MirACAAN by Dorian Caudal

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

MirACAAN by Dorian Caudal

Postby Tom Frame » July 20th, 2014, 2:56 pm

MirACAAN (Book) by Dorian Caudal 39€ + 5€ S&H / $60.00
8.25” x 5.75”, multi-colored, soft covers, perfect-binding, 70 pages, 22 illustrations and tables
Available at: http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan

Dorian Caudal is a French magician and neuroscientist, living in Stockholm. Here we have his version of ACAAN.

Considering that English is not Mr. Caudal’s primary language, his writing is comprehensible and he does an adequate job of teaching his method. He dutifully cites his inspirational sources.

The booklet is well produced and attractive. The illustrations and tables are clear and helpful.

Click on the link above to read the misleading hype and watch the two performance videos. The first performance exemplifies the optimal scenario. The second performance was interminable and gave me Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Or, read the following generalized description of what may occur.

A cased deck of cards is sitting on the table. A participant freely names any card and any number between 1 and 52.

22% of the time, she will remove the deck from the case and use it. Sometimes, she will deal while holding the deck face down, sometimes it will be face up. Sometimes, she will directly count to her number and find her card.

Most of the time, she will cut the deck and/or she, or the performer, will displace a card or two before she counts the cards.

78% of the time, after the participant names her card and number, she removes another deck from the performer’s pocket. The deck on the table may or may not be used as part of the performance. Some form of the aforementioned handling scenarios will occur.

Mr. Caudal’s method requires mastery of a memorized deck and you’ll need to be packing more than one of them. If your enquiring mind needs to know how many decks are required, Mr. Caudal reveals the answer on the MirACAAN thread at the Magic Café.

You must learn an algorithmic process that will guide your every action. Therefore, you must execute mental calculations while simultaneously interacting graciously with your participant. The process is a bit intimidating but, if it’s any consolation, it easier than memorizing a deck.

However, it will take considerable practice to quickly plot your course and smoothly sail to your deceptive destination without letting your thinking show.

I applaud Mr. Caudal’s creativity. On an intellectual level, I like his thinking. But from a practical standpoint, his method doesn’t appeal to me.

If you’re skilled with a memorized deck, you probably already possess a method or two with which to perform ACAAN, without resorting to multiple decks.

If you haven’t memorized a deck, are you willing to do so for this one effect?

There are a number of effective non-memdeck approaches that don’t require multiple decks.

While Mr. Caudal’s thinking is commendable and worthy of inclusion in the Published Record, his product doesn’t merit the price tag. I can’t justify paying $60.00 to lug around multiple decks and use an algorithm to perform one effect.

Not Recommended

friboudi

Re: MirACAAN by Dorian Caudal

Postby friboudi » July 20th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Thanks for the kind words about the book, illustrations, tables, my thinking and my creativity, Tom, that is really appreciated.

You mention that there is “misleading hype”, this is simply not true. The effect is always hands off.

Maybe you did not read the entire book, because as reading you, you only FOCUS on the VIDEO demo. This demo only refers to one chapter of the book. All the other methods I teach in the book are NOT on this demo video. Maybe you have to read the text again more carefully to understand that. Also, the second method is the worst scenario. I think I did an honest video demo, showing two cases, you cannot blame that. A lot of magicians nowadays ONLY show you the best case.

Moreover, when you say “Most of the time, she will cut the deck and/or she, or the performer, will displace a card or two before she counts the cards.”, this is not true, it is NOT “most of the time”. AGAIN, can you read the text more carefully before commenting?
Also, as you write “she removes another deck from the performer’s pocket.”, may I remind you that this is only ONE possible presentation, and that I teach several other presentations in the book? These seem to have disappeared from your review.

It is true that the method behind MirACAAN is not for everyone, as I told in the ad. You need to know a memdeck and be able to calculate. Don’t be misled by the fact it requires an “algorithm”, it is not true. I would not call it an algorithm, as it is much easy than that.

When you say “If you’re skilled with a memorized deck, you probably already possess a method or two with which to perform ACAAN, without resorting to multiple decks.”, I would answer that it is true that other methods are very good, but they require the magician to touch the cards, not in MirACAAN, in which the deck stays untouched, and most importantly in which the spectator always sees ONE deck, and never suspect the existence of several decks.
Also, why didn’t you comment on the chapter around influence, qoc theory, etc. ?

A lot of serious magicians loved my method, one of them being Marc Paul, a serious worker and Berglas admirer. The thing is that you have to see MirACAAN as a SYSTEM, not a “trick”, or one “effect”, as Tom Frame says, and I think this is what gave you some trouble.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 20th, 2014, 7:21 pm

The original Berglas method is a system with many branches. If you must touch the deck, the spectators will not recall it as important or related to the end result. Different methods are needed if you lack the presentational chops to pull off the psychology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

friboudi

Postby friboudi » July 23rd, 2014, 7:07 am

I contacted Tom Frame yesterday because despite the fact that this review is his own opinion, that I truely respect, I think it was really important to know if he had read the entire book. He told me yes.

But from his review, full of exposure (that is a shame), it seems not. But as he told me that he read everything and had nothing to add, I consider that this current review is not complete, and is lacking big parts of the book.

I am curious to know if mister Frame has read the Berglas book written by Richard Kaufman, by the way... and if he really understood the "philosophy" behind MirACAAN.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 23rd, 2014, 9:59 am

You really sound like a whiny little girl. If you can't handle opinions, stop releasing products.

You're making yourself look bad with all this...

friboudi

Postby friboudi » July 23rd, 2014, 10:10 am

mrgoat wrote:You really sound like a whiny little girl. If you can't handle opinions, stop releasing products.

You're making yourself look bad with all this...

Ahah! That made me laugh ;) I can honestly promise you that I am not that kind of person. Of course, I CAN handle opinions, but only if they are honest and relying on the entire work I have put into this, and not only a part.

Final word.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 23rd, 2014, 10:26 am

You've already been told mr frame read the book. He just didn't like it.

I respect his reviews hugely. He is always very honest.

I think someone should call the waaaambulance for you.

friboudi

Postby friboudi » July 25th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Hello !

I have created a free and private facebook group for the owners of MirACAAN. It will be a good place to discuss new ideas around MirACAAN, suggestions, advice, anecdotes, reports of how it went when you tried it for spectators, etc.

I will add in the next days a wonderful idea received yesterday by another magician, making MirACAAN simpler than it is now, if you find it not so easy in its actual form. You will like it, I am sure. And I hope more ideas will continue to flow from the MirACAAN tool.

So, how to join the group ? Add me on facebook (I don't know, maybe not mandatory...) or just
write me a pm request on facebook to join the group by telling me the last word of page 23.

Hope to see you there :)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 25th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Is the word "spam"?

friboudi

Postby friboudi » January 6th, 2015, 9:37 am

In the next few months, new version of MirACAAN coming out !

Thanks to the comments, including the one by Tom Frame, I have created a simplified and easier to perform version. No complicated things to memorize.

Check out the new demo:

in english : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm84iP7TWBI

in french: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY6Z6BzNWPw

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 6th, 2015, 9:54 am

I look forward to Tom Frame's review of the new uncomplicated version.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » January 6th, 2015, 12:06 pm

Let's see if he sends it to me for review....

friboudi

Postby friboudi » October 19th, 2015, 3:52 am

Here is an official review of MirACAAN version 2, for those who speak french...

http://www.virtualmagie.com/articles/cr ... an-caudal/

A short extract from the conclusion:

"MirACAAN 2 from Dorian Caudal completely fulfills the conditions of the ACAAN effect, and you can bluff any magician or intellectual who challenges you to perform this effect in a pure manner.

Unless you control the method of the Master Berglas (published in "The Berglas Effects" by Richard Kaufman), which requires even more work, and perfect control of the audience, I think MirACAAN 2 is the only method published that fulfills all the ACAAN criteria.

This method is now becoming accessible thanks to Dorian Caudal and it seems to me that every magician and mentalist should have this book in his magic library."

mr_goat
Favorite Magician: Glenn Bishop

Postby mr_goat » October 19th, 2015, 4:51 am

friboudi wrote:Here is an official review of MirACAAN version 2

I prefer the "official review" right here on the genii forum, where the product was not recommended.

Seriously though, if you want an advert, buy one, they are disgustingly cheap. No need to keep bumping a thread where you got a bad review and cried about it.
Yes, it is mrgoat, I just can't log in with old account.

friboudi

Postby friboudi » October 19th, 2015, 8:15 am

mr_goat wrote:
friboudi wrote:Here is an official review of MirACAAN version 2

I prefer the "official review" right here on the genii forum, where the product was not recommended.

Seriously though, if you want an advert, buy one, they are disgustingly cheap. No need to keep bumping a thread where you got a bad review and cried about it.

Yes, but the official review made by Tom Frame was for the older version of the book. Since that, improvements have been made.

The link I provided above is for the second version of the book, MirACAAN 2.

performer

Postby performer » October 19th, 2015, 8:41 am

I have the best version of the lot. I invented it in seconds when I was selling svengali decks. I was daydreaming while the words were coming out of my mouth. That often happens when you sell svengali decks for years on end. You are working and thinking of other things. Sometimes I wonder if I have said the same thing twice or am repeating a trick I have already performed.

My method will get a FAR better reaction than the Berglas thing which I regard as "conjuring for conjurers" as old time magicians would say. And my method is a hell of a lot faster. The supposed advantages of hands off the deck (and half the time it isn't hands off the deck anyway) and the spectator dealing the cards himself takes too bloody long and the average lay audience has fallen asleep before you get to the end of the trick unless of course you possess my brilliant showmanship which of course none of you do.

Do this instead. Get a svengali deck, fan it in front of a person with the faces towards him, showing all the cards to be identical. Of course you will have to obtain my masterful book on the subject to do this. However, there is a way to fan a svengali deck so that only identical cards show. Say to some cheerful type "Think of any card you see. Don't move a muscle. Don't say anything. Just think of one" So you make an impromptu stooge out of him.

Have any number named. At this point you can bore the crap out of everyone by having someone else deal down to the number but I think in the real world of fast paced entertainment you are better off dealing them yourself. And of course with a svengali deck you can deal to whatever card they name.

OK. Some of you snobby types will look down on the svengali deck so I will tell you how to do the same thing with a regular deck. Do a blank fan and use the same patter and technique to make the guy turn into an impromptu stooge. He can only see the face card so obviously that is the one that he will think of. This is an old stunt but works well.

Now since the card is on the bottom all you have to do is deal to the number and when you get there do a bottom deal. There. Problem solved. I invented this in seconds too.

OK. Even though the two methods above will outclass any other methods IN THE REAL WORLD I can still sense great desires to have a card named rather than selected. Lot of daft magicians who don't perform that much think it makes a difference when I know perfectly well that it doesn't.

OK. I will now tell you how to make people name any card you want. How you get the card to that number I will let you all figure out yourselves as you all seem to have a lot of time on your hands to worry about this daft trick which I have always considered over rated.

It has the disadvantage that it doesn't always work but 7 times out of ten isn't bad. You find out what individual people are prone to name. Try it on David Berglas himself providing he hasn't read this and I guarantee you he will say the ten of clubs.

However, those of you who are not as psychic as myself can try this. I invented this decades ago and told a few people about it but Martin Breese was the only one who noticed it and devoted a few lines to it somewhere or other. He was nice enough to credit me for it. It is ideal if you set it up days beforehand. Sometimes I have set it up weeks beforehand. Of course, you may not be able to set it up so far in advance but if you do it the same evening try and delay it for at least 15 minutes before you perform the trick.

You do the old gag. "Name a card" and when they name it and it is the wrong one you say "Not only have I found the ten of clubs I have changed it to the ace of spades" It will get a laugh but you have also done something terribly clever. You have found out what card the person is liable to name! However, there are a couple of caveats, the most important of which is to rush them slightly. Say "Name a card quickly" for example. And you should pick the right type of person. Judging people when you do card magic is as important as manipulating the cards. Pick someone who is relaxed and laughing. The sort of person you would pick to do the classic force on come to think of it.

Now when you do the card at any number thing you again rush them slightly and say, "Name any card. Quickly!" They will say the same card if you do it right. There is actually a psychological way of getting them to say the number you want too and it works quite well but I think the trick becomes too chancy if you resort to that.

I think the svengali deck method I mentioned first is the best one to do in the real world. It might not fit the rules required for this trick but those rules are a load of old baloney anyway. I work for laymen and like to get things over and done with rather than spend ten minutes faffling about in the way the trick is usually presented.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 19th, 2015, 10:10 am

David Berglas's method was an integral part of his show for many years, not just something he did to fool magicians.

Doing any card at any number with a Svengali deck was published half a century ago!

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » October 19th, 2015, 10:21 am

I’ve used Si Stebbins forever, but memdecks are not for me. Personal preference. Knowing that this handling requires a memorised pack was valuable information. As indeed was the fact that it requires more than one.

As a general rule, I don’t mind “Outs, Ifs Buts and Maybes,” but there are limits, and from Tom Frame’s summary, this went off the scale very early on.

As Mister Frame suggests, it sounds like an interesting academic exercise, but does not sound like a performance piece. Possibly it is. I remain unconvinced, but that’s just me.

I’m also curious as to why “a simplified and easier to perform version. No complicated things to memorize…” wasn’t offered in the first place.

As for the svengali version, I’m surprised it’s “only” 50 years. :)

performer

Postby performer » October 19th, 2015, 10:21 am

Yes, of course it was. Great minds think alike and naturally I have a great mind. However, my method of fanning the cards to let someone think of one wasn't around years ago although of course I derived it because of the blank fan idea.

David showed me that Card At Any Number thing years ago and I just thought it was some ordinary card trick or other.

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » October 19th, 2015, 11:13 am

friboudi wrote:The link I provided above is for the second version of the book, MirACAAN 2.

Maybe it would have been better to start a new thread about it then, rather than remind people how you react to negative criticism. Or, you know, buy an advert ;)

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » October 19th, 2015, 11:36 am

Britland published the idea of using a reverse cut sven deck for doing card at any number on his blog some time ago. It's very clever. I had much fun fooling very knowledgeable magicians with it at the castle. In fact, after fooling Howard Hamburg with it, about an hour later he came up to me and said "you were just using a CENSORED svengali deck, you little CENSORED".

Very satisfying.

friboudi

Postby friboudi » October 19th, 2015, 11:42 am

mr_goat wrote:
friboudi wrote:The link I provided above is for the second version of the book, MirACAAN 2.

Maybe it would have been better to start a new thread about it then, rather than remind people how you react to negative criticism. Or, you know, buy an advert ;)

No, it is not my style to begin a new thread, trying to erase what has been said before. I like to be transparent in terms of my writings and particularly concerning MirACAAN.

Tom's review was honest, as I said, but he forgot important parts of the book, and focused his review on some parts only, thus making the initial review incomplete.

Now the book has been updated, for those who found my method too difficult. I also describe a way of performing MirACAAN even if you don't know a stack and if you are not good at maths ;)

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » October 19th, 2015, 12:11 pm

friboudi wrote:
Tom's review was honest, as I said, but he focused his review on some parts only, thus making the initial review incomplete.

Not in his opinion, as you stated, you contacted him crying and he said he had nothing to add to the review.

friboudi

Postby friboudi » October 19th, 2015, 3:25 pm

mr_goat wrote:
friboudi wrote:
Tom's review was honest, as I said, but he focused his review on some parts only, thus making the initial review incomplete.

Not in his opinion, as you stated, you contacted him crying and he said he had nothing to add to the review.

Please, mr goat, can you stop polluting this thread ? You are clearly acting like a troll. I even received messages from people here supporting me and who also think you are a bit off topic and annoying.

Thank you.

mr_goat

Postby mr_goat » October 19th, 2015, 4:10 pm

friboudi wrote:
mr_goat wrote:
friboudi wrote:

Please, mr goat, can you stop polluting this thread ? You are clearly acting like a troll. I even received messages from people here supporting me and who also think you are a bit off topic and annoying.

Thank you.

If you want control of your spam, buy an ad.

In addition, nonsense. Please post just three of the many messages of support you claim you received. Redact the names. Rk or Dustin can confirm their authenticity.

I call BS.

performer

Postby performer » October 19th, 2015, 4:39 pm

I watched one of the videos. It reminded me a bit of the lazy man's card trick! Maybe that is part of the method!

I cannot comment on the book since I haven't read it and I do not wish to comment on the performance. I shall merely say that I wish the author the best of luck. Creativity is not an easy matter.

I still prefer my own methods already explained. At least the svengali deck system is direct and you do what you are supposed to do. No distractions or cutting the deck.

Come to think of it the old method where you control a selected card to the top and count the cards in reverse order and slam them face up when you get to the correct number is probably just as good to laymen. I did that when I was a small child in Glasgow.

Or if you really want to get more complicated I have always loved "The Magic Breath" trick described in Modern Magic Manual. It is more entertaining than the bloody card at any number anyway no matter which method is used.

friboudi

Postby friboudi » October 20th, 2015, 3:29 am

performer wrote:I watched one of the videos. It reminded me a bit of the lazy man's card trick! Maybe that is part of the method!

Not that method :)

performer wrote: I cannot comment on the book since I haven't read it and I do not wish to comment on the performance. I shall merely say that I wish the author the best of luck. Creativity is not an easy matter.

Thanks foryou kind words !

performer wrote: I still prefer my own methods already explained. At least the svengali deck system is direct and you do what you are supposed to do. No distractions or cutting the deck.

It's clear that with the Svengali it's more direct, and as efficient as any other method, from the spectator's point of view. We, as magicians, often tend to complicate things and try to achieve stuff that completely passes along the spectator's mind. Thus, our job is to enhance our effects and make the spectator appreciate all the impossibility of what has happened.

performer wrote: Or if you really want to get more complicated I have always loved "The Magic Breath" trick described in Modern Magic Manual.

This trick is nice yes, always fun to perform it. :)

performer

Postby performer » October 20th, 2015, 6:11 am

At least you have heard of the "Magic Breath" trick! I have a suspicion that others may not!

With regard to your point about enhancing the effect and making sure that the spectator appreciates the impossibility of what happens this is of course true but I think you have to be a real showman to do that. And of course we know Berglas is a showman. Alas most performers don't have this attribute.

The danger in that approach is that with some performers this can result in things getting long winded and become dull. I have seen people getting carried away with their own verbosity and trying to overprove things instead of getting on with the job.

I consider this to be a three minute trick at the most. If it goes over three minutes then I don't think the waffle is worth the supposed advantages of pointing out the impossibility of what has happened.

You are correct in saying that laymen don't always appreciate the finer points of a trick unless it is pointed out to them. My own tendency, however is to get the bloody thing over and done with and do something more direct and uncomplicated.

Having said that I just thought of a complicated method as I am typing! I am quite sure it is completely useless but here is a thought! Have a spectator write down any card and any number on a piece of paper which nobody can see. Do the centre tear and find out what they wrote. Then waffle for ages and ages as seems to be the usual custom with this trick and that will give you time to arrange everything in your favour.

I have just realised what an awful solution that is! On second thoughts I am going to stick to the svengali deck method!

performer

Postby performer » June 30th, 2016, 11:41 pm

I actually purchased the Berglas book yesterday. I have only read the first few pages. I have seen David performing many times close up and on stage over many years. I am quite surprised how astute Richard is in figuring out how David goes about things. He describes it very shrewdly and accurately.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 1st, 2016, 11:14 am

Thank you, Mark. I had a lot of help from the man himself.

performer

Postby performer » July 1st, 2016, 1:43 pm

He spent an evening coaching me once when I was 16 years old. He has probably regretted it ever since. I remember him doing one of the things in the book that you describe with the waitress and the picture on the wall. Of course the time he showed me there was no picture on the wall so he just put one card from another deck aside as a prediction. He did the face up force but on this occasion he did it with 5 cards rather than three as described with the waitress. I remember he kept saying "Don't pre select one. Just touch one" I didn't know at the time he was forcing the card but I realised it later. When I did touch the card he wanted he did a kind of risky double bluff kind of thing. He did not seize on the fact straight away that I touched the card he wanted but almost tried to talk me out of it. He said, "I told you not to pre select a card. Are you sure you want that one?" He must have sized me up and knew I would say "yes" and of course I did. However, he also said, "but you didn't touch that one-you actually touched this one" and indicated the one beside it. I suppose I might partially have touched that one too but not by much. A risky strategy because I could simply have said, "OK, in that case I'll pick this one" and chose the wrong card.

Anyway he showed me five cards one of which was the forced prediction card and asked a series of seemingly innocent questions which would give the impression that I freely named the predicted card which I actually didn't. I wish I could remember the questions but it was so many decades ago that I find it difficult to do so. It was something like "just name a card". If I named the card he wanted then everything would have been hunky dory but I probably didn't. So he then somehow changed the subject and I think (but am not sure) I remember him asking "Does that card particularly appeal to you in some way?" I probably said "Not particularly" and he may have then said "OK, let's pick one that specially appeals to you. Is there a card here that appeals to you?" If I had said the force card had appealed to me all well and good. But if I didn't (and I don't think I did) he would question me further saying, "Do you know why that card appeals to you?" finding some excuse not to use it.

In other words he kept asking me questions until I gave the right answer. A bit like politicians doing several referendums until the get the result they want! That might even happen with Brexit!

Anyway I worked out more or less how he did it and admired the technique. The next day I started to do the trick at school and in fact I did the trick for several years but in the end it faded away as part of my repertoire and I haven't done it for decades. I wish I could remember the series of questions that were asked and the sequence they were in.

I remember he did other things which I have never seen him do since. He would toss a deck of cards behind his back and it went right around the other side where he would catch it with his other hand. He would also somehow arrange for the lights in the room to flicker and go out. He then went up to the wall and slammed it hard and back the light went on again.

He showed me his famous cigarette routine but it didn't have quite the same effect close up in a living room as it did on a stage with a bucket and excellent lighting as I saw him do later on a charity show at the Victoria Palace. He was appearing on stage with my cousin the late David Kossoff.

As is his custom after he did the cigarette trick in the living room he enquired if I had any explanation for it. He does this a lot rather than go on to the next trick. It was not a good policy on this occasion because being the young brat I was I said, "well, you palmed them" He was a little disconcerted by that but responded "How could I palm that many?" I told him exactly how and he rapidly changed the subject. I now realise what a fantastic routine it is and I have even done it myself for children using crayons instead of cigarettes. They love it!

It was a memorable evening.

performer

Postby performer » July 6th, 2016, 8:06 am

I have now looked at one of the DVDs. It has a complete explanation of the cigarette routine from the man himself. Up to now the only information I have had on this was from watching him and speculation on my own part coupled with tiny bits of information here and there from magicians of decades ago. And I think there was something in Tarbell about part of it too, possibly by Jack Chanin if I remember correctly.

I am very glad I have the complete explanation now with all the little touches that were missing up to now. So for me personally the price of the book is worth it even if I never read or view another thing in it.

Mr. Charming

Postby Mr. Charming » July 24th, 2016, 3:23 am

Dear Mark:

thanks for sharing the Berglas anecdotes

You are always so off topic but in an enjoyable way :D

performer

Postby performer » July 24th, 2016, 7:07 am

Good heavens! Are you THE Dani Da Ortiz? If so I have a big apology to make to you over a previous matter. I will not discuss it here but you will know what I am talking about. First, at the time I had no idea who you were. I just thought you were some Spanish magician that I had never heard of, and second at the time I did not understand computers (and I still don't) and added up two and two and made five. In other words, I came to the wrong conclusion. Sorry about that and I have heard rave reports about your work.

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”