Plots & Ploys by Peter Duffie

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Plots & Ploys by Peter Duffie

Postby Tom Frame » August 25th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Plots & Ploys (ebook) by Peter Duffie $16.50
72 pages, 115 photos, 14 illustrations, 1 template
Available at: http://www.peterduffie.com

Peter Duffie is one clever, prolific fellow. It seems like only three months ago that I nearly expired from mental exhaustion in writing my mammoth review of The Celtic Cabal. Consequently, I experienced an acute episode of post traumatic distress when I discovered that he sent me his latest ebook for review. Thankfully, the quantity of material in this tome was more manageable. Studying and practicing these items was just the therapeutic salve that I needed.

Mr. Duffie writes well and does a fine job of teaching the material. He dutifully credits his inspirational sources. The ebook is nicely designed and navigation is an intuitive breeze. The photos and illustrations are clear and helpful.

Return to Ipcress: A participant selects a card which is tabled face-down. The performer claims that he will cut to a card of the same suit as the selection, followed by a card of the same value. He does so, but the participant informs him that he missed both the suit and the value. The performer turns the selected card, say the Jack of Spades, face-up. The two wrong cards transform into Jacks and the final Jack appears as well.

The sudden appearance of the three Jacks in a tiered formation looks cool and should shock the participant. I like it.

Fragmented Thoughts: The performer tables a sealed envelope which contains his prediction. He tables and mixes four face-down pieces of playing cards: one full-size card, one three-quarter card, one half card and one quarter card. The participant chooses one of the four pieces, say the three-quarter card. The participant opens the envelope and discovers the missing quarter piece. Everything can be examined.

The effect described above happens 50% of the time. The alternate ending is that the participant chooses the quarter card. When this happens, you show that you predicted that outcome by revealing a matching quarter card in the envelope.

This is a novel effect that requires no sleights, merely an age old force. I like it.

CharcolB: The performer displays the top card of the deck and inserts into the middle of the deck, leaving it out-jogged. He pushes it flush. He can either reveal that the card has risen to the top of the deck or he can remove it from his pocket.

Mr. Duffie combines ideas by Stanley Collins and Al Baker with a Charlier Cut to produce this effective handling. I like it.

Delivery Date: Participant #1 is given an envelope containing the performers prediction. Participant #2 is given a diary that has a different word written next to each of the 365 days. The performer displays a packet of eight cards that have different numbers printed on both sides. Participant #2 eliminates all but two of the cards. Using the numbers on these cards, she forms a date. She looks up the date in the diary.

The performer asks participant #1 to reveal the prediction. She opens the envelope and discovers that it is empty. Participant #2 names the object written in the diary, say Envelope. The performer raises participant #1s hand that is holding the envelope, proving his prediction to be correct.

Youll have to make the number cards or have them printed. You must also prepare the diary, which will take about an hour. It cant be examined.

The participants discovery that the envelope itself is the prediction is a nifty zinger. I like it.

Folder: Mr. Duffie teaches a method of folding a card under fire during an Overhand Shuffle.

Mr. Duffies method is clever and burn-proof. Ive never seen a handling quite like it. This could give the Mercury Fold a run for its money. I like it.

Jaks Blaks: The performer displays and tables four cards that are black on both sides. Participant #1 selects two of the cards and participant #2 gets the remaining two cards. Both pairs of cards are placed squared in front of the participants. Each participant selects a card, but doesnt look at it.

The performer examines one pair of black cards and announces that participant #1s card is the Ace of Spades. Participant #1 looks at her card and it is the Ace of Spades. The performer slides back the top card of the other black pair and reveals that four diamond pips have magically appeared on it. Participant #2 looks at her card and it is the Four of Diamonds.

Youll have to make the black cards or have them printed.

This is the authors version of a Roy Walton version of an effect marketed by Dr. Stanley Jaks. By involving two participants, Mr. Duffie has eliminated an unmotivated segment of Mr. Waltons handling. I like it.

Lie Witness 2: The performer removes the Kings from the deck and separates them into red and black pairs. A participant freely chooses a card from the deck and tables it face-down. The performer places the black Kings face-up on top of the deck and cuts them into the deck. He places the selection on the bottom of the deck. The performer spreads the deck to reveal that the selection is now sandwiched between the black Kings in the center of the deck.

He closes the spread and places the red Kings on top of the deck. He spreads the Kings and reveals the selection sandwiched between them. The performer places the sandwich between the participants hands. The selection vanishes from the sandwich. The performer removes it from his pocket.

This is a strong, well designed effect that features several magical moments. It requires an intermediate level of sleight of hand. I really like it.

Witness in Your Pocket: Two participants select a card. The performer places selection #1 reversed between the black Jacks and cuts the sandwich into the deck. He places selection #2 on the bottom of the deck. The performer riffles the deck and shows that selection #2 is no longer on the bottom. The performer spreads the deck, removes the Jack sandwich and places it on participant #2s hand. Participant #2 turns over the face-down card between the Jacks and discovers his card. The performer removes selection #1 from his pocket.

This is a similar, shorter version of the previous effect. It also requires an intermediate level of technical proficiency. I like it.

Book Test 1: The performer riffles the pages of a book in the face of participant #1 and asks her to say stop. He opens the book at the designated stopping point and asks her to remember the top word at the outer corner of the page. The performer closes the book and repeats the procedure with participant #2. Without asking any questions, the performer correctly divines both words.

Mr. Duffies method is clever and effective. I like it.

Book Test 2: The performer riffles the pages of a book in the face of participant #1 and asks her to say stop. He opens the book at the designated stopping point and asks her to remember the top word at the outer corner of the page. He repeats the procedure with participant #2.

The performer removes two business cards from his pocket and writes his impressions of their selections on them. He riffles the book and inserts his business cards face-down and out-jogged among the pages. The participants name their cards, remove the business cards from the book and see that the performer correctly divined both words.

The authors method is very sneaky and features a swindle that will bring a smile to your loins. I really like it.

Dinner for Two: The performer places four missionaries (Aces) between two cannibals (Kings). The cannibals eat the missionaries one at a time. The performer drops the cannibals onto the deck and turns them over. Instantly, the four missionaries reappear between the cannibals.

Mr. Duffies handling was inspired by Roy Waltons Cannibal Cards. You must execute several difficult sleights. I shamelessly admit that I cant convincingly execute these sleights, so this method isnt for me.

The other problem I have with this method is that as the missionaries are being eaten, you must repeatedly place the missionary/cannibal sandwich onto the deck. This is a method-driven requirement, with no presentational justification. I dont like it

Three Way Out: Mr. Duffie describes how to create two cards to be used as a prediction/out. The cards can appear as any one of three different playing cards.

Youll have to make the two cards or have them printed.

To a lay person, I imagine that it must seem odd for the performer to have to use two special cards to represent one card. Why not just use a single duplicate of the card? I dont like it

Three Way Trick: Mr. Duffie applies his Three Way Out to an old prediction effect.

Ive never cared much for this effect because it strikes me as being transparent. Employing Mr. Duffies special cards makes it even less appealing. I dont like it.

Pivotal Aces: The performer places two Jacks face-up on top of the deck. He turns them face-down and spreads the top three cards, revealing that they have sandwiched an Ace. He places the Jacks back onto the deck and they sandwich another Ace. Finally, the Jacks visually transform into the remaining Aces.

This is a cool effect with a well constructed method. I like it.

Zodiak Killer: The performer gives a participant #1 an envelope containing his prediction. He gives participant #2 a folded card that displays all of the cards of a deck, with an astrological sign beside each card. Participant #2 takes a deck and deals cards onto the table until she decides to stop on say, the Seven of Clubs. She opens the folded card and remembers which astrological sign corresponds to her card, say Aries. Participant #1 opens the prediction which says Aries. Participant #2 takes the deck, spells Aries and discovers her card.

Mr. Duffie provides a template with which you can print the special card.

The authors method for achieving this effect is good. However, I despise effects that involve astrology.

A But No E: The author describes how to create an accident that allows you to sight a key card.

This is a cool, sneaky procedure. While the method is easy, your greatest challenge will be executing the accident without making it look intentional. I like it.

Flat Pack: A participant selects a card and signs its face. The performer shuffles her card back into the deck and tables it. The performer introduces a wand consisting of a black playing card with white ends. He rolls the card into a tube so that it looks like a wand. He hands the wand to the participant and explains that if she waves it over the deck, her card will appear on top. She waves the wand and turns over the top card, but its not hers. She unrolls the wand and discovers that its inner side is her signed card.

Woo-hoo! This is my favorite effect of the book! The method is sweet and the O. Henry ending knocks the participant for a loop. I really like it.

Easy Flat-Pack (Cameron Francis): Mr. Francis describes an alternate method for performing the previous effect. His version may be technically easier, but Im opposed to Tony Kardyro move that he employs. The move is contrived in that it requires the performer to do something with his deck-holding hand that real people would use their free hand to accomplish. I dont like it.

I Know Three Things for Sure (Harvey Rosenthal): A participant freely selects a card which is lost in the deck. The performer displays that her card is neither on top nor on the bottom of the deck. He announces the name of her card and spreads the deck. Her card is the only face-up card in the deck.

He also offers an alternate handling of the opening phase.

Mr. Rosenthals methods strike me as being technically overwrought. There are numerous other methods for creating the same effect that dont require so much heavy lifting. Move monkeys will probably enjoy his handlings, but I dont.

Peters Steinway (Harvey Rosenthal): The performer assembles a packet of cards that consists of matching pairs of cards: Fives, Threes, Aces, Deuces, Fours, Sixes and Sevens. He removes the Sevens and drops them on top of the tabled deck, leaving him with an even number of cards. He deals the packet into two piles to separate the remaining pairs.

He turns over the top two cards from one pile, revealing that the two Aces have come together on top. He turns over the top two cards of the other pile, revealing two Deuces. He continues turning over pairs of cards alternately from each pile. In the end, all the pairs have magically reunited and also arranged themselves in numerical order. However, there is one odd card left in each pile. He turns these cards face-up, revealing them to be the Sevens that he discarded earlier.

He also offers an alternate handling of the opening phase.

These are Mr. Rosenthals technically demanding variations of Mr. Duffies, Duffie on Keyboards. I cant convincingly execute the required sleight, so this method doesnt appeal to me. But move maestros will probably dig it.

Recommended

pduffie

Re: Plots & Ploys by Peter Duffie

Postby pduffie » August 25th, 2010, 5:11 pm

Hi Tom;

Thank you for the very thorough and honest review. One thing I have to say (confess):

In Easy Flat-Pack (Cameron Francis), I am guilty of adding the Kardyro move! Cameron used the top of the deck. Maybe I should leave things alone - if it ain't broken, don't try to fix it? :-)

Thanks again &

Best Wishes

Peter

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » August 25th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Great job with the review, Tom!

Your reviews always impress me. And I must add that they are a great way to find hidden gems which I might otherwise pass over. Indeed I feel guilty having someone else do the 'spade work'...

I also really appreciate the way you address each and every trick in the book under review. It is a feature I have never really seen before and it makes for a very detailed review.

Excellent writing. Brilliant work.

Thanks!

Joe

PS I am amazed you can get 'back on the saddle' so soon after your massive The Celtic Cabal review. The length of that review astounded me. Just reading it was a challenge. I can't imagine the work that went into it...

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 25th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Peter,

You're quite welcome. Well done, sir.

Joe,

Thank you so much for your kind words. You made my day!

But in the interest of preserving my always fragile mental health, I must insist that you (and everyone else) please, please refrain from ever mentioning T.C.C. again. Oh God, I'm starting to shake and drool again just thinking about it.......

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 25th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Where was this legendary The Celtic Cabal review published? I don't see it here.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » August 25th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Where was this legendary The Celtic Cabal review published? I don't see it here.
http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... by_Peter_D
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 25th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Ah, there it is. The default in the thread only shows stuff going back a few months.

Damn, Tom, that was a helluva long review!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » August 25th, 2010, 9:44 pm

No [censored]!! Truth be told, the protracted, grueling ordeal of writing that review caused me to seriously consider quitting this review gig. It was a close call.

At one point, I half-jokingly told my wife that I had no memories of my life prior to writing the infernal beast. She looked terrified and started compulsively twirling her hair.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » August 26th, 2010, 10:53 am

I wanted to say a thank you on the earlier thread for your massive The Celtic Cabal review. But as it was - I decided to read your review after I had read the book. And I didn't get around to reading the book until a couple of months later. By which time the moment seemed to have passed...

Anyway - I mention this since I agree with what DavidL said at the end of that thread. I too think that David Lees' effect is a good one. It is an interesting (and important) advance on the original Bob Hummer classic. It is also a nice magician fooler for those familiar with the original. It may not be incredibly commerical magic or anything. But for those who enjoy the Stewart James/Bob Hummer approach to tricks - then I think this is a useful contribution...

Sorry for the sidetrack!

Thanks once again for your thoughtful writings...

Joe

Harvey Rosenthal

Postby Harvey Rosenthal » August 29th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Hi Tom,

Peter's Cannibal Card routine, Dinner for Two is brilliant. If it is beyond your skill level that isn't a weakness of the routine. Spend more time practicing. I have performed the routine at least a dozen times for lay audiences and received wonderful reactions to the trick.

I have never seen you perform so when you called the handlings of my two contributions to Peter's excellent book technically demanding, I suspect you favor self-working tricks. For anyone with even mild chops the handlings I devised should be child's play.

However, thanks for your opinion.

Harvey Rosenthal

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”