Another Convention for Children's entertainers?

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.

Another Convention for Children's entertainers?

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2007, 6:16 pm

A few months ago I made a post on the Magic Cafe asking children's entertainers if they thought there was room in the United States for another convention devoted to the creative side of Children's Entertainment. It would be held at a different time of year to Kidabra, and in a different city. One possibility that was discussed was Phoenix, Arizona, in the month of January. It can be a quieter time of year for many children's entertainers, following the busy holiday season. Arizona is also a beautiful place to visit in January.

Unfortunately, when I made this post over on the Cafe, it was deleted, and I was banned!! It appears that the reason was that one or two individuals who were involved with Kidabra did not approve, and felt threatened. I contacted Mark Daniel, the organiser of Kidabra, who was extremely helpful, wished me luck, and offered his support.

So that people do not start flaming on this thread, I wish to make it very clear that I am fully supportive of Kidabra.

I am bringing this matter up again on Richard's forum, to see the reaction of other children's entertainers, and possibly re-open the debate! It seems to me that with so many conventions in the USA for adult entertainers, that there is definitely room for another one for children's entertainers. What do you all think? JR

Re: Another Convention for Children's entertainers?

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2007, 8:19 pm

I think there is room for another, Roger, provided it's at a time of year and in a location that is not competing too closely with Kidabra...and perhaps takes a different approach?
I believe you do have this "covered" though...I would love to come down to Arizona to have some fun!

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Chris.....

The original plan was to have this convention in Arizona in January of 2008. However, with all the organization involved, and the fact that it is Super Bowl in January 2008 in Phoenix, it seems to make sense for it to take place the following year. Professor Spellbinder, who is a member of this forum, did a wonderful job contacting hotels.........although some of the winter rates here did seem a little heavy. Spellbinder also had a wonderful idea of this becoming the first magic cyber convention. In other words, it would be possible for children's entertainers anywhere on the planet to log in and see the lectures and other events live.

I am also in touch with many top children's entertainers in England such as Magic Dave, Tony James, and Kimmo, who have expressed an interest in flying out for this event. PLEASE can some of you let me know what you think of this idea, and whether you think there is room for another kids convention! Thanks! JR

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2007, 6:32 pm

http://www.kimmo.co.uk

I have just noticed that Kimmo has joined this forum. If you are not familiar with his work, he really is, in my opinion, one of the top children's entertainers in the UK. Hopefully, if this convention materialises, he will come and lecture. You really should check out the videos on his website.............terrific!! JR

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2007, 7:58 pm

i think it would be fun to see something out west. I would be love to be there.

Ken

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2007, 10:07 pm

That would be terrific, Ken. I unalaterally appoint you to the planning committee!! JR

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2007, 5:15 pm

Hmm, the chance to get out of Vermont in the depths of January to sunny Arizona, I'm there. Sounds interesting Roger!

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2007, 7:18 pm

Another entertainer I would like to see at the convention is Danny Hustle. He is based out of Boston, and is in my opinion one of the best Children's entertainers in the United States. I understand he never stops working up there in New England, so he might be hard to get!!

You can see a video clip on his website:
http://thedannyhustleshow.com

JR

Return to “Children's Entertainment”