The World's First Magic Cafe

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
Tim Ellis

The World's First Magic Cafe

Postby Tim Ellis » August 13th, 2005, 11:51 pm

A new magic shop opened here in Melbourne yesterday called 'Trick or Treat'. It's a magic shop & rehearsal studio/party centre run by Tammii & Tim You, combined with a gourmet cafe and catering service run by Tim's brother Brad (Chef) and his wife Erin.

As far as I know this is a first in the world of magic and it's working incredibly well! Yesterday hundreds of families turned up and, while the kids went crazy in the magic shop, the parents enjoyed coffee and cake in the cafe. A week before they opened they'd had over 60 enquiries from people wanting to have birthday parties there and, on the opening day, almost a dozen reserved dates for their functions.

You can see some pictures of the opening day here: www.MagicUnlimited.Typepad.com

Does anyone know of any other magic shop in the world like this?

TIM ELLIS

Dan Magyari

Re: The World's First Magic Cafe

Postby Dan Magyari » August 14th, 2005, 11:06 am

Glad you asked Tim. Along the same lines, is California Magic and Novelty in Martinez, California.

They are focusing on dinner theatre however. Next performance is Mike Caveney and Tina Lenert. You can see some pictures here: http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=California+Magic+%26+Novelty&page=1&offset=3&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D45e8a44c6177221c%26clickedItemRank%3 D1%26userQuery%3DCalifornia%2BMagic%2B%2526%2BNovelty%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.calmagic.com%252F%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPIndex2%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&r emove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calmagic.com%2F

Gerry Griffin has created a very nice environment to showcase local and international magical performance, while having a nice dinner.

It certainly would be nice if more class operations existed for magicians to showcase their talents. I hope we hear about more throughout the world.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » October 11th, 2005, 10:21 pm

That place looks great! More a theatre restaurant than 'Trick or Treat' but I'd love to go there one day. (We haven't been to San Francisco for YEARS!)

TIM

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » November 10th, 2005, 4:18 pm

For a while during its second year (1985), Magic Island in Houston did have a rudimentary magic shop at its front counter. It was not a major success, though.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 10th, 2005, 5:45 pm

Makes me almost want to move back up to N. Calif.
Stay tooned.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » November 11th, 2005, 9:42 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Makes me almost want to move back up to N. Calif.
You bet!! It was nice there in Walnut Creek!!! And Byron Walker close too!!! But still, no Magic Castle. I know you enjoy being close to the Castle.

-=tabman

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”