Split by Jeff Prace

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Split by Jeff Prace

Postby Tom Frame » August 19th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Split (Download) by Jeff Prace $6.95
Running time: 27 minutes
Available at: http://thebluecrown.com/split.html/

Creative whippersnapper Jeff Prace is back with another download featuring two musical effects that utilize your wretched cell phone.

The production values of the download are very good.

Both effects require you to download a music application. You then use the application to create, uh, special songs.

Mr. Prace does a fine job of teaching the step-by-step procedures for producing the requisite songs. I commend his clever use of this technology for magical purposes.

Short Circuit: The performer displays his potentially broken headphones and plugs them into his phone. A participant inserts the headphones into his ears and the performer plays a song. The participant says that she can only hear the song from the right ear bud.

The participant removes the headphones and hands them to the performer, who takes one ear bud in each hand. He shakes the right ear bud toward the left ear bud. The participant puts the ear buds back in her ears. Now she can only hear the song from the left ear bud.

The performer extends his hand in front of the participant’s head and makes a pushing gesture from left to right. The participant hears the song move from the left ear bud to the right ear bud.

The performer claps his hands and the participant can now hear the song from both ear buds.

The preparation for this effect takes about five minutes.

I like it.

Dual Musicality: Participant #1 takes the performer’s phone and sticks one ear bud in her ear. Participant #2 sticks the other ear bud in her ear. Participant #1 freely selects any song from the performer’s list and plays it. When participant #2 indicates that she recognizes the song, participant #1 stops the music.

The performer retrieves his phone and headphones and puts them away. He displays a folded piece of paper and says that he wrote the name of a song on it.

Participant #2 says that she heard the song “Welcome to the Machine.” Participant #1 denies playing that song and insists that she played “Careful With That Axe Eugene.” The performer unfolds the paper and reveals that he predicted “Welcome to the Machine.”

The more songs you have on your play list, the longer the preparation will take. Fortunately, the preparation only needs to be done once.

I like it.

Despite hating cell phones, ear buds and compressed, soulless music files, I cannot deny this product’s probable appeal. If you savor sonic sorcery, Split will surely stimulate a smile.

Recommended

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”