Loner

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
Fonz

Loner

Postby Fonz » April 5th, 2016, 11:05 pm

I have been a member of my local magic club for 3 years. Really nice group of elderly gentlemen. Every now and again some local teens show up...maybe a college student or two from the local university. They usually don't stay with us long...often stating that the laborious business meetings, and the lack of actual magic performed once the business meeting is over is a turn-off. People in my age range (30-45)
often state the same reasons for avoiding club membership.

Recently my motivation has evaporated in regards to the monthly club meetings. I have patiently sat through the "Showtime" segment of our meetings and am positive that I have seen the square circle performed at least 30 times... same goes for Gene Anderson's newspaper tear. The fellows are not interested in the type of magic I enjoy (close-up...leaning towards a purists approach). They also find card magic boring and a waste of time (laymen hate card tricks, so they tell me).

My magic club used to be my local magic hangout. The only alternative is to visit sites such as this and imagine what it would be like to actually sit down and session with other magicians who share my same interests. Anyone else ever been in this dilemma?

Anthony Vinson

Re: Loner

Postby Anthony Vinson » April 6th, 2016, 10:00 am

Question: Have you considered running for club president? Perhaps the organization has slipped into a rut and needs fresh leadership? If you are not yet ready for president, then perhaps toss your top hat into the linking ring for VP or sergeant at arms or even treasurer if you've got the right skill set. Thing is, if you're feeling the way you describe, the likelihood is that you aren't alone. Sometimes all it takes is enthusiasm and leadership. Think about it, if you haven't already. And if you have thought about it, think a little more.

Fonz

Re: Loner

Postby Fonz » April 6th, 2016, 2:03 pm

Thanks for the great advice! I was President of our club and proposed some discreet changes that I thought might entice a broader membership base...most of the club members have been around for years and years...their philosophy is basically to keep everything the same as it has always been done.

Anyhow...I followed the advice of...think some more. I don't think I am cut out to be a treasurer or any of the administrative positions mentioned. I realized my dilemma...I want to perform for laymen...not other magicians. It seems the more magic club meetings or magician based websites I visit there seems to be a disproportional number of magicians with opinions of how magic should be performed as opposed to magicians who actually perform.

Last night I went out and got myself booked at my friends restaurant to perform on Friday and Saturdays during the upcoming tourist season...Any members here do regular gigs that could compare notes this Summer?

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”