E. Raymond Carlyle and the Magic Castle’s Houdini Séance

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

E. Raymond Carlyle and the Magic Castle’s Houdini Séance

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 28th, 2013, 1:40 pm

In my article in issue Number 185 (September, 2013) of MAGICOL, I mistakenly imply that Sandy Spillman was the first “medium” to work in the Houdini Séance Room at the Magic Castle. This is an error of immense proportion considering that for more than a decade, E. Raymond Carlyle (Ed Fowler) held that position. The information was there for me to find during my research, I just plain missed it.

While I do not write that Mr. Spillman was the “first medium,” by leaving Mr. Fowler’s name out of the article it is very easy for anyone to come away with that idea, and it is, of course, wrong and the fault is mine.

I feel terrible—and I am very embarrassed—about this since it is a bell that cannot be un-rung. The best I can do is sincerely apologize to Mr. Fowler for this incredible blunder and set the record straight here.

I also sincerely apologize to David Ben, Julie Eng, the rest of the staff, as well as the readers of MAGICOL whose trust in me and my work has been injured.

There have only been a few moments in my life where I honestly wish I could go back in time and fix something. This is one of them.

Thanks for your time,
Dustin Stinett

You can learn more about E. Raymond Carlyle at his site. PLEASE be sure to visit the “ABOUT CARLYLE” link where you can learn more about him and his time as the FIRST medium in the Houdini Séance Room at the Magic Castle:

http://carlyletouch.com/

Julie Eng

Re: E. Raymond Carlyle and the Magic Castle’s Houdini Séance

Postby Julie Eng » October 28th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Thanks Dustin, for clarifying. We have also posted your statement on our Mystery & History blog for Magicol readers:

http://magicol.magicana.com/carlyle-mag ... le-seance/

Best,
Julie

Return to “Other Magic Publications”