Hawaii Vacation

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
George Olson

Hawaii Vacation

Postby George Olson » November 10th, 2006, 3:53 pm

We are going to visit Hawaii (Honolulu) December 15th to the 20th; anything magical going on?

GO

Re: Hawaii Vacation

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2006, 5:31 pm

George:

I've been going down every January for the last few years and stay at the Hale Koa resort located right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The Hale Koa has a nice little magic show every week. Here's the link:
http://halekoa.com/magic.htm

Mark Allen Mauricio does a nice job and the food is good!! Very family oriented show and a lot of fun. Well worth attending if you get the chance.

There's also Magic of Polynesia with John Hirokawa.I haven't seen it yet but here's a link:
http://www.hawaiiguide.com/entert~1/magic/magicde.htm

A bit pricier but a much more elaborate production.

Other than that I haven't had much luck finding a lot more and my annual posts haven't gotten a very good response.

Let me know if you find anything more. I'll need the info. for my trip in January 2007.

Aloha and enjoy !!!!

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2006, 6:39 pm

One thing about the magic show at the Hale Koa:

Since it's a military hotel, the person purchasing the tickets has to have a military ID.

Attending the show is not an issue, just purchasing the tickets.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » November 11th, 2006, 7:47 am

Thanks guys.

Are Bobby Acoba, and Alan Akawa (sp) still working? I remember years ago one of them worked at the Kahala and had a great routine with a scallop shell and pearls. It was written up some place and I have a copy in my files.

Fred Ball had a great family show at the Queen Kapialani (sp) in the 70's.

By the way Tom, I taught at Palatine High School in 1958 for one Semester!

GO

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2006, 7:30 pm

George:

Check this out for what looks to be a good list. It looks like Bobby Acoba is still there. He does a nice routine with people at opposite ends of the bar cutting to cards.
Magic in Hawaii

George Olson

Postby George Olson » November 12th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Steve

Thanks, that was really helpful!

GO

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2006, 7:30 pm

Steve:

What a great resource. Thanks

George:

I just moved to the Palatine area from the Southwest burbs a few years back but I do like it here a lot. - Tom

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2006, 9:50 pm

I lived in hawaii for a few years and when i was there Bobby was still working.

I would visit him weekly to see him perform, and i would perform as well.

It was great. He works on the top floor of one of the hotels, cant remember which one though.

It's definately worth your time.

Postby Guest » November 16th, 2006, 1:55 am

A few years ago I spent a week in Hawaii, at the Halekoa and I went to the show. It was quite nice, and was pleased with it. The guy there, I can't remember his name, even did a Metamorphasis, which he billed as the quickest illusion in the world. This was a bold statement to make, with such great acts out there. While he was not the Pendragons, he did a great job, even for such a smaller dinner theatre event.

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2006, 7:22 am

I believe that Curtis Kam worked there a few years back. opie

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2006, 2:07 am

Folks,
Bobby Acoba is still at Aaron's (atop the Ala Moana hotel); call ahead as his schedule has changed; The last time I saw Bobby he was bartending/magic at the Ihilani Resort on weekends; I believe it was indeed Curtis Kam performing the "metamorphosis" at the Hale Koa, Mark Maricio has since replaced him and yes, only Military can purchase tickets to the show;

Both Allen Okawa & Bobby Acoba worked the Kahala Hilton as bartending magicians; the shell effect was an original creation of Allen; I believe you can find the routine in Richard's Almanac; Allen Okawa is still alive and well, although somewhat reclusive;

Check in at Zuke's Magic Shop, the IBM link provided gives additional details;

Aloha,
BWind

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I'll be back in Hawaii at the Hale Koa beginning next Monday Jan. 14-25 for my annual visit/vacation and looking for any magic fun/tips as usual.

I may skip the Mark Alan Maurucio show at the Hale Koa this year as (although it's a really good show and a bargain with dinner included) it's been the same show the last 3 visits. Looks like I will be leaving the day of the Daryl lecture so will miss that also.

If there are any fun sessions or anything going on let me know. Thanks- Tom

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”