could lead in to an effect or the perfect follow on trick.
JR Russell
"Fly Navy"

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » December 22nd, 2002, 7:15 pm

When the other magazine started - They had a column called PARALLAX written by Max Maven - It was the first thing I read in that magazine -
Mr Racherbaumer could write some stories about Ed Marlo - and other prominent magicians he has known
There's also another man, new to this forum, that I think could write some very interesting articles, if he had an inclination to do so, Jonathan Townsend, his posting are interesting insightful - and like the other two mentioned - he has a sense of history
I always enjoy reading Jamy Ian Swiss - good or bad

You know what else might be fun - Randomly select some of your subscribers to write an article - on whatever might interest them - Maybe send out questionaires and select from the returns

Dave

Postby Guest » December 26th, 2002, 5:07 pm

It would be very interesting to see some non-coin David Roth effects like his Chop cup ...Endless chain....and his Jumping Jacks routines.Maybe even publish a book of all his non-coin effects.I would also be interested in David Roths thoughts on his practice and perfomance theories.

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » December 26th, 2002, 10:57 pm

I'd love to see David Roth write up his version of the Endless Chain, as seeing him do it at the World Magic Summit in a joint lecture with Howie Schwarzman was what made me start doing it in the first place. (At the time, he mentioned that he did the Chain while working for years for FAO Schwartz in NYC).

Seeing Ricky Jay do it in "On The Stem," made me realize what a great jumping-off point the Roth version was for any number of us doing it.

brian :cool:

Postby Guest » March 12th, 2003, 10:03 am

Simply put: Bizarre magic for children (read medieval or gothic, but not dark -- story telling of elves and kings / queens)

2061x

Postby 2061x » November 10th, 2003, 12:36 am

Ricahrd

I would like to see the long awaited Guy Hollingworth coin routine I've been waiting the last 4 years for. Any other coin work along the lines of jet coins is also always a plus. Enough of the 3-Fly plot.

I also think it would be interesting to see reader contributed effects (read: unknown magicians). Maybe one per month or one every other month.

Anything else from Lennart Green out there?

Michael

Dan Trommater

Postby Dan Trommater » November 17th, 2003, 11:07 pm

Personally, I'm looking for more material for my stand up show. I'm comfortable with my close-up stuff, but always looking for good stand-up routines. I really liked Mac King's contributions, but felt they were just a bit short.

Keep Speaking Volumes. It's fantastic.

I really liked thinair's idea about having some of the masters add their two cents to some classics.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » November 18th, 2003, 1:06 pm

First of all, I'm going to grab this moment to thank Richard Kaufman for the one photo in the November Genii that was worth the price of a year's subscription, the shot of Guy Jarrett standing next to his "Bankok Bungalo". Absolutely amazing. I never imagined the thing would look that small. That photo is an elegant testiment to the man's genius, and I have Genii to thank for bringing it to me.

So, if you have any other photos that capture the essence of a talented man's life's work in a single shot, sure, I'd like to see more of those.

After that, I'd echo the sentiments regarding standup material, and all aspects of stand up work, scriptwriting considerations, practical solutions for common problems, you know. I'd also expect to see parlor material to find its way into this discussion.

With the closing of the Magic Menu, there is an audience of tablehopping/strolling magicians who are just waiting to become the loyal fans of any enterprising publisher who can provide the sort of thing that used to be "on the Menu".

And of course, a monthly column by Persi Diaconis and Ricky Jay entitled "The Real Lost (well, actually, we knew where they were) Inner Inner Secrets of Card Magic (abridged)".

magicbar

Postby magicbar » November 27th, 2003, 7:36 am

I have some Pre-Kaufman Geniis (and pre-Erika/Dante Larsen) and recall articles with an edge like Magicana with Mad Dog (Charlie) Miller and Tony Georgio. Maybe they were just appropriate for the times. I would like to read some re-prints of select pieces from the 50's-70's I may have missed. (I was buying older Geniis when I first discovered it in the late 70's.) I figure since many are reading older books with interest they may also enjoy older magazine material as well.

mark

Postby mark » November 27th, 2003, 11:03 am

I have many of the golden oldie Geniis as well, and would like to offer up just a couple of observations. There was a time, as Mr. Racherbaumer mentioned, when all things magical originated in or around the Castle. It was a time when all of the readership looked toward, and wished to be, one of those fortunate Castle members. In keeping with the recent issues that highlighted major talents, perhaps we could have either as has been suggested, a Jennings effort, a Charlie Miller effort, or even an issue dedicated to the memories of the era. I know that whenever I see a post by Mr. Chosse, I sit back with a smile and read more carefully. I so much appreciate his sharing these memories with the community, and I just know that this is the way things were done "in the day." There is a gold mine of stories and experiences birthed in and around the Castle during the 50's and 60's. Thank you Richard, for the finest mag in publication, and most especially for presenting people like Ross Bertram, Michael Skinner, etc. to those who were unlucky enough to be lovers of magic while living in Nowhere, U.S.A..

magicbar

Postby magicbar » November 30th, 2003, 11:19 am

After re-reading my last post I leaned toward articles I would like to see rather than magic, which is what Richard's original post asked for.

I would like to see magic that is situationally based; at the dinner table, at a party and such. I would also like to see magic from people that don't have anything for sale. Even though excerpts from product releases have their merit, I like reading about favorite 'chestnuts' from performers that worked for the moment.

I also liked the 'magazine within a magazine approach' when deeper or contrary insights were taken on items in the rest of the magazine for those that took special interest in deeper aspects of thought, trend or technique.

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2003, 3:22 pm

I enjoyed seeing an effect looked at from several angles. Even a semi-debate, such as regarding he too-perfect theory would be great for an effect. That type of intereaction gets one's own brain to start working and thinking. Although the Alain Nu moves were excellent.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 2nd, 2003, 4:24 pm

I miss "The Reel Works" in the older Genii magazines... :D
Stay tooned.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 2nd, 2003, 5:35 pm

I'll second Pete's comment -- "The Reel Works" was a great column. Who wrote that again?

My nomination for what I'd like to see -- an article about Winston Freer.

Matt Field

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 2nd, 2003, 10:35 pm

Another vote for The Reel Works. It was (almost) always the first thing I'd read...

... sometimes the ads, then The Reel Works.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 3rd, 2003, 9:38 am

I'd like to see articles on some of the craftsmen of magic, like maybe Todd Lassen or Jim Riser.

Postby Guest » December 14th, 2003, 5:09 am

I'm the fortunate owner of a few Pressley Guitar props (wand, chop cup, leather cone & balls for Vernon routine, balls for Silent Mora routine, Himber wallet, Hong Kong coin).

I know very little about the man who manufactured these items.

He also invented a few you may have heard of ;) such as the cigarette through quarter and copper, silver, brass.

Pete
(Not "The Reel Works" one)

Postby Guest » December 14th, 2003, 5:32 am

Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
I'd like to see articles on some of the craftsmen of magic, like maybe Todd Lassen or Jim Riser.
I'll second that!

Just in the way we tend to take for granted the drapes, lighting, costumes etc. when watching a movie, the audience probably gives little thought to the manufacture of the magician's props. However, we who are lucky enough to own gems crafted by Messrs Riser and Lassen, to name but two, truly appreciate their craft. It's time were heard from our backroom heroes. For they add lustre to our art.

Return to “Magicana”