Frame by Alexis De La Fuente

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Frame by Alexis De La Fuente

Postby Tom Frame » January 24th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Frame (DVD & gimmick) by Alexis De La Fuente $20.00
Running time: 22 minutes
Available at: http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/ ... gic/frame/

My entire life has been building toward this singular, magical moment. I was destined to review this product.

The following is but one effect that can be performed with Alexis De La Fuente’s Frame.

A participant selects a card, the Ace of Hearts, and the performer loses it in the deck. He turns the deck face up and displays the face and the back of the top, indifferent card. He removes the card, turns the deck face down and places the indifferent card face up on top. The participant signs the face of the card.

The performer neckties the deck and turns the indifferent card face down on top of it. Using a Sharpie, he draws an unseen image on the back of the card. He removes the card and reveals that he has drawn a frame with two diamonds in it, suggesting that the participant selected the Two of Diamonds. He holds the card by its long edge between his thumb, first and second fingers.

The participant informs him that the Two of Diamonds is not her card. With no cover, the performer shakes the card. It instantly, visibly transforms into a drawing of the Ace of Hearts. He displays the participant’s signature on the face of the card.

The performer places the face-up card on top of the face-down deck. He removes it and gives the card to the participant.

The amazing transformation looks like trick photography! Click on the link above and watch the promotional video. In it, you’ll see several of Mr. De La Fuente’s applications of the gimmick. His business card version ensures that your participant will keep your card. You can personalize the gimmick to create all manner of transformations.

Mr. De La Fuente has crafted a very clever gimmick. I’ve never seen anything like it. I love it.

The gimmick is well made and, if handled carefully, should last quite a while. If it breaks, you are provided with enough secret material to construct several more gimmicks. Additional secret material is readily available from a number of sources.

The production values of the DVD are meager. Mr. De La Fuente is mute during the instructional portion of the DVD, teaching the handling with actions rather than words. Captions appear several times to clarify the instructions. He does a good job of teaching the material, including how to repair a broken gimmick.

The gimmick cannot be handed to the participant immediately after the transformation. It must be placed on the deck first. I don’t consider that a weakness. The participant’s signed card never leaves her sight, and you’re not required to execute an unmotivated Double Turnover or some other potentially suspicious sleight before handing her the card.

Frame is magical eye candy of the highest order and Mr. De La Fuente’s method is delightfully diabolical. Buy it!

Highly Recommended

mrgoat

Re: Frame by Alexis De La Fuente

Postby mrgoat » January 24th, 2014, 2:56 pm

I loved the trailer, but was massively skeptical about it.

I really dig the business card application.

I was waiting until a reviewer I trusted reviewed it.

Now I shall buy it.

Thanks, good Sir!

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » January 25th, 2014, 3:39 am

Tom, do you need a gimmick for each version that you might choose to perform? You wrote that you are provided enough material to construct several gimmicks if it breaks but does that mean repair it or can you actually make several different gimmicks to do different effects?

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » January 25th, 2014, 8:55 am

Frank,

Each effect requires its own gimmick. The gimmick you receive is "blank", allowing you to create whatever effect you desire.

If you want to create the effect of pulling a drawing of a dollar bill off of the card, producing a real bill, you'll need to create a separate gimmick. It takes about five minutes to create a gimmick.

The gimmick is made of common magic items that you may already own. If not, you'll have to buy them. They are readily available.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » January 25th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Thanks for the additional info, Tom! Looks like I might have to get this.

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”