The Rauschenberg Effect by John Hostler

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

The Rauschenberg Effect by John Hostler

Postby Tom Frame » January 21st, 2009, 3:46 pm

The Rauschenberg Effect (PDF) by John Hostler
103 pages, 133 photos
Available at: http://www.hostlergallery.com/rauschenberg.htm

Lets get the potentially controversial aspect of this book out of the way, right off the bat. You cannot buy this PDF. There are only two ways to obtain it. You can beg, plead or cajole one of your magic buddies to send it to you. Or, you can go to Mr. Hostlers site and ponder the two riddles he poses. You then e-mail your answers and your real name to Mr. Hostler, who will decide if you are worthy of receiving the PDF.

Here is an excerpt from the authors Special Note to Reader:

You are now in possession of the magic worlds first honor system e-publication, no doubt passed along by a fellow magician or otherwise unusual individual. The author has chosen this distribution strategy for a number of reasons, including but by no means limited to severe aversions to both editorial interference and hard work.

The author encourages you to share this document only with seasoned, trustworthy performers; expand intelligently on the material in other publications and forums; and post competent video performances online.

Some may bristle at Mr. Hostlers plan for disseminating his work, believing that it reflects an elitist attitude. I think its a great idea.

I became obsessed with card magic in the mid 70s. Back in those heady, pre-Internet days, you had to bust your ass to gain access to the real work. You had to devote considerable time and effort to gain the trust of the members of the inner circle, in hopes of receiving a tattered, Xeroxed copy of the latest nugget of gold, mined from the underground. Secrets were valuable.

Obviously, those days are long gone. There is now too much information and misinformation, and it is too readily available to anyone with a fleeting interest in magic, and access to the Internet. It seems that secrets have lost much of their value. And thats a shame.

Mr. Hostlers distribution plan addresses this sorry state of affairs. I commend his philosophical stance. You must work in order to gain access to the work.

The author is clearly an intelligent man and he does a fine job of teaching the material. He possesses an impish sense of humor, which he doles out judiciously. He is also an artist, and several intriguing pieces of his artwork appear in the book.

The contents of the book consist of effects that Mr. Hostler has developed over the past 20 years. His guiding philosophy in the development of his effects is impact at any cost. This means that he is willing to employ whatever methods necessary to create powerful magic. Most of the material requires an intermediate level of technical prowess.

Five Card Mental Leap: A participant mentally selects one card from a group of five, which are then tabled face-down. Without asking any questions, the performer spreads through the deck and removes a single card, which he predicts will be the mate of the selection. The participant names her card for the first time. The performer spreads the tabled packet and discovers that the selection is missing, because his prediction is the selection. Its mate is immediately found in the performers pocket.

This effect is Mr. Hostlers marriage of Vernons Five Card Mental Force and The Princess. No gimmicks, duplicates, palming or forces are involved. Mr. Hostlers clever handling neatly addresses any contingencies that may arise. The effect is very strong and the participant will never anticipate the climax. I really like it.

Drama Kings: The performer removes two cards from the deck and places them into the card case. The performer and his participant each take half of the deck behind their back, reverse a random card somewhere in the middle, and table their packets face-up. The performer and participant spread their halves and the face-down selections are slid to center table. The participant removes the cards from the case and discovers the red Kings. The performers and participants cards are turned over to reveal the black Kings.

His novel presentation illustrates four elements of drama character, plot, idea and spectacle. This effect requires a heavily gimmicked deck, but thanks to Mr. Hostlers well motivated handling, you end clean. He has crafted this effect to turn either of two potential contingencies into a bonus kicker. I like it.

Split Decision: The performer hands a participant a sealed envelope containing a prediction. A deck of cards is shuffled and spread face-down on the table. In a seemingly fair manner, the participant selects a card from the spread. She turns the card face-up and opens the envelope. The prediction matches.

Obviously, you must force the predicted card on your participant. Im not thrilled with Mr. Hostlers method of forcing the card. It seems like too much work, and its rather primitive. Though you begin with a regular deck of cards, you end dirty. There are numerous effective forces that dont result in this undesirable condition. Mr. Hostler offers no suggestions regarding cleaning up. I dont like it.

The Speakeasy Poker Deal: The participant shuffles the deck, names any suit and selects a card from a Poker hand. This unknown card is placed in the performers wallet. The performer shuffles the deck and deals two five-card hands. He wins with a royal flush in the freely named suit.

A second round of cards is dealt, this time played by speakeasy rules. Bets are placed on the value of one card blindly pulled from each hand, and the performer wins only in the event of a draw. Despite the participants free choice of any card in her five, its value matches the performers card. A draw. Finally, the unknown card in the wallet proves to be a mate of these selections.

Mr. Holster offers two handlings for this effect. The first one is too procedure laden for my tastes. I prefer the second handling that employs the Clarion Cull. In both handlings, you start clean and end dirty, and you must use a switching wallet.

Because I am a rabid fan of Texas Hold Em, the speakeasy rules premise feels contrived and rather hokey. Call me petty if you will, but thats my jaded opinion and Im sticking to it. I dont like it.

Point of Entry: Two red Kings are tabled face-up. They will serve as a teleporter. A participant selects and signs the back of another card. She cuts the remainder of the deck, the cut card being outjogged to serve as a landing platform. The selection is placed between the Kings and the performer attempts to teleport it onto the landing platform. The selection vanishes from between the Kings, but it does not arrive on the landing pad. Rather, it becomes the landing pad.

Two special cards, that you probably already own, are required. Mr. Hostler describes how to ring them out of the deck, so that you finish clean. His presentation and handling are nice. I like it.

Noeyeon Protocol: The performer removes an unknown card from the deck and places it in his pocket. He hands the deck to his participant and looks away as she deals down to any card, and pockets it sight unseen. The performers card proves to be a mate of the participants card.

Mr. Hostler offers both ungimmicked and gimmicked versions of this effect. I prefer the ungimmicked version because, well, its ungimmicked. The gimmicked version is gimmicked to the degree that it would be challenging to use the deck for any other effects.

While I like this effect, Ill never perform it because I have my own effect, Blind-Sided (2001) that doesnt require such heavy lifting.

$13 Card to Wallet: Phase I. The performer removes two Jokers from his wallet and tables them. A participant selects and signs a card and shuffles it back into the deck. The Jokers are inserted face-up into the deck, which is immediately spread to reveal the selection sandwiched between.

The participant again loses her card in the deck as the performer offers to repeat the effect behind his back. The deck is brought forth and the entire deck is sandwiched between the Jokers. Groan. With an empty hand, the performer retrieves his wallet. The participant finds her signed card in the money compartment.

Phase II. The performer tables a stack of dollar bills, to serve as a prediction. The participant shuffles her card into the deck. The performer explains that the number of dollars in the prediction indicate her cards position in the deck. Thirteen dollars are counted and 13 cards are dealt, but the selection does not appear. The performer asks the participant to check his wallet. She does so, and again discovers her signed card.

No palming, no gimmicked wallets.

The behind the back handling is difficult, and will require significant practice in order to achieve a smooth execution, but the effect is worth the price of practice. Mr. Hostlers loading sequences are well motivated and quite nice. I really like it.

Royally Wild: The participant cuts the deck into three piles. The performer rubs a Joker against each of the three cut cards, causing the Joker to transform itself into mates of these cards. The performer visibly splits the Joker into two cards that, when combined with the cut cards, form a royal flush.

During the course of the effect, three discrepancies occur. Mr. Hostler contends that performing the transformations at a brisk pace will provide adequate cover for these discrepancies. Im not sure that I buy that claim, and I dont like the effect well enough to test his claim under fire.

The Rauschenberg Effect: A card is selected and lost in the deck. The performer causes it to rise to the top of the deck, twice. The performer shuffles the selection face-up into the deck, but it fails to rise to the top. He shuffles the cards face-up into face-down, but the selection again fails to rise, and he is unable to locate it.

Faced with a hopelessly mixed deck, the performer takes two steps back in time. First, the deck rights itself. The second step back in time is further into the past than the performer anticipated. The cards revert to their pre-printed blank state, except for the selection.

The deck is heavily gimmicked and you start and end dirty. And you know what? I dont care. This effect is strong enough to be a closer. It makes sense for it to be your closing effect, because how are you supposed to proceed, with only one printed card?

Mr. Hostler offers two methods. I prefer the Zarrow-based method, because it expedites the handling. I really like this effect.

Pop: Two Jokers are tabled and a card is selected and cleanly cut into the deck. It instantly transposes with one of the Jokers. The transposition is repeated, this time with a marked Joker. The performer attempts to change the selection into a third Joker but instead, the Jokers visibly transform into duplicates of the selection.

Mr. Hostler admits that he is not satisfied with this effect. I also find the effect to be rather ragged and disjointed. I dont like it.

Cued Redux: The performer displays a miniature pool cue (toothpick). The cue is cleanly broken in two. The performer visibly restores the cue by screwing it back together. The cue can be immediately examined.

This effect was originally published in the October 2006 issue of Genii. Mr. Hostler felt that a few important details were missing from that write-up, so he offers this updated version. This is a delightful presentation, coupled with a smooth handling. I like it.

So, kiss up to one of your trusted magical pals and have them send you a copy of this book. Or go to Mr. Hostlers website and unravel his riddles. Your efforts will be suitably rewarded.

Recommended.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: The Rauschenberg Effect by John Hostler

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 21st, 2009, 3:57 pm

I think it's elitist nonsense: no one should have to beg for information. That's why I write books.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JHostler

Postby JHostler » January 21st, 2009, 8:06 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I think it's elitist nonsense: no one should have to beg for information. That's why I write books.

No begging involved... no more elitist than any given corner (or private session) at a convention. What if I had priced it at $50? $100? $2?

Have a Duvel and relax. It's free. ;)

(And thanks for the kind words, Tom!)

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » January 21st, 2009, 9:06 pm

I printed it out on my laserjet printer and took it to Kinko's. They copied the title page on sturdy stock, slapped a vinyl cover on the back, and comb bound it.

It took 5 minutes and cost me $5.00. The book could easily sell for $25.00. I think it's damn nice of John to give this material away for free! It's his right to limit its availability in any way he chooses.

Don Knox
Favorite Magician: John Carney, Whit "Pop" Haydn, Eugene Burger

Postby Don Knox » January 22nd, 2009, 1:29 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I think it's elitist nonsense: no one should have to beg for information. That's why I write books.

I think Tom Frame was just being exuberant about this book. I know that I am getting more exuberant as I read more and more of John's book - but John was anything but elitist and as I was able to amaze myself by knowing one answer and knowing where I had read the other answer to the riddles - John was back to me in less than an hour.

This is a terrific deal by just the assurance that any writer that can invoke John Hartford, Jerry Garcia, Tom Waits and Charles Bukowski in just a few pages of a magic book has something to say of cosmic import.

Thanks John!

Don

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » January 23rd, 2009, 2:57 pm

Several other members of this forum have received the book. I'm interested in hearing your feedback. And for those of you who don't have the book, what are your thoughts regarding Mr. Hostler's distribution strategy? Come on folks, pitch in your two cents!

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » January 23rd, 2009, 3:55 pm

Mr. Hostler graciously sent me a copy. I'm hoping to read through it this weekend. The artwork and photos look great.

I think its nice of him to offer it up for free to those that have an interest in card magic.

I noticed he changed one of the questions for getting the book. ;-)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

raj k

Postby raj k » January 23rd, 2009, 4:10 pm

Its a pragmatic and fun approach to distribution with no concern for class distinction. Elitism is when you charge outrageous sums of money for access with disregard to talent/skill/knowledge I think Country Clubs. It is almost an honor system, as my pea brain wasnt sophisticated enough so solve the second riddle, If no one lost, how could all gain? (which he's since changed). After racking my noodle, I consulted Google, which promptly returned my request for the solution. That said, I havent earned the right to request the title from Mr. Hostler.

Implementing even more hoops to jump through to acquire the pdf would be reasonable, in my mind. Mr. Hostler isnt being compensated for his work, so creating a cost for acquisition is perfectly acceptable. His cost is for him to stipulate. Im thankful hes not asked us questions from Paris Hiltons latest film

Take it or leave it.
-rk

McKitterick

Postby McKitterick » January 24th, 2009, 7:04 am

Thanks, Tom, for reviewing this book and bringing its unique method of distribution to the forum's attention.

And of course thanks to John for authoring the book and e-publishing it.

I'm not sure of its origin but there is a saying to the effect that the motivation for most of the things we do is either love or money. Obviously John did not publish this book for the money (not that there would have been anything wrong with that if he had) which leads me to conclude he did so because of a love for magic. Although at 103 pages this is definitely an e-book - as opposed to an e-trick or an e-booklet - and will require more than a few days to give the attention it deserves, a first look at the contents seem to confirm that suspicion.

In particular the quality and novelty of the effects and methods ... excuse me, the quality and novelty of the consequtionis and modi contained in The Rauschenberg Effect (for in addition to magic tricks, the book provides a bit of an education in Latin and some other languages - not to mention critical opinion on Bob Dylan's late 70's/early 80's recordings and a variety of miscellaneous matters) show a person who searched for his magical soul over a number of years and has now shared some of what he learned while doing so.

You can't really ask for more than that ... even in the books you pay money for.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 27th, 2009, 5:42 am

I downloaded The Rauschenberg Effect and put it on a CD, took it to Kinko's and they printed and bound the thing for about 12 ($16.50). I just started reading it and it looks excellent, with many photo illustrations and a nice layout.

The first trick is "Five Card Mental Leap" a version of Vernon's "Five Card Mental Force" and the Princess Card Trick, with a no-miss guarantee. First rate.

Thanks to John Hostler for the gift of a book that could easily have sold for $40.

Matt Field

John Carey

Postby John Carey » January 31st, 2009, 2:38 pm

Hi Guys,

To anyone who has this ebook, who gets credit for the devilish one from 5 switch with the upjogged card at the end of the five card mental leap? It's a brilliant idea with alot of applications I am sure.

John

JHostler

Postby JHostler » January 31st, 2009, 4:09 pm

John Carey wrote:Hi Guys,
To anyone who has this ebook, who gets credit for the devilish one from 5 switch with the upjogged card at the end of the five card mental leap? It's a brilliant idea with alot of applications I am sure.

John

The central move was inspired by Paul Harris' "Think of a Card," though the handling differs substantially.

John Carey

Postby John Carey » February 2nd, 2009, 9:03 am

Hi,

The switchout technique of 1 from five I have been informed was published by Roger Crothswaite in his book Arcardia and is known as the up jog switch.

I applied it to a mental discernement type effect yesterday and it plays so strong.

John

Eric Fry

Postby Eric Fry » February 2nd, 2009, 10:13 am

I echo everyone else's appreciation of Mr. Hostler's generous offer and the quality of the e-book production and its content.

But in the spirit of Mr. Hostler inviting comments: in Five Card Mental Leap I'm wondering whether producing the mate card at the end is an anti-climax rather than an effective kicker.

Here's my thinking: You say you'll find in the deck the mate of a mentally selected card. Instead, to the magician's own surprise, the selected card vanishes from under the spec's hand and the magician locates it in the deck. In other words, the climax already has topped what you said you'd do.

To now pull the mate out of your pocket is 1. less impressive than what just happened, and 2. reveals that you weren't really surprised to find the selected card in the deck, and 3. suggests that the five mates are scattered on your person and you knew ahead of time what five cards would be used for the spec's choice.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » February 2nd, 2009, 10:49 am

I had the same conclusion Eric. My first thought was to just perform it without a kicker (and see if anyone mentions anything about the mate at all).

Here is an alternate presentation, which I'm trying to determine if it's any better (and the best method to do it).

You say you'll find in the deck the mate of the mentally selected card.
When asked what the card is, you turn over showing that you did find the mate (first climax).
Place the mate face down and then reveal that the original card is missing from packet they have been holding (second climax).
Turn the original mate back over, showing that the card has transformed to the original thought of card (final climax).

Just a thought.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » February 2nd, 2009, 11:27 am

And while I'm thinking about it. I believe I saw Howie Schwarzman at a lecture a few years ago perform a similar concept in which he secretly switches out all the cards after a spectator thinks of one.

I really liked his method, which would probably work very well here. I just need to find the lecture notes!

Eric Fry

Postby Eric Fry » February 2nd, 2009, 12:00 pm

For me there's another benefit of not doing the kicker:

You don't need the mates, which means you don't need to switch packets, do the "drop" move or a false count -- or even displace the 4H when you're running through the deck.

And you don't have to worry about someone noticing that the four cards face up at the end aren't the original cards.

Instead, I'm thinking of using dups of four of the cards and placing the 4H on the face of the five-card packet. When I gather up the five face-up cards with my empty hands, I will turn them face down, square them, cop the 4H, and set the packet down in front of the spec.

Then I will place the deck back in my left hand. The 4H is on the face, and the dups of the other four cards are on top. A cut, which is part of Mr. Hostler's presentation, brings them together.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » February 2nd, 2009, 12:52 pm

Interesting ideas, but - if you don't switch out - how on earth do you access the mentally selected card while the spec still covers his/her four cards? It is the sequencing - the isolation of the mental selection *prior* to touching the cards under the spec's hands - that raises this routine from the humdrum.

I'm genuinely curious - feel free to PM me.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Eric Fry

Postby Eric Fry » February 2nd, 2009, 1:01 pm

Hi. Thanks for corresponding!

I do what you do. After tossing down the selected card using your excellent method, I hold a break over the 4H (and any other cards left in the packet) at the bottom of the deck, as you do. Then I spread out the spec's four face-down cards, as you do, and I do that excellent move of yours to scoop them up, add the stock on top, toss into left hand, put it all on top of the deck, and deal face up the top four cards.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » February 2nd, 2009, 1:07 pm

Gotcha - You're referencing the proposed method w/ dupes. We simply have different goals - I leveraged the Princess principle specifically to avoid them... hence the lack of detail in the "Tip" on page 9!

JHostler

Postby JHostler » March 13th, 2009, 9:27 pm

A big thanks to the 410 folks (so far) who've downloaded TRE - particularly my friends in Germany, Sweden, and the UK. I hope it worth the effort.

This post may belong in another thread... but a "tip sheet" comprised of improvements and insights on TRE content is scheduled for April distribution. Anyone interested in either contributing to or receiving the addendum may contact me privately by email.

Cheers,

JMH

JHostler

Postby JHostler » December 8th, 2010, 8:48 am

FYI -

RE 2.0 is being offered as a free bonus by Vanishing Inc. through year-end... "no questions asked." :o)
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Edward

Postby Edward » December 9th, 2010, 8:37 pm

How do I get the free bonus? I went to vanishing Inc., and I could not see any download?

John Wilson

Postby John Wilson » December 9th, 2010, 9:54 pm

John,
I am interested in the RE, but the link to your "riddles" doesn't seem to work any longer. How do I go about proving my worth?

JHostler

Postby JHostler » January 3rd, 2011, 8:54 pm

John Wilson wrote:John,
I am interested in the RE, but the link to your "riddles" doesn't seem to work any longer. How do I go about proving my worth?

"Proving ones worth" is a rather harsh way to put it. That said, I (for the moment) am no longer directly distributing the book.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 16th, 2011, 9:22 pm

J, someone on the cafe seems to have reinvented a triumph ... ??
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

JHostler

Postby JHostler » September 17th, 2011, 12:44 pm

If you're talking about this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhw-NAhN9OI, it's not mine... but folks seem to think it is. Very odd.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 18th, 2011, 12:08 pm

I was the one who made that connection when the item came up on the magic cafe. I recalled enough from your PDF (since lost between back backups between hard drives) I at least wanted to establish the method precidence of your item.

PS - would you kindly email me another PDF of your Rauschenberg Effect PDF? If you have records from back when you made the initial offer you'll find me on your list of recipients.

thanks,

jon

jontown@aol.com
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

JHostler

Postby JHostler » September 18th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Jon - For a number of reasons, I'm no longer distributing the book directly. That said, check your email...

Cheers

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”