Magic Castle Audition Advice

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Magic Castle Audition Advice

Postby Joe Naud » September 24th, 2013, 3:49 pm

All, being a lifelong magic enthusiast, collector and non-performer and having recently moved back to California I am now in a position to join the Magic Castle, which is a lifelong dream. I want to go in as a magician and will shortly be facing the audition process. I was hoping some of you who have already gone through the process might be able to shed some light what I should expect. I'm only asking if you feel it is appropriate to discuss and will totally understand if you don't feel it appropriate. Also, if you think this topic might be better done via email or PM please feel free to contact me one on one. Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Thanks, Joe
email: jcjm1664, at, sbcglobal. net

Mark Collier

Re: Magic Castle Audition Advice

Postby Mark Collier » September 24th, 2013, 4:01 pm

You don't have to be a performing magician to be awarded magician member status. I would recommend going in and talking about your collection, knowledge of magic history, books you've read and generally try to demonstrate that you are a serious student of magic. Of course, it would be nice to demonstrate something but let it be known that performing hasn't been the focus of your studies. You can try again if you don't make it the first time. Good luck!

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » September 24th, 2013, 8:35 pm

My advice is don't try to learn something new in an effort to impress them. Do something you do well and with which you are very comfortable.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » September 25th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate you taking the time to offer this advice. Does anyone else want to chime in. Thanks in advance for your guidance!
Thanks, Joe

Diego

Postby Diego » September 25th, 2013, 7:14 pm

When I went before the membership committee, I told them that I brought part of my collection, and showed them some autographed Houdini letters, (which interested and impressed them) and told them if they didn't like my act, hopefully they will have liked seeing part of my collection and grant membership anyway.

They laughed, and then I did my act.
I received membership that night.
Don't know if it was the collection, the act, or both, but I got in.

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”