Silly String of Death

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Geoff Weber

Silly String of Death

Postby Geoff Weber » December 22nd, 2009, 5:25 am

I was interested in this routine but was hoping someone had some concrete advice on how to end it. Spraying the audience or spraying your volunteer both make me nervous and I would be interested to hear from someone who has performed it (if it has in fact been tested in the real world) on how the audience reacted. right now I was thinking of just spraying it in the air, aimed at no one, but would reconsider if that would ruin the audience impact.

As for the methodology, I don't think you would want to equivoque on the final two, if every selection prior to that had been fair. Surely that discrepancy (in the 50% of the time when they point to the wrong can) would come at the worst possible time, when there is the most heat from the audience on the integrity of your selection procedure. I think a PATEO force would be a more desirable method as you could say exactly how the selection process would go and then you would not deviate from that.

Jager

Re: Silly String of Death

Postby Jager » December 22nd, 2009, 10:48 am

Geoff Weber wrote:Spraying the audience or spraying your volunteer both make me nervous

If you spray out high over the audience with a wide sweeping arc I doubt that it would make much of a mess. The higher you spray the more the string will tend to dry out and harden before it lands on expensive clothing.
Kelly Smith
Jager

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 22nd, 2009, 11:57 am

Kids have Silly String fights all the time and spray it all over one another.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jager

Postby Jager » December 22nd, 2009, 12:21 pm

From http://www.ehow.com/how_2352567_get-sil ... abric.html
"No one knows what Silly String is really made of. All we know that is that it is hard to get out of fabrics and impossible to get out of vinyl. In fact, if Silly String gets on your favorite vinyl boots, you are probably stuck with the stain forever."
Kelly Smith

Jager

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » December 22nd, 2009, 12:47 pm

It's also very flammable. Be careful where you spray it, lest you fire up the crowd more than you intended.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » December 22nd, 2009, 2:58 pm

Geoff Weber wrote:I was interested in this routine but was hoping someone had some concrete advice on how to end it. Spraying the audience or spraying your volunteer both make me nervous...

If you're doing this for kids, you could start by putting on a raincoat and shower cap and have the volunteer spray you at the end, or put them on your kid volunteer when he joins you "on stage" and spray him at the end. That would raise the level of expectation during the routine, and provide protection at the conclusion.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

james graham

Postby james graham » May 5th, 2010, 12:02 pm

we used to take a foot of red or yellow yarn and knot one end and thread it into a ketchup or mustard bottle for april fools day...people react when they see "mustard and ketchup" flying toward them...not as long as silly string but certainly reusable.

Return to “Magicana”