Outcast by Martin Vetter

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Outcast by Martin Vetter

Postby Tom Frame » November 19th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Outcast (Download) by Martin Vetter $13.95
Running time: 29 minutes
Available at: http://store.payloadz.com/go?id=753163

Martin Vetter is a personal young man from Denmark. Click on the link above to watch his performance video, and to read glowing endorsements of this effect from people Ive never heard of.

As you can see, this is a home-made video. The camera work and production values are, at best, adequate.

Mr. Vetter begins the instructional segment by introducing us to his magic buddy, Morton. Morton never utters a word. Apparently, his sole function is to prevent the neighbors from worrying that Mr. Vetter is talking to himself.

Despite working without a script, Mr. Vetter does a very thorough job of teaching the methodology. He discusses his use of misdirection and offers additional performance tips. I commend his attention to detail.

He also discusses the history and development of the effect. Like Archimedes, he was in the bathtub when he had an epiphany in which the method was revealed to him.

The primary method occurs while the participant is examining the card case. Mr. Vetter has designed an action step that he believes looks natural. Unfortunately, it doesnt look natural. In real life, I doubt that anyone carrying out the action would do it the way that Mr. Vetter does it.

If you perform this effect for only one person, the participant will miss this action step because theyre busy examining the card case. But if others are watching your performance, they will notice it and they will conclude that it looks contrived.

You cannot perform the effect with people standing at your sides or behind you. Mr. Vetter discusses some audience management and blocking strategies to minimize this angle issue, but they do not eradicate the problem. It remains a limiting factor.

I believe that Mr. Vetters asking price for this product is unreasonable. When you consider that one of the greatest effects ever created, Card Warp, is still available for a mere $5.00, this minor effect from Mr. Vetter is not worth $14.00.

Not Recommended

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Outcast by Martin Vetter

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 19th, 2009, 5:09 pm

What the heck is the effect?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » November 19th, 2009, 5:24 pm

Does the performance video no longer work? If not, let me know and I'll describe the effect.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 19th, 2009, 5:39 pm

I can't be bothered to watch the video. If you're going to review the item, then please describe the effect.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » November 19th, 2009, 5:49 pm

Wow, you are a busy man!

A card is freely selected, signed and lost in the deck. The participant places the deck into the card case and hands it to the performer. The performer fairly displays his empty hands. He places one hand behind his back, while holding the opened case with his other hand. He throws the case into the air, causing the selected card to flutter to the ground, away from the case and the other cards.

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”