The Show Doctor by Jeff McBride

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Bob Cunningham

The Show Doctor by Jeff McBride

Postby Bob Cunningham » June 23rd, 2012, 6:08 pm

I downloaded "The Show Doctor" by Jeff McBride and Lawrence Hass today. The book is a compilation of four years of Jeff McBride's columns from Magic Magazine (which I had not previously read) and It is very impressive.

The content looks great but I am most impressed with their use of the iPad as a delivery vehicle. This is not just a digital version of the print edition. The iPad version makes good use of the potential interactive experience of a tablet. Many of the presentational concepts that are taught here have video clips illustrating key points and there are slideshows used to illustrate other points.

I suspect many people will find that the iPad version will provide them with a better learning experience than the paper version of the book (and it's about half the cost). A free sample of the book is available on the iTunes store so you can check it out first and see if it appeals to you before laying out $25. :/

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Re: The Show Doctor by Jeff McBride

Postby Steve Bryant » June 23rd, 2012, 7:52 pm

It's a gorgeous work; I've been at it all afternoon. And I had read the genesis of it before. Jeff's advice is some of the best, most specific, dead on I have read. The video additions are excellent as have been the new tricks I have read so far. But beyond the great content of this first effort, the format is awesome.

MartinKaplan

Postby MartinKaplan » June 24th, 2012, 6:18 am

After a brief search I discovered that the book is available in the App Store. Look for the App MAGIC DIGITAL BOOKS. If you download the app and then open it, you can either get the preview or buy the book.

-Marty

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » July 2nd, 2012, 11:42 am

You can also find the MAGIC Digital Books app by searching for "Jeff McBride" in the App Store. And I agree with the others, it's great.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 2nd, 2012, 12:10 pm

Does look really stunning.

Arjanvv

Postby Arjanvv » July 30th, 2012, 5:11 am

Once opened, I read from the first to the last page before I closed this book again. Wow, these pages contain an overwhelming amount of practical knowledge, wisdom and clever tricks. I think this is a great book, and it is my pleasure to write a review.

Jeff Mcbride, named as one the most influential magicians of our time, collected in this book the columns he wrote for Magic Magazine over the course of four years. In these 48 (revised) columns McBride answers questions of readers ranging from making your magic more fun, sweaty hands, building an in house theater, to tips on stage illusions. McBride shares his knowledge and experience in short columns of about 2 pages in an easy to read style. His examples and advices are direct, witty and honest: a questioner with five years experience who wants to build a full evening show is advised to follow his dream, and to be realistic: Great magicians are created one trick at a time (a quote by Eugene Burger).

Being an experienced Masterclass Student I recognize a lot of the tips I read, and again am impressed with the practical clearness of the teachings. Indeed, McBride proves there is little as practical as practical theory! But McBride is not only smart, he is wise too, having a deep love for magic and a deep love to helping people becoming better in every way. His advice is never to dream less, but always to dream more, and to dream with your eyes wide open. And in sharing his own experiences, successful and unsuccessful, he inspires to stay focused in getting the best out of yourself, as a magician and as a human!

Next to the revised columns from Magic Magazine you find some interviews by editor Lawrence Hass to go into a subject a little deeper and several extensively described magic effects. The tricks range from a close-up routine with coins, to mind reading the participants first kiss to a low budget illusion to make yourself vanish on stage. Often you find references to books, YouTube videos and articles on McBrides own online learning ground www.magicalwisdom.com.

The hardcover book is very well produced, with high quality paper and witty drawings at the beginning of each chapter by Craig Conley and most illustrations with the tricks are by the late master illustrator Earle oakes. If you want to go digital, theres an IPad version of the book as well available.

In short, this is one of the most practical books available to improving your magic, learn some of the most powerful tricks of the trade and learn some new strong magic tricks. This book is highly recommended.

About the reviewer Arjan van Vembde
I am a part time professional magician from Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I worked weekly over six years in a restaurant as magician of the house and won several prices at competitions. I am serious about creating an experience of wonder for my audience and have a fond interest in theory and philosophy of magic. In daily life I work as a consultant on organisational development.

Return to “Other Magic Publications”