House of Magic in San Francisco is gone

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
Jeff Haas

House of Magic in San Francisco is gone

Postby Jeff Haas » December 28th, 2005, 5:44 pm

I just tried to drop by the House of Magic in San Francisco. It's gone, the place is empty and there's a "For Rent" sign in the window.

Anyone know what happened? Pete?

The shop was there about 40 years...legend has it that Harry Anderson bought his first tricks there when he was a street performer. I bought my first Invisible Deck from Buma Sr. when I was about 12. Mark Burger always had a lot of interesting props and books there, including gorgeous pewter cups and balls sets he made himself.

Jeff

Bob Taxin

Re: House of Magic in San Francisco is gone

Postby Bob Taxin » December 28th, 2005, 7:53 pm

Hi Jeff-
Yes, it seems that Mark has folded his tent. I brought this up in the "Buzz" section. As I said there, Mark has a very slick web site (MarkBurger.com) so I presume he's just doing internet sales now. If anyone has any information, please let us know! I also wonder what happened to Gary and Gene. Those guys were always helpful and friendly to me. I wish them all well.
Bob Taxin

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2006, 12:38 pm

I just read this, it's been a couple of years since I've seen Mark. I was gonna go there this weekend! I've been going in there for 20 years. Mark treated me really well. Well, I wish him and his family the best. Gary too.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 9th, 2006, 1:25 pm

We already have another thread on this subject, so I'm locking this one. Please make your posts there.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”