Edinburgh International Magic Festival 2014

PeterAubery
Favorite Magician: Paul Daniels

Edinburgh International Magic Festival 2014

Postby PeterAubery » June 28th, 2014, 5:59 am

Last night a monster awoke in Edinburgh. Not a big scary monster, more a nice fluffy monster but a monster nonetheless. I am talking about the Edinburgh International Magic Festival. Friday 27th July saw the opening Gala night for http://www.magicfest.co.uk with 8 acts from 5 different countries; the festival is now in its 5th year. The brainchild of Kevin and Svetlana McMahon this festival is a must on ANY magician’s calendar. Top acts from around the world come together for 8 days of magical mayhem. It’s not just for magicians either; the public form the backbone of the audiences, with a perfect mixture of local Scottish talent and acts from more exotic locals there is something for everyone. I am lucky to once again be involved as a volunteer this year, helping with front of house duties. I even have a performing part in the wonderful Tower Of Illusion attraction, more on that in another post. I will be logging these events, go t the website, grab some tickets, you won’t be disappointed!

So onto the opening Gala Show! The compere for the evening was Nigel Mead (UK). Nigel was fantastic as a compere, an easy charm and some genuinely excellent magic brought the night together wonderfully. His opening piece was a different take on the classic invisible deck, executed superbly he left he audience in no doubt that they were in for a spectacular evening.

After Nigel’s opening we got started on the acts. Max Guito (France) was first on, never an easy spot to take but the French Champion of Magic wheelie (sic) pulled out all the stops. Gliding on stage in a pair of ‘Heelie’ shoes, Max mixed magic & technology to great effect. With a laptop as his centrepiece, Max delivered some stunning cd/dvd manipulations, with the twist of feeding the discs directly into the laptop screen; some clever animation and some frankly, astonishing timing making the discs jump into the screen and back out again. But he didn’t just use the discs; no, a DVD case was in on the act as was a light bulb! Fast paced and charming this was a great opening to the show.

Rob Zabrecky (USA) came onstage impeccably dressed. Coming across as a polite yet slightly eccentric gentleman, Rob left a large cardboard box in the care of a front row audience member. A few little bits and pieces followed and then he got a volunteer up on stage. Promising to do whichever action was on the back of one of 6 cards in public with his volunteer, he used a dice to determine which action they were doing to do. A hug was the chosen outcome, which was lucky as during the hug, we all saw the backs of the other cards which all said kill! Some awkward and hilarious dancing accompanied some nice card work with a deck of cards getting smaller and smaller. His act finished with the box, now was the time we found out what was in it that was so important. Rob collected the box, and left the stage!

Xavier Tapas (Spain) performed a silent routine and for me, it was one of the most magical things I have seen. With the stage lights going up, he began his act asleep on a park bench, surrounded by rubbish. Bottles, tin foil and pizza boxes we strewn about the stage. Set to some wonderful pieces of music, Xavier picked up the rubbish and started building a little “Trash Man” part was in, as the body was being put together, a hand started to move, then a leg started kicking idly on the bench. I was sitting with baited breath watching this little man come together. “How cool would it be if it got up and walked around?” I thought, knowing in my heart of hearts it couldn’t possibly do that. Well, guess what? I was wrong. Taking his little tin foil hand Xavier encouraged his creation to stand and walked him round the stage. A hushed whisper fell over the audience; many people simply could not believe their eyes. In today’s world of technology and robotics we know these things ARE possible, I think the strength of Xaviers act was that he made us believe it wasn’t…then did it anyway. All without saying a word!

R Paul Wilson (UK) was his usual brilliant self. I have been lucky enough to see Paul perform a few times, and I am always impressed by him. Effortlessly doing close up card magic with the aid of a TV camera and a big screen Paul charmed the audience with his skill, wit and professionalism. I know others enjoyed his act as well because during the interval, whilst looking for the men’s room, an older man was smiling, engagingly at me as I walked past, twice. The second time he caught my eye, smiled broadly, placed his hand on my arm and said “I loved your act Paul, very good!” I laughed a little and replied with “Thanks very much” before legging it for the loo! I told Paul this story at the after show party about being mistaken for him and he could only apologise profusely!

Archer & Smith (UK). John Archer, a legend in UK comedy magic, the first man to fool Penn & Teller on the popular UK TV show. And a thoughraly nice man to boot. Smith came on in almost Victorian attire complete with a bowler hat and an excess of ‘H’s’ in his speech. H’exactly perfect for the H’occasion! Archer came on in a bathrobe, turning round modestly; he disrobed to cat calls and more wolf whistles and revealed a Victorian one piece swimming costume. He then thanked us, the first time of many! This was basically a very funny H’escape H’act. With Gary James pulled up onstage to wrap John in 75 feet of ‘H’unbreakable’ steel. The laughs were fast flowing and this was genuinely a roll around laughing act. I expected no less. Completing the H’escape as promised, John also affected a quick change as well before they both lest the stage to thunderous applause. Basically, it was H’excellent!

What’s not to love about Colin Cloud (UK)? I have seen his show quite a few times. Effortlessly pulling random data from thin air, Colin amazes the audience and even as a magician myself, I am left thinking “HOW? Just how?” Cracking a woman’s pin number on her iphone, He knows where people are from within seconds of meeting them. Colin’s fast paced, almost frantic at times, forensic mindreading is a joy to watch. He even correctly predicted his own death and the murder weapon right there on stage with random audience members! Incredible. Note, Colin didn’t actually die during his performance!

Ainsley Hamill & Neil Kelso (UK) were a nice change of pace. Neil came onstage as the Mad Hatter, his affable and nervous seeming style is at the same time charming and endearing. Taking the audience into his confidence, he announced the Queen of Hearts was on her way and if we were nice to her, maybe she would sing us a song. Well the Queens of Hearts arrived and boy oh boy, what a corker! Amid clapping and one or two wolf whistles the duo proceeded to give us a twisted rendition of some popular songs with Neil playing his ‘piano’ beautifully. I remember watching his hands and the skill and dexterity was just breathtaking. Not a single piece of magic was performed in the act, but it was a magical act nonetheless.

As the final act was announced, Lukas (South Korea) I turned to my man date for the evening Damon Gaunt and whispered, “This is either going to be utter poop (Poop substituted for the actual sweary word I used) or its going to be not bad.” There is a reason for my scepticism; manipulation acts bore me. I don’t know if it’s because even with years of practise I couldn’t make a card vanish unless I ate the bloody thing but usually these kind of acts are the ones I endure till the comedy comes on. I say usually, last night was a very pleasant surprise. Lukas, a Professor at the College of Magic in South Korea, (Yes! They have a Korean Hogwarts!!) is pretty bloody good. No, he is better than that, he was incredible! Deftly swapping a white silk hankie for small white balls that seemed never-ending, the act was engaging to say the least, I couldn’t look away and I noticed something, the guy almost NEVER looked at his hands. Seriously, scarily good. His music choice helped a lot as well, I personally got totally submerged in the performance and regardless if you like manipulation acts or not, any act that whisks you away from the spot your sitting in and takes you on a journey is good….no, that act is excellent.
Last edited by PeterAubery on June 28th, 2014, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrgoat

Re: Edinburgh International Magic Festival 2014

Postby mrgoat » June 28th, 2014, 6:20 am

Thanks for the review.

PeterAubery

Postby PeterAubery » July 9th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Billy Reid – Watch Closely

Billy tells you right at the start with the name of his show, to watch closely and yet practically the very first thing he does, no one see’s until he points it out to them! With his easy going manner and world class magic Billy is a rising star in the world of magic. His show at Edinburgh’s MagicFest was in the intimate Vault’s venue. A small audience in the cave like room worked perfectly for him as coins, cards and all manner of objects defied the laws of physics and just did whatever the hell he wanted them too. His coin matrix was a particular highlight for me, I have never seen it done quite the way he did it, and I have certainly never seen it done better. The audience was mesmerised at his invidible aces as well, truly stunning. Billy is wonderful, likable and going to go very, very far in this business.

PeterAubery

Postby PeterAubery » July 9th, 2014, 9:34 pm

David Blanco – Honest Lies

The charming David Blanco is very hard not to like, with his Spanish accent punctuating even the smallest uttering with a special quality you are immediately drawn in by him. That’s before he even starts doing magic. And boy oh boy, can he do magic! Sponge balls with a young volunteer from the audience become magical, rather than the tired old offering of “Oh look, there’s TWO in that hand!” That we have seen time and time again. As well as the audiene applauding and laughing along, his young volunteers giggles of delight were wonderful to hear. David comes across very much as a gentleman and its obvious from his performance that he genuinely loves the reactions his magic gets for the sense of wonder he conjures up rather than trying to show how clever he is. He is clever though, very clever. His miser’s drea routine is one of the best I have ever seen, he even uses a clear glass and that really fried my brain!

PeterAubery

Postby PeterAubery » July 9th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Colin Cloud – The Forensic Mind Reader

Colin’s show is astonishing. That’s all you really need to know. The nattily dressed Sherlock/Doctor Who’esque mind reader takes to the stage and grabs your attention from the get go. Effortlessly pulling random pieces of information from random audience members, Colin seamlessly moves from one mind miracle to another. So much so, that after the first few effects, you really believe that this man has psychic powers. I don’t want to give away any details of his actual act but it’s safe to say that your pin numbers, secret thoughts, even the money on your pocket is up for grabs to this man. Presented with an effortless style and aplomb Colin leads the show and audience from one feat to the next, simultaneously charming you to bits and frying your noodle in the same breath. The show structure is brilliant, rather than following from one effect to another, he ‘seemingly’ randomly shoots off on wild tangents, setting things in motion, only to leave them hanging. Just when you are being amazed by yet another feat of genius, he swoops in for the kill and brings up that offhand remark from ten minutes ago, and it nails home the fact that he is seriously up there with the best and most entertaining in the business.

PeterAubery

Postby PeterAubery » July 9th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Tower Of Illusion – Camera Obscura

2014 saw a brand new event added to Edinburgh International Magic Festival’s programme. The Tower Of Illusion. Held at Camera Obscura, this was a devilsh mix of The Crystal Maze and The Krypton Factor. Held on every floor of this wonderful building, contestants in teams of up to five players had to go from room to room solving challenges. Utilizing a dash of brains, a smidge of logic, a healthy dose of bravery and some serious leaps of faith the players were tested at every turn. Logic Puzzles, tasks reminiscent of the TV show ‘Knightmare’ a dragon on the roof and two exceedingly cunning (and stunningly good looking) Wizards, tried their best to prevent the challengers from completing their tasks. Players raced around this event breathlessly and with much hilarity too. I personally have heard many say it’s one of the best things they have ever been to. Of course I am in no way biased, even though I was one of the (handsome) cunning Wizards. I really hope this event goes on next year as its fun, different and just plain AWESOME!

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » July 11th, 2014, 2:31 pm

I've always been impressed by mentalism.
But I love these reviews of shows from Friday 27th July onwards.
Pure magic!

John Archer

Postby John Archer » August 12th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Just seen this review rather late peter, but thank you for the kind words.

John

Return to “Convention Reports”