MAGIC Live 2013

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

MAGIC Live 2013

Postby Steve Bryant » August 12th, 2013, 9:11 am

Those of us who couldn't make it this year would love to hear about what is going on in Las Vegas. A simple list of daily speakers/performers would be news.

Volunteers?

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Re: MAGIC Live 2013

Postby Doug Thornton » August 12th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Ok, just a few minutes to write while a technical issue is addressed. Lots of people here as always, the greats, near-greats, wish-they-could-be-greats and just grateful. We are split into two groups as is the norm.
Last night was the opening party and the dealers' room frenzy. 52 dealers? Coincidence?
Many lined up to buy the Bloom, Caveney and Kaufman books. Prizes were donated by 22 dealers.
Some of us saw Penn & Teller Saturday night at the Rio, and the Star Trek convention was there, so we crashed the costume contest. Wild. Two worlds, magic and science fiction.
Which of them are 'geekier'? There is an intersection there, a melding............? Fun times.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » August 12th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Thanks Doug - sounds great!
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » August 12th, 2013, 5:48 pm

As i hoped, Scott Wells is posting podcasts from the event. I just downloaded his first 1 hr 48 min interview from iTunes.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 12th, 2013, 9:18 pm

[quote="Doug Thornton"]
Many lined up to buy the Bloom, Caveney and Kaufman books. Prizes were donated by 22 dealers...
quote]

Hey, Doug: how does the Bloom book look? (say that 3 times fast...)

I was wondering if it were just verbatim reprints of old material or is it reedited, revised, reillustrated, etc? Just curious, since I think it's KJ's first major publishing effort.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » August 13th, 2013, 4:16 am

The "General Sessions" were hosted by Gene Anderson who amiably performed and talked about the history of the torn and restored newspaper. Jack Goldfinger also appeared with his take done to music. Michael Carbonaro shared funny clips from his "Magic Clerk" segments on "The Tonight Show Not Starring Johnny Carson". John Armato talked about marketing. Mark Kornhauser spoke about a video project regarding our first magic trick we performed.
One of the highlights of the day was Tina Lenert who took us through a look at how her "Mr. Mopman" act evolved, including the influences of the film "Rocky" and by magicians Gene Anderson, Mike Caveney and David Copperfield. We were then treated to a backstage look at Tina's preparation and then...the performance...which brought a standing ovation.

To close, a video montage of those who have passed on, which, as one of our favorite Genii Forum people mentioned, was scheduled at the wrong time after such a lovely, rousing, magical performance.

In the dealers' room some of us were lucky to catch Richard Hatch perform his Taro-san story. Well done!

There were three "Focus" sessions of which we could choose two. I caught the chat with Lubor Fiedler and Mark Setteducati where we saw many clips of Lubor's amazing creations.

David Regal and Larry Wilmore talked about writing and magic.

I did not see Mike Bent's presentation on comedy and family show work.

The evening's "Documentary Live" was the story of the Long Beach Mystics with performances. Not a perfect show, but some good stuff.

The "MAGIC Cabaret" had three acts: David Williamson bookended by John Carney as himself and Mr. Mysto. A curious mixed bag of magic and meandering...

Erdnasephile, the Gaetan Bloom books look great - although Kevin James is producing, they are published by Todd Karr's Miracle Factory. There are old notes but I do not know what has been revised.
Smiles all around

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » August 14th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Doug, any more tidbits?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 15th, 2013, 12:04 am

Josh Jay announced that he was retiring from doing the trick column in MAGIC, and Stan announced that he was going to do a streaming video convention like EMC next year.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 15th, 2013, 5:54 am

Any rumors about who is taking over the column? Josh had an really good run.

Glad someone is taking EMC's place--had a good time with that one last year.

Thanks, Doug (especially for your Bloom book comments) and Richard.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 15th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Check out www.facebook.com/fismmagic for some great video I took of Tomsoni with Lance, Penn & Teller ( warning explicit language )

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » August 15th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Josh Jay did a superb job with that column. Can't imagine how much work was involved.

You only have to check out the DVD box set of tricks from his column to see how strong the material was.

Congratulations to Josh for such a fine run. And many thanks too...

Scott Wells

Postby Scott Wells » August 17th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Most of you have heard or read snippets of information from MAGIC Live! But if you want to hear it all, then surf over to The Magic Word (http://TheMagicWordPodcast.com/) for more information than you can shake a wand at (if you don't mind me finishing a sentence with a preposition).

You can download the podcasts via Google's Feedburner or through iTunes. But I have also posted photos and videos on the website that you shouldn't miss. You can also subscribe to The Magic Word so you won't miss another current posting.

Thanks to all my friends who took some time to chat with me during the convention. And thank all of you for listening.
Visit The Magic Word at http://themagicwordpodcast.com/

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 17th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Here’s my take on my first ever “MAGIC Live!” (for those who give a hoot):

Complaint Dept.:

(We’ll just get this part out of the way early, because it’s relatively short): I think it’s kind of messed up that you cannot see all of the lectures due to overlapping schedules. I know I’m not alone in that feeling, but I don’t know if we are a minority or not. It seems to work for the producers, so what the heck.

Because of that overlapping and the multiple show times, etc. (for example, eight Close-Up show times), the printed schedule card was somewhat convoluted. With today’s technology, and since they already print out personalized tickets and whatnot, I think it wouldn’t be a stretch to print a personalized schedule card (you know, the one that fits inside the badge). That way I would only have one Close-Up show on my schedule. Just a thought.

Closing a session with an “In Memoriam” didn’t work for me. Tina Lenert gets her well-deserved standing ovation—which should have closed the session—but wait! Now here are the dead guys! You don’t close on a downer.

And the most common complaint I heard: The likelihood of overweight baggage when flying home (see Commerce Dept. below).

Shows and Sessions Dept.:

The best show for me was the Close-Up show produced by Jon Armstrong. Great talent (Johan Ståhl, Simon Coronel, Dennis Behr, Steve Valentine, Yann Frisch), each representing international magic venues—not countries, otherwise the USA had a Brit as its representative. The venue setup was terrific. I was in the back row and could see just fine.

Next on the list was the “Documentary Live: DeMystified” on the Long Beach Mystics: Mike Caveney, Stan Allen, James Hamilton (as Herrmann), Victor & Diamond, Michael Weber, Kalin & Jinger, Kevin James, Randy Pryor, David Deeble, Armando Lucero, Dana Daniels, Les Arnold and Dazzle, with Mark Kalin returning to close the show with his billiard ball turn. Oh, and Stan; you look great in a dress.

The Cabaret run by Paul Draper and staring John Carney and David Williamson is next on my list. The pants gag between DW and Mr. Mysto didn’t (technically) work in the show I was in, but I told David and John that it was okay, I peed myself laughing.

The closing gala was just okay for me. It had a few rough spots here and there, and some bright spots here and there, but it did close VERY strong. I can’t recall the name of the juggler in the penultimate spot, but the closing act was Yu Ho Jin—working injured after a serious car wreck! What a trooper!

Commerce Dept.:

The “Magic Shop” (Dealers’ Room) was unbelievable, and I think that they all left happy. Between Mike Caveney and Gaetan Bloom’s Magnus Opuses (Opi?) along with everything else available there that was selling like hotcakes—like Richard Kaufman and Steve Cohen’s new book, Japan Ingenious, a lot of luggage on return flights was probably overweight. In fact, I heard many people say that their baggage would be overweight. So the all the nickel & dime airlines were happy too.

Memories Dept.:

Tina’s standing ovation (I saw the first show she did and I am convinced she was truly surprised and definitely moved by the well-deserved recognition).

Gene Anderson and the history of the T&R Newspaper.

Master Payne’s presentations (both of them—and I hate—I’m using the word “HATE” here—PowerPoint; it is the original bane of human communication skills: 6x6 my aching a$$).

Michael Carbonaro: “Magic Clerk” and “Shaving Dream.”

Wayne Dobson leveling the room from a wheelchair.

Sir-Patrick and the evolution of a magician (with Joanie Spina’s help): the warm-fuzzy of the event.
JS (after his standing ovation): “Any questions?”
Michael Weber: “Joanie, after that reaction you take it and get off.”

Michael Weber’s line about phone books.

Michael Weber and Alan Edelstein on the Ricky Jay movie.

NOT being able to see the “Experts at the Card Table” DAMMIT!

Watching Gabe Fajuri eat an entire fingernail (one of his, of course) at the live Potter & Potter auction.

Seeing THE creepiest lot in the auction get the highest realized price!

Funny rumors (‘nuff said).

Lubor Fiedler. Period.

Tomsoni and Company and his farewell performance (yeah, right: the only way that’s a lock is if his tux and stuff goes into the Copperfield Collection and he can’t get to it anymore!).

Meeting Genii Forum Members in person and seeing old friends not seen since Louisville in 2008.

And finally (for the week in general), my extracurricular activities courtesy of Richard Kaufman and David Copperfield.

Thanks to all!!!

Dustin

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 17th, 2013, 4:03 pm

One more thing: There is a trivia contest on the current Magic Castle Happenings thread that can land you a MAGIC Live! shoulder bag. Check it out...

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 17th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:Here’s my take on my first ever “MAGIC Live!” (for those who give a hoot):

Complaint Dept.:

(We’ll just get this part out of the way early, because it’s relatively short): I think it’s kind of messed up that you cannot see all of the lectures due to overlapping schedules. I know I’m not alone in that feeling, but I don’t know if we are a minority or not. It seems to work for the producers, so what the heck....(snip)

...And the most common complaint I heard: The likelihood of overweight baggage when flying home (see Commerce Dept. below).

Thanks for your perspectives, Dustin.

To your first point: 1+ -- they really shouldn't make you choose between events.

To the second: someone ought to run the numbers of having a UPS Store booth at these conventions that would pack and ship all your stuff. Given that some airlines excess baggage fees outstrip that of shipping a UPS package, I'd bet they'd probably do some business at a very large convention (are you listening IBM/SAM? :D )

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 18th, 2013, 12:14 am

There was a desk on the second floor of the Orleans, right at the top of the escalator, that would ship packages for your. It wasn't cheap, but they did ship packages. Most hotels will, for a fee.

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » August 18th, 2013, 1:21 am

Dustin Stinett wrote:Here’s my take on my first ever “MAGIC Live!” (for those who give a hoot):

Complaint Dept.:

(We’ll just get this part out of the way early, because it’s relatively short): I think it’s kind of messed up that you cannot see all of the lectures due to overlapping schedules. I know I’m not alone in that feeling, but I don’t know if we are a minority or not. It seems to work for the producers, so what the heck.

Because of that overlapping and the multiple show times, etc. (for example, eight Close-Up show times), the printed schedule card was somewhat convoluted. With today’s technology, and since they already print out personalized tickets and whatnot, I think it wouldn’t be a stretch to print a personalized schedule card (you know, the one that fits inside the badge). That way I would only have one Close-Up show on my schedule. Just a thought.

I regularly attend academic conferences, and overlapping sessions there are par for the course. At an academic conference I attended a week before Magic Live, there were as many as 10 sessions running concurrently. You attend one, and you miss the other nine. So the overlapping session situation at Magic Live wasn't that bad, in comparison.

Having said that, there seemed to be enough slack time in the Magic Live schedule that I would have thought it possible to make all sessions available to all attendees.

I agree that personalized schedule cards would have been nice, but I can also see how that might open up a can of worms (e.g., increasing the chance of misprints). Really, though, I didn't think it was that much of a bother highlighting / crossing out the sessions I was / was not supposed to attend.

I guess I should mention that there were a lot of great moments at Magic Live. Personally, I loved the juggler and the manipulator in the gala show. The dove lecture and the Tomsoni & Co. act (which I had seen a version of previously). Meeting Johnny T., Penn, and Teller (among others). And the solo (non-Mysto) presentation by David Williamson brought tears to my eyes, I was laughing so hard.

I was really looking forward to the Ricky Jay documentary, but it underwhelmed. It was nicely done, but I found it not that interesting. Perhaps because there was nothing really new in it for me? But others seated near me in the theatre appeared to share my sentiments (judging from comments I overheard).

AJM

Postby AJM » August 18th, 2013, 4:43 am

Given the silly shipping charges levied by US mailing companies I could probably get books shipped to the UK cheaper if I booked them each a seat in BA Club Class.

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 18th, 2013, 11:42 am

I don't like the shipping charges any more than you do, Andrew. The cheapest we've been able to find is $5+ per pound, which includes tracking. And that's with a private company, not the post office (which would be more).

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » August 18th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Richard, what company are you talking about at $5+ er pound?

Jeff

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 18th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Our little secret.

Doug Thornton

Postby Doug Thornton » August 18th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Ok, the time flies and I didn't get a moment to write so here are a bunch of followup notes. Thankfully, Dustin has filled in a lot of the blanks (as well as Richard and David Scollnik) but here goes :

I was pleased to get to see the Ricky Jay film, "Deceptive Practice" on a big screen (there is a multiplex in the Orleans and one theatre was used for the screening.)
The next day Michael Weber interviewed the director, Alan Edelstein, who gave us some extra information.
Hopefully the dvd release (hinted at, confirmed, then denied, or was it?) is not too far off and will have plenty of extras.

There were a few "Focus" sessions that stood out.

Lubor Fiedler.

Gaetan Bloom.

What could Lubor and Gaetan create if they spent a month together? They could probably save the world.

Yann Frisch. Even when he showed how he accomplishes some of his cup and balls moves I was still baffled.

The four guys sharing card sleights were outstanding. They were : Alan Ackerman, Jason England, Steve Reynolds and R. Paul Wilson. Paul taught a very cool trick from Roy Walton.

Other speakers who were generous with their time : Fielding West, Mike Bent, Ian Rowland, Kevin Spencer, Justin Flom, Bill Abbott.

The closeup show was set up well as always. There were five performers, four that I really liked. Dustin listed the names above.

Yes, Wayne Dobson charmed us as only he can. It was great to see him having as much fun as the audience.

"I should have listened to Pat Page..."

"What did he tell you?"

"...I don't know, I wasn't listening."

Joanie Spina shared how she mentored a young man, Patrick Thernes. We saw two clips of rather flat performances. Then Patrick performed the new act. It was stunning how Joanie's direction transformed this young man. It was exhilarating! A standing O.

The stage show was fair, although the audience ate up most of it. Topas was the MC and had some fun moments. Gaetan Bloom performed his masterful act of misdirection with his scissors, microphone and cord having lives of their own. It is a great act though it wasn't exactly his best in my opinion. Then at Topas' urging he did a card manipulation act which should have been left out.

Yes, of course, the juggler, Paul Ponce, got a standing ovation. He juggled three pins, then four, then five. The reaction was big. And then he started tossing small sombrero-like hats into the air and caught them as they boomeranged back to him. The crowd went wild as he continued tossing hats while making his way into the audience, climbing across a row of people and then returning to the stage.

The young man from South Korea, Yu Ho Jin performed his award-winning, yet simple and low-key card manipulation act. A standing ovation. The show was over but not quite. Topas informed us that Yu was recently in a car accident and had been in a wheelchair for the past days but still rose above the difficulty and dazzled us, not with flash but quiet card illusions.

Prior to the "Finally" party there were rumors that Johnny and Pam Thompson would perform for the final time as Tomsoni & Company. (Magicians, we all know, can be terrible at keeping secrets.) When we saw Penn & Teller and Lance Burton walking in, the rumor became fact and Stan took the stage and introduced Tomsoni & Company. There was a live band backing them and the comedy act hit the beats perfectly. It was a charming moment, met by raucous applause and cheers.

Dustin wrote: "Tomsoni and Company and his farewell performance (yeah, right: the only way that’s a lock is if his tux and stuff goes into the Copperfield Collection and he can’t get to it anymore!)."

(So, my question : What are they going to do at TAOM?.......)

Penn, Teller and Lance stepped onstage and embraced their heroes and thanked them for their friendship and mentoring.

Oh, yeah, it was nice to see the Lance Burton dancers (eight, count 'em, eight) who brought out cake for all.

The next MAGIC Live will be in three years - 2016. It will be the 25th anniversary of the magazine.

The night after, Thursday, I went to see David Copperfield's show. The Chief Genii and his Overlord, Richard and Dustin, were seated an appearing cane's length away and we had a lively chat. The show has some new pieces including a cool levitation performed in the audience. It is the creation of Losander and I look forward to seeing it again.
(Oh, and Dustin said I could share that he (Dustin) had a goofy grin on his face during the entire show.)
David was in top form. Thanks again, David, for your kindness.

Thanks, of course, to the MAGIC Live staff. You work hard to bring joy.

It was a great week and I hope to see many of you in 2016 !
Smiles all around

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » August 19th, 2013, 5:04 pm

This was my first Magic Live.
It had a lot of dealers but this time I didn't buy so much. The convention was ... unconventional in the sense the lectures were more like panels, interviws and chats than about tricks as is used in other conventions.

Mi higlights was Lubor Fiedler, Yann Frsich team (as a dancer for me was sublime to watch the projects they have mixing dance and magic) Gaetan Bloom & Kevin James. To watch Jhonny Thompson explaining his dove movements was so good. He has a very clean technique. Michael Carbonaro's magic clerk.

The close-up show was great, I didn't like so much the cabaret show, I think Mysto downed the timing. Adding that as a foreign a lot of gags wasn't enterily understandables to me. Maybe cultural barriers.

I listened that The Documentary Live was better in the second show (I watched that) To see Kalin & Jinger on stage always is so great.

My friends said the shows was "extranges", was very good, but with no much magic. There was a lot of comedy and juggling. They are right, very great shows, but maybe I would like to see more magic.

My highlights in shows was all the close-up artists, Yu Ho Jin, Paul Ponce and Xavier Mortimer.

I would like the schedules would be clearer in order to could plan some outside activities.

I missed Michael Weber and Joanie Spina and they were persons I wanted to watch, but I was invited to lunch with some friends (old and news) and returned late to see the session complete. Anyway, was time well used and as the Magic Live team said "this convention is about friends"

on Saturday I was to see Penn & Teller at Rio and yes, I spent all the day at Star Trek convention. I was some of these geek guys :P in fact I attended the convention and show in star trek uniform. The show was sold out a friend (my roommate at Genii Bash) told me he couldn't find a ticket.

After the convention I attended to watch Nathan Burton show with Armando Vera preshow. I don´t like so much Nathan's work but Armando has a very good close-up act. He had some children with the mouth so open and a great astounded face.
Andres Reynoso

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » August 19th, 2013, 5:08 pm

And how I could forgeet to mention Tina Lenert and Mr Mopman. I never imagined I could watch live this masterpiece
Andres Reynoso

NYCJoePItt

Postby NYCJoePItt » August 20th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Hopefully, everyone got the final set of notes after the finally party. I missed them, but a good friend got a set for me. It is only three pages, but it completes the set.

I don't have much to add, but I loved most of Magic Live this year. I thought the audio and video were top notch for the most part. My favorite was the Close-Up room and performances, the variety was great and the execution top-notch and just fun.

Another highlight for me was Wayne Dobson. He is just :o 'ing funny. Kudos to Jeff McBride for making that interview what it was.

The only thing that wasn't my favorite was the closing show (and I'm sure I am in the minority here.) Erix Logan was a bit too much style and not enough substance for me. Topas was not the most dynamic host I have ever witnessed. And while everyone else seemed to just adore Paul Ponce, I was just glad he didn't come through my aisle. On the other hand, Gaetan Bloom was clever as always. and the two Korean magicians performed some quite stunning and original magic.

I hope the Magic Live Anniversary in 2016 is as least as good as the Genii Birthday Bash. A tall order indeed...

Master Payne

Postby Master Payne » August 23rd, 2013, 12:19 am

Complaint Dept.:

I like the multiple bands of programming. But then I'm used to Science Fiction and Fandom Conventions that have multiple tracks of programming. This makes it impossible for anyone to see everything as there are 10 to 15 things (if not more) going on at the same time. So there is always something to do or see.

My first major convention was a WMS back in 2002 and it had hours and hours of hours and hours. Everything I wanted to see was held at 1:00 a.m. It was the worst convention I have ever been to. So bad I vowed never to attend another WMS.

I've always found it odd that magic conventions have a single track and everyone expects to go to everything. I for one am not interested in seeing everything that might be offered at a convention. I know this time there were several panels that I had no interest in going to. Not that I could anyway as this time all my time was chewed up backstage at the general sessions or trying to sell my Steampunk Card Ducks in the dealers room. I made it to one and a half lectures.

But I still had a great time at MAGIC Live and I hope not to miss the next one.
The only way to become a good magician is to overcome why you became a magician -- Max Maven

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » August 25th, 2013, 12:37 am

Payne..............for me you were the highlight of Magic Live!!! JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Doug Thornton

Postby Doug Thornton » October 13th, 2013, 1:24 am

A report on Joanie Spina with a citing of her work at MAGIC Live.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/ ... rmer-assi/
Smiles all around

Return to “Convention Reports”