Jon Armstrong L&L DVD set

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Francesca Moffet

Jon Armstrong L&L DVD set

Postby Francesca Moffet » March 18th, 2009, 9:38 am

L&L Publishing have released a new set of DVDs by Jon Armstrong.

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php? ... ts_id=2596

There are some great routines on the DVD. I've seen him perform Dyslexia and The Biddle Trick before and thought they were done brilliantly.

I'll post a review once I've watched the DVDs.
Last edited by Francesca Moffet on April 3rd, 2009, 11:10 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: There's no box: it can't be a "Box Set"
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, and they both take practice.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Jon Armstrong L&L DVD Boxset

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 18th, 2009, 9:47 am

Please place your review in the Light from the Lamp Online section. Thanks.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » March 18th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Jon Armstrong's 3 BRAND NEW DVD set from L&L Publishing has arrived at the Magic Apple. We are the FIRST place to get this incredible set!

Jon will be at The Magic Apple THIS SATURDAY from 1 to 3 signing his new discs! He will perform some of the material from the DVDs and answer any questions you may have!! The discs will be discounted too!! Each disc is $34.95 or the entire set for $100 - you'll get 10% off each disc or $93 for the ENTIRE set! And NO sales tax from 1:00pm-3:00pm

Come on by and be one of the first to see his newly published material. AND you'll get some double blank playing cards for his famous Blank Monte. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_BWwVBJHGY

We'll have some snacks and refreshments! This Saturday March 21st DON'T MISS IT!!
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

jason156
Favorite Magician: Bro. John Hamman, Simon Aronson, David Regal

Postby jason156 » March 19th, 2009, 12:05 am

This is very cool, but because of the current economy I cannot afford to purchase this....sorry.

Francesca Moffet

Re: Jon Armstrong L&L DVD Set

Postby Francesca Moffet » April 3rd, 2009, 9:40 am

I'll post a review on these probably tomorrow in the Light from the Lamp Online section. I've watched them twice so that I'd be able to give a better opinion on them.
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, and they both take practice.

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » April 6th, 2009, 10:33 am

Volume 1: This was the first time I'd watched an L&L DVD but I found it highly enjoyable, the content is well laid out and I enjoyed the frixion pen sections the most. The explanations are concise and well-paced and credits are given where they are needed. Throughout, Armstrong offers good explanations but assumes that you have mastered card technique basics.

Volume 2: There were some great routines on this disc and it was my favourite out of the set. I particularly enjoyed seeing how much the material has evolved since I first saw some of it which was around 3 years ago. The stand out routine for me is still Dyslexia although I also really enjoyed Hoff's Glasses.

Volume 3: This DVD contained routines that I was relatively unfamiliar apart from the Three Blank Monte one which I had seen a few time previously although it has been expanded uopn as well. Again a very well-paced DVD where everything is explained well and the routines are entertaining to both the viewer and the audience present.

In conclusion: Jon Armstrong has an engaging stage presence and the solid effects he presents here offer lots of opportunities to interact with spectators and improve upon performance techniques. If youre an experienced card worker then I highly recommend this DVD. This DVD set offers a good mix of effects that vary in difficulty and among them, youre bound to find at least a few that you can add to your working repertoire.

I have never written a magic DVD review before but I hope this is helpful to anyone who is considering purchasing the DVDS, they are well worth the investment.

Roberto

Postby Roberto » April 6th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Francesca,
Thanks for the review. Is most of the material done without gaffs or lengthy set-ups? And how much of the material requires a working space? Thanks again!

Roberto

Doc Eason

Postby Doc Eason » April 6th, 2009, 3:25 pm

After telling myself I wouldn't look at another card trick vid...I found my self totally engaged with this set.. an am even thinking of adding a few things.. (just what *I* need is another friggin card trick.. ) I like this set.

Doc
Doc Eason
www.doceason.com
www.doceasonmagicshop.com

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 6th, 2009, 4:58 pm

Now you know how the rest of us feel, Doc. It's because of you that I keep my nuts in a handy pocket.

Dustin

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 6th, 2009, 5:11 pm

The big Shiney ones....?

GO

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » April 6th, 2009, 6:02 pm

Roberto wrote:Francesca,
Thanks for the review. Is most of the material done without gaffs or lengthy set-ups? And how much of the material requires a working space? Thanks again!

Roberto

Hi Roberto

There are no really lengthy set ups but the frixion pen sequence needs to be prepared in advance as you have to write and draw on a card before the performance.

Working space? There doesn't seem to be much needed but you will need a fridge handy if you perform Ice Scream, You Scream.

Lou Serrano

Postby Lou Serrano » April 7th, 2009, 5:45 pm

Francesca,

For your very first review, I think you did an excellent job.

I've seen many of these routines performed live, and Jon is an excellent performer
and teacher. I will be getting my set soon.

Lou

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 20th, 2009, 8:49 pm

I'm interested in Armstrong's handling of his in-the-hands Triumph in the third volume. Any word on this?

Nice review Francesca.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » April 20th, 2009, 11:22 pm

Leonard,

It's excellent. Buy the DVDs.

KG

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » April 21st, 2009, 1:54 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:I'm interested in Armstrong's handling of his in-the-hands Triumph in the third volume. Any word on this?

Nice review Francesca.

Thanks.

There is a lot of information on the DVD's but I don't want to give too much away as I'm very away of a term called 'exposure' that you magicians mention a lot so as Kent has suggested they are worth buying. ;)

I really like the look of the Tangled Web book that's mentioned, I'll have to get a copy.
Last edited by Francesca Moffet on April 21st, 2009, 1:56 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Just my normal numptiness.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 21st, 2009, 7:52 pm

Thanks Kent. Yet another must have item that's flowing down the river. I still haven't bought the Zarrow book. I know Armstrong is killer, but I was curious.

Yes, Francesca, Tangle Web is a very nice text. Eric Mead provides great magic and much food for thought here

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » April 21st, 2009, 10:14 pm

Leonard,

Jon is one of the few magicians on this earth I've known for a long time. He was the kid at the magic meetings in Orlando when I was stationed there as a squid. Jon just keeps getting better. That Disney gig probably didn't hurt his upbringing.

I saw his lecture recently and he just fools the crap out of me.

He probably would NOT admit to knowing me, but he does!

KG

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”