Heinstein Shuffle

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Heinstein Shuffle

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 7th, 2002, 9:46 pm

The shuffle which Lennart Green performs is NOT identical in technique to The Heinstein Shuffle (to the best of my knowledge).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mike

Postby Mike » March 9th, 2002, 4:47 pm

Has anyone seen the video ?Is it helpfull?

Postby Guest » March 20th, 2002, 3:48 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
The shuffle which Lennart Green performs is NOT identical in technique to The Heinstein Shuffle (to the best of my knowledge).

Thx Richard, I think I have to see the tape. I've only heard of it now. Lennart Green does an in-the-hands falseshuffle that looks very much like the Heinstein-shuffle (according to the description given here). He does a cascade en with that he seems to strip them apart without doin' cuts.

thx
Xmile.

Alpen

Postby Alpen » March 20th, 2002, 9:18 am

Xmile,

The Shuffle that Lennart performs and explains on his video is not like the Heinstein Shuffle, but a different (and excellent) version of the numerous shuffles in whcih when the cards are bridged, they are angled so that they may be separated.(A variant was published in A-HA! by Harkey.)
The shuffle that Lennart does in his close up set many times is totally diferent than the one on his videotape, and different from the Heinstein shuffle. It is the most convincing shuffle that I have seen, and the method is very cool and clever.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 31st, 2002, 7:41 am

I've just received MagicSmith's new videotape of Karl performing his shuffle. Haven't had time to watch it yet ... has anyone seen it?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2002, 7:17 pm

Richard, please let me know what you think about the video. As I have considered it as a purchase myself.

NH

The Grate Amazmo

Postby The Grate Amazmo » April 7th, 2002, 1:46 pm

The Heinstein shuffle is a good false shuffle and well worth learning. Having already mastered the Henry Hay full deck false shuffle from the Amateur Magicians Handbook, I would only learn another if I thought it was superior to the one I already do. But I find problems with the Heinstein Shuffle on both practical and theoretical grounds.

First, I assume one shuffle is better than two. This is easily accomplished with the Hay shuffle. But to accomplish this with the Heinstein Shuffle require a difficult get ready.

Secondly, I assume that a spectators attention wanes after the cards are weaved together and that a sleight that is open at the beginning is more convincing than one that is open at the end. One of the big advantages of the Hay shuffle is that everything is open and fair until the strip out and that can be delayed until the perfect moment arises. In the Heinstein Shuffle, however, both the get ready for the single false shuffle and the beginning of the weave are covered and this occurs at the beginning of the maneuver

The most convincing part of the Heirstein shuffle comes at the end when the cards weave together and no further adjustment is necessary. However, the Hay Shuffle can emphasize the springing together of the cards also. After that no one is interested in the shuffle any more.

Also, if one is performing on a raised stage with the spectators beneath him, I feel the adjustments necessary to perform the Heinstein Shuffle will make the move look unnatural.

A full deck false shuffle is a weapon that should be I every card mans arsenal. Study all of them before you learn one. Or, better yet, do as my favorite magician, Vic Kirk, would do, learn them all and do the right one at the right time.

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2002, 6:33 pm

Here in the rural South, we use a "Holstein" shuffle. You 'dribble' the cards onto a table from a height of about 3 feet, making a display like a cow urinating on a flat rock (taking care to keep the order of the cards). Gather up the cards, smooth into a pack, and off you go... :D

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2002, 8:15 am

This Heinstein shuffle seems very hard to learn.
Where can I find any good Deck Switches?
I have tried Zarrow Shuffle but that shuffle is not practical when I almost perform standing.

Return to “Magicana”