On Edge by Michael Paul

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

On Edge by Michael Paul

Postby Tom Frame » November 3rd, 2009, 8:46 pm

On Edge (Download) by Michael Paul $6.95
Running time: 8 minutes
Available at: http://www.thementalplayground.com/onedge.html

In this video, Mr. Paul offers his handling of the venerable card stab. To view his performance of this effect, click on the link, then click on the video.

As you see, the production values are good. Mr. Paul does an adequate job of teaching the methodology. I like the effect and the methods employed.

While Mr. Paul doesnt have the card signed in the performance video, in the instructional segment he suggests doing so. I agree with him, as this strategy nullifies the possible use of duplicates.

He credits Marlo with the very well known technique that he employs in the early stages of the handling. While Marlo certainly popularized this technique with his publication of an eponymous booklet in 1962, it is usually attributed to Vernon.

Mr. Paul does not provide credit for the clever method of stabbing the correct card. This omission implicitly suggests that he developed the method, yet he doesnt claim it as his own. I dont recall seeing this method used before, but then again, I dont claim to know the method behind every card stabbing effect that has been created.

To further muddy the waters, on two occasions, he refers to the overall handling as the traditional card stab. This statement suggests that at least some element of the methodology has been around for ages. But he doesnt specify if he is referring to the method for stabbing the correct card. He loses points for this crediting conundrum.

Im a bit troubled by one aspect of this effect. The orientation of the impaled card is incongruent with how the card should be impaled, given that the performer thrusts the blade into the long edge of the deck. If the audience notices this incongruity, they may be able to reconstruct the method.

Ive field tested this effect several times and the participants didnt comment on this discrepancy. Maybe they didnt notice. Maybe they were being nice. Maybe Im thinking too much like a magician. Maybe they did notice and were afraid to say anything because I was brandishing a big, scary knife!

Despite these concerns, I liked On Edge. If you take a stab at it, I think youll be pleased.

Recommended

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Re: On Edge by Michael Paul

Postby Tom Frame » November 3rd, 2009, 10:41 pm

Okay, I'm an idiot. In the process of learning and practicing Mr. Paul's effect prior to performing it, I someone managed to unconsciously alter his handling. I don't what possessed me to do that. I'm turning 50 in two months. Maybe that has somerthing to do with it.

My altered handling caused the impailed card to look discrepant. Mr. Paul's handling does not cause this problem. I screwed up and I feel terrible about it. I've lost the will to live. Again.

I'd be pleased as punch if Richard could magically delete the final two paragraphs of my review.

I apologize to Mr. Paul and to all of you for my error. I've scheduled an appointment with a neurologist.

Curtis Kam

Re: On Edge by Michael Paul

Postby Curtis Kam » November 20th, 2009, 5:17 am

Tom, I thought this was familiar. See Russ Walsh's "Flash Card Stab" from Tarbell 3.

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”