Chicago Area Clubs

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
MBJ

Chicago Area Clubs

Postby MBJ » December 21st, 2004, 1:33 am

Hi,
I'm new here. Thanks to my grandchildren, I've gotten back into magic. Does anyone know of any Chicago area clubs that meet during the week? I'm a musician and work most Friday and Saturday nights, which seems to be when most clubs meet. I've been out of the magic loop for a long time and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jack
"That's my story and I'm Stickin' to it!"

Necromancer

Re: Chicago Area Clubs

Postby Necromancer » December 21st, 2004, 1:33 pm

Hi Jack,

Chicago Assembly #3 of the Society of American Magicians meets on the southwest side of town on the fourth Monday of every month.

Besides being a source of cameraderie and magical knowledge, the club provides a marvelous link to the history of magic in Chicago: its charter was signed into existence in 1917 by then-National President Harry Houdini (which we have had archivally mounted and preserved -- the charter, not Houdini). It became the home club for a number of local legends in magic, including Bert Allerton (past Assembly and National President), Werner Dornfield (past Assembly and National President), Jim Ryan (bar-magic legend), Clettis Mussun, and others. Our current Assembly Dean, Frank Hall, can even tell you about one of his first magical jobs: performing at the "Century of Progress" Chicago World's Fair of 1933!

As current Assembly President myself, I invite you to drop me a note if you'd like to come to a meeting: neil@necromancerevents.com

As if that weren't enough magical activity for one place, there are other SAM assemblies in Joliet and Elmhurst, an IBM ring that meets at Magic Inc., the Mazda Mystic Ring in Crystal Lake, Misdirections in Arlington Heights, and Magic Masters in Tinley Park. And if it's just lectures you want, both Magic Inc. and Midwest Magic (Franklin Park) have their own lecture series.

Welcome back to the fold,
Neil Tobin
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2004, 3:58 pm

cool, i got people to hang out with in shy-town... i'm moving there soon.i plan to join the club & or just hang.

MBJ

Postby MBJ » December 21st, 2004, 9:39 pm

Thanks Neil. I'm probably more enamored with magic now than ever before. I can't get enough of it. I'll let you know about the meeting. I would love to make one. I live in Naperville, but will be moving to Crystal Lake towards the end of next year. If I join SAM or IBM, can I attend any meeting?
I had the pleasure of hanging out a couple of times with Jim Ryan. In the late 70's early 80's there was a magic shop around Irving and Central (forgot the name) and met Jim there. I bought a couple of his books and he showed me a simple alternative to the pass. What a great guy.
I look forward to meeting you soon.
Thanks again,
Jack
"That's my story and I'm Stickin' to it!"

Necromancer

Postby Necromancer » December 22nd, 2004, 8:51 am

Don't worry, Jack -- membership in SAM or IBM won't preclude you from attending any other meetings.

Talk to you soon,
Neil Tobin
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”