SCAMP by Raphael Czaja

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

SCAMP by Raphael Czaja

Postby Tom Frame » July 2nd, 2010, 1:38 pm

SCAMP (PDF) by Raphael Czaja $8.00
5 pages
Available by Paypal at: r.czaja@libertysurf.fr

In a fudgey kind of way, SCAMP is an acronym for Spectators Card at Magicians Predicted number.

The performer removes two Jokers from a red deck, writes predictions on their backs and tables them face-up. He cases the deck and participant #1 places it in her pocket. He introduces a blue deck and spreads it face-up on the table. Participant #2 freely selects a card, say the Jack of Hearts.

The performer turns over one of the Jokers and on its back is written, Hold the red deck face-down. He turns over the other Joker and it reads, Your card is 29th from the top. Participant #1 removes the red deck, counts the cards into a face-up pile and discovers the Jack of Hearts at the 29th position.

Mr. Czaja states that SCAMP was inspired by Dave Forrest's Forecast and Cameron Francis's Annihilation. Im not familiar with these effects, so I cant offer a comparative analysis.

The author does an adequate job of teaching the preparation and handling.

The layout of the PDF is rather unsightly, due to a lack of spacing between numerous paragraphs. While this problem gives the PDF a crowded, sloppy appearance, it wont hinder your ability to understand the instructions.

It will take you about 30 minutes to prepare the blue deck. It can only be used to perform this effect and it cant be examined. The red deck is normal.

This effect is terrific and its method is as mischievous as its moniker portends. I applaud Mr. Czajas creativity. There is only one move involved. Its easy to execute and if done casually, it wont arouse any suspicion. I really like it!

Mr. Czaja includes these additional handlings:

Blue-Backed Deck Extra Convincer Version: This handling allows you to create greater conviction regarding one aspect of the effect, which I cant discuss. I like it.

No Sharpie Version: In this minor variation, the performers predictions are already written on the back of the Jokers. While this version saves you about 20 seconds writing time, I prefer the original version because it appears to be spontaneous

One Deck Version: To save some pocket space, this version uses half of a red deck and half of a blue contained in one card case. This version will appeal to folks with pocket space limitations. However, Im not one of them, so this version doesnt interest me.

The Ultimate Brainwave Deck Version: This is a completely different effect, which you can view at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxwsx3Q3JnU.

Mr. Czaja states, I can't describe how it works here but with a little bit of imagination, once you've bought it, you may be able to adapt this special deck specifically for this trick.

I dont own that special deck, so I cant comment on how well it can be adapted to Mr. Czajas effect, or if it should even be used for that purpose.

The Golden Discrepancy Ending (David Regal): Mr. Regal was uncomfortable with the fact that the selection is face-down at the conclusion of the effect. He felt that it should be face-up to visually remind the audience of its identity. So he contributed this handling which effectively achieves that goal. I like it.

Swiftly scurry away and snag SCAMP!

Highly Recommended

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”