Water: The Elements of Mentalism – Nefesch

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 17th, 2013, 10:38 pm

As I work on my November review of Magic DVDs and downloads, I decided that this particular title did not deserve a single column inch in Genii. It barely rates space on the Internet.

“Water” by Nefesch is—apparently—the first of four volumes that will focus on mentalism effects surrounding the “elements.” There are five effects—only four of which involve water—on the DVD. The descriptions below are taken directly from the ad copy:

Water Mark:
You predict the amount of water spectator would pour in a glass.

Water Spell:
You predict the word your spectator thought of on the wall of a glass.

Hydrobirthday:
You influence the mind of your spectator, he creates musical notes putting water on
[sic … I’m pretty sure they mean “in”)] glasses. The music plays the song your spectator is thinking of.

Russian Roulette:
A very deceptive and very safe Russian Roulette.

The Fifth Element: Slap or Kiss
A very entertaining routine where the performer predicts if he would be slapped or kissed by the spectator!

The video is poorly shot (at one point, during a crucial part of the explanation, I couldn’t see what he was doing or even talking about). The routines are poorly thought out and to prove it, I will allow the attractive young lady who helps him throughout explain exactly what she was feeling during his “performance” of the Russian Roulette routine:

“I’m getting BORED!” [Emphasis hers.]

Keep in mind that your average Russian Roulette routine is supposed to be dramatic and filled with suspense. I will admit that I had to stop watching the performance of “Slap or Kiss” because I became bored after several minutes of mind-numbing procedure (just for starters this poor girl was forced to count two packets of 26 cards each and you can tell that she is not at all happy about it; I felt her pain).

Her comment noted above is my favorite moment on the DVD. It describes everything you need to know and it is supplied for us on the DVD by his onscreen assistant!

The distributor has the price for this near three hour project listed at just $10. Even if this is a typo, it is overpriced.

Thanks for your time. I’m sorry you had to waste it in this dreck.
Dustin

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”