Carrot or Broccoli?

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Nathan Kranzo

Carrot or Broccoli?

Postby Nathan Kranzo » June 30th, 2008, 6:52 pm

If my memory serves me well I remember reading a short article about a comedy prediction involving the said veggies.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Kranzo

castawaydave

Re: Carrot or Broccoli?

Postby castawaydave » June 30th, 2008, 7:27 pm

Nathan:
In "Psychological Subtleties", Banachek mentions a couple times that a carrot is the most likely vegetable to be named by a spectator.

On page 11 of chapter 1 ("Subtle Psychological Forces & Saves"), he describes a quickie routine called "The Carrot and the Schtick" that uses this bit of info;

--and on page 15, under "Other Forces" he mentions a number of similar things to remember: [If spectator's asked to name...]"A WILD ANIMAL FROM THE JUNGLE: Will be a lion"; "A PRETTY FLOWER: Will be a rose"; "A VEGETABLE: Will be a carrot"; "A SIMPLE SHAPE: Will be a square unless you give them time to think, then it will be a triangle"...

Also, on the dvd L&L put out a couple years ago called "The Greatest Collection of Magic Performances Ever Assembled on DVD", Michael Finney does an entertaining routine called "No/1,2,3,4".

He starts with the old "no" gag, where a guy thinks of a number between 1 & 1,000. "Is your # 847?" The guy says "no", and Michael shows he had correctly predicted & written down the gentleman's answer ("no") for a match.

He then uses a magician's choice to force the #3 on a lady; finally he asks some rapid-fire questions of the lady helping him, ultimately having her name the 1st vegetable that comes to mind. She says "carrot".

To finish, he shows those predictions ("3" and "carrot") are correct as well.

He gets much mileage and many laughs with that simple routine...

David Acer

Postby David Acer » June 30th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Hi Nathan,

Try Mike Allee's "Broccoli and Carrot" in the October, 2005 Magicana.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » June 30th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Blast.

I knew I should have added, "If you are referring to a trick I've never heard of, all the above is superfluous hooey, but I suppose everyone's used to that by now...

Nathan Kranzo

Postby Nathan Kranzo » June 30th, 2008, 10:43 pm

Hi David,

Thanks thats what I was looking for!

Kranzo

P.S. Castaway Dave thanks for your help as well.

Return to “Magicana”