A New Attraction?

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
fredreisz
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

A New Attraction?

Postby fredreisz » October 18th, 2014, 11:32 pm

I have not been aware of the following product, perhaps you have. In its holder, at first, it has the appearance of Scotch Magic Tape. However, it is "magnetic" tape. You can cut off lengths just like other tape. Then, you attach the sticky side to something and you have a small magnet on the other side. I suspect it is meant for paper items, photos, etc. to place them on your refrigerator, etc. It will not hold heavier items, except perhaps if you cover them with it. I must experiment.

There must be magical uses for this....of what do you think?

1. For attaching summary instructions on your metal effects;
2. perhaps usable with coin shims to make them magnetic;
3. does this have potential for switching in and out items because you could
pick them up surreptitiously;
4. Perhaps in making a "holdout" by placing the tape low on you arm or at the wrist, you could pickup light items attracted to a magnet secretly;
5. for placing magnets on curve items.

Now here is a bonus. The following site has a "Buy One Get One" special on this weekend. (I have no relationship to them!) Check it out..

http://www.dreamproducts.com/magic-magn ... za_Listrak

Peace...Fred (Reisz)
"The art of magic is the magic of art."

Tom Moore

Re: A New Attraction?

Postby Tom Moore » October 19th, 2014, 11:38 am

It (and variations on it) have been out for years. There's very very little power to the magnet (it's not an NdFeB "earth" magnet) and doesn't have the power to do any of the things you mention; it basically is for holding bits of paper to a metal surface and that's about all.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

lybrary

Postby lybrary » October 19th, 2014, 1:55 pm

How thin is this tape? The ones I am familiar with are quite thick, on the order of 1mm. If this is significantly thinner it might be useful.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » October 19th, 2014, 3:53 pm

Check out the 2nd photo on the product page. It appears to be as thick as the old stuff, and they're using a huge piece on the single sheet of paper.

But in the grand tradition of magic, someone could repackage this at sell it at 400% markup. :)

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”