Abracadabra

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Shazzbatt

Abracadabra

Postby Shazzbatt » February 8th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know who currently owns the rights to the now defunct Abracadabra Magazine please? (Formally Goodliffes Abracadabra)

Thanks,

Martin.

AJM

Re: Abracadabra

Postby AJM » February 8th, 2014, 2:22 pm

I think it was taken over by Davenports of London.

Andrew

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: Abracadabra

Postby Q. Kumber » February 8th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Davenports own the rights.

When they decided to stop publishing a few years ago, they had a potential buyer who wanted to buy not just the magazine but the rights to the back issues, however I believe they were only interested in selling Abra as a going concern. So the deal fell through and Abra stopped.

The rights to the early Goodliffe publications ( 1940/50s) were sold by Goodliffe to Supreme Magic.

The later Goodliffe publications (those published in the 60s and later) were sold to Davenports when they bought Abra.

When Goodliffe died his sons ran Abra for a while but they had no interest in magic and after a while sold the whole concern to Davenports.

Davenports did a deal with Magico of New York to publish Harbin X2, which consisted of Harbincadabra and Early Harbin. Harbincadabra was first published by Goodliffe being a compilation of Harbin's contributions to Abra and the latter were books that Davenports had bought the rights to years before. Magico also republished, 'Children's Parties a Speciality' by Peter D'Arcy, another Goodliffe publication from 1971 or 1972.

Davenports own the rights to a lot of tricks and books and I don't know why they don't produce them.

Return to “Other Magic Publications”