The Essential Sol Stone

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
Sean-Dylan

The Essential Sol Stone

Postby Sean-Dylan » April 12th, 2012, 8:58 am

I see that this is being advertised on the Genii forum. Mark Sicher introduced me to Mr. Stone in the late 80s at Ruebens in NYC and he absolutely blew me away with several effects. Is this the same book that Richard Kaufman announced years ago? Will this be reviewed in Genii? Can a table of contents be posted?

Bill McFadden

Re: The Essential Sol Stone

Postby Bill McFadden » April 12th, 2012, 12:53 pm

This is the book RK wrote about some time ago. Stephen Hobbs took over shortly after Mr. Alexander's sudden, untimely passing. I'm really looking forward to this, as I regularly study Dr. Stone's effects, methods and techniques.

I'm curious whether this book will be released for sale by dealers. In any event, I'm delighted it's finally here - and published in Dr. Stone's lifetime.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 12th, 2012, 2:16 pm

I didn't realize that Cassidy Alexander had done the illustrations until I checked the ad.

Her artistic talent is wonderful!

For example: http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/5478 ... honor.html

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 12th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Bill has the facts, but in the wrong order. I hired Stephen Hobbs to write the book, which he did, quite a few years ago.

Then, a few years after that, I took about 400 photos of Sol Stone's hands.

Then, I bought Genii.

David Alexander purchased the completed manuscript plus all the photos from me, with the plan that his wife--a very talented artist--would do the illustrations. And they're beautiful!

I have seen the completed layout and David Britland will be reviewing it in Genii's June issue.

Sol Stone is the unsung hero of coin magic--without him there would have been no David Roth, and without Roth, there would never have been the resurgence in coin magic that we saw in the 70s, 80s, and which continues today.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mike P

Postby Mike P » April 12th, 2012, 10:43 pm

He has a great style. He was the person who told several of us something that has stuck with me for 35yrs.

He said you need to know when to slow the magic down.

Slow magic can be impossible magic.

He then did Spellbound where showing the coin was a slow pace then the change happened as if his fingers just touched it....it was beautiful to watch in person. A real magical moment he repeated again and again. He never said his hands were empty but used a subtle moment to burn it into your brain it was empty.

Can't wait to get this book.
Thanks,
Mobius

Steve Cohen

Postby Steve Cohen » April 26th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Hearing a favorite song often calls forth other related memories. A tune may remind you of a high school dance, a particular friend, or a vacation spot.

Reading a magic book can do that to you too. I recently had the good fortune to read an advance copy of The Essential Sol Stone, and found myself whisked away to my teenage years in the mid-1980s. It was an emotional experience. My best friend at the time was the late Mark Sicher, a young and exceptionally talented New York magician. Together we visited Reubens delicatessen on Madison and 38th Street, the designated meeting spot for magicians every Saturday afternoon.

The undisputed center of attention each week was Harry Lorayne. Harry was there to both give and to take at the time he was soliciting the local guys for material to publish in Apocalypse, but in turn giving full performances of his inimitable card magic. He was amazing, and I learned a lot from watching him riff and interact with the crowd. Seeing Harry bring his published routines to life was like a magic classroom for me.

Off to another side of Reubens there was a quieter corner, occupied by a subtle man who also served as a mentor to me. That man was Sol Stone.

Mark Sicher had taught me some of Sols coin magic, but it looked even better in the creators hands. Sols coin vanishes, glass penetration, his linking links, and his backclip vanishes were moves that looked thoroughly magical. His touch with coins was soft and light and his delivery and engagement was warm and inviting.

Im happy to say that all of the material I learned from Sol Stone over the many years visiting Reubens is included in The Essential Sol Stone. Im even happier that Sol is alive to see his work collected in this magnum opus. Sleight of hand magicians who missed out on private sessions with him can learn from his lifetime of creativity and experience. Its all in the book. The only thing missing is the calm, gentle voice and the soft pat on your arm that Sol used to invite you in closer, to witness his very magical routines.

-Steve Cohen
http://www.chambermagic.com

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » May 9th, 2012, 2:32 am

Has anyone successfully ordered the book using the ad on the forum? I have sent a couple of queries to Cassidy but have received no reply.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 9th, 2012, 3:12 am

Hi, Don:

I was able to place and order and correspond with Cassidy. She replied right away. Perhaps she is on vacation or something?

Terry

Postby Terry » May 9th, 2012, 9:10 pm

I emailed Cassidy and she replied right away.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » May 9th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Guess I'll try again.

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » May 12th, 2012, 10:25 am

Apparently Cassidy's email program dumped several emails into her "junk" folder by mistake. She's found them and is contacting the interested parties.

T. Baxter

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » June 22nd, 2012, 10:33 pm

Cassidy Alexander has asked me to announce here that after a delay with the printer, The Essential Sol Stone books have finally arrived and are being shipped. Books are on hand and new orders are happily received.

T. Baxter

Mike P

Postby Mike P » June 23rd, 2012, 2:11 pm

Can she send out an e-mail to those of us that ordered it telling us when it ships? I was not expecting to have them ship to me until next week but it would be nice to know when to look for it.
Thanks,
Mike

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » June 24th, 2012, 9:04 am

Cassidy tells me that she is contacting everyone who ordered to tell them that the books are on their way.

T. Baxter

Mike P

Postby Mike P » June 24th, 2012, 11:25 pm

She contacted me and told me mine has shipped. I should get it this week.
I can hardly wait.

Thanks T.
Mike

Terry

Postby Terry » June 25th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Mine came in today.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » June 25th, 2012, 10:31 pm

This will be IN STOCK this Wednesday at The Magic Apple.
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Mike P

Postby Mike P » June 26th, 2012, 12:57 am

Got mine today as well and am enjoying it. Great material within.

Fast shipping to: Sent on 6/22 and arrived on 6/25.

Thanks,
Mike

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Postby John Bowden » June 28th, 2012, 7:12 am

Mine arrived in Ireland today so everyone should have their book within a few days.
On first viewing is is a beautiful volume and mere words do not, can not, describe the artistry of Cassidy Alexander's illustrations.
I look forward to browsing, reading, re-reading and studying this book.
To all involved in it's production from creating the ideas, putting them into word, illustrating, editing and contributing in any way I say "Well done, stand up and take a bow"

Cheers from the Emerald Isle of Ireland,
John Bowden

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Saw two things at the same time - this thread and my copy of the Sol Stone Book. (Steve Cohen: Thanks for thosa nice words.)I had received a few calls as to the fact that so many of the items in the book were originally written/published by me - and did I give my permission?, etc. Well, it's a bit confusing in my mind. If you check the Appendix of the book, page 251, you'll see that credit is given for the items I selected, wrote up and originally published in APOCALYPSE and in BEST OF FRIENDS.
It does mention in that area that many of the items (16 of them) were in a set of Sol's 1993 Lecture Notes. I do remember giving permission for that. I honestly don't recall being specifically asked for permission for the items in the current book. But, no matter - I know Sol for decades, his stuff is great and of course I would have given permission, if I was asked. So, for those who called, who care, and etc., there is no problem. I was asked for a quote - I said, "If it is from Sol Stone's mind it will be great for your hands." And that's for sure.
Thirty-Eight items are listed as originally written by me (I think there are a couple more); items that I originally selected to write up, made up the titles for most, if not all, of them (I remember how pleased I was with "Cointemplate"), and so on - so, it's gotta be good, right!!!??? Enjoy! Harry Lorayne.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 29th, 2012, 5:39 pm

Just as a PS. It has been suggested before, but this made me think about it anew. Right now, I'm trying to complete Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Vol. 4 - the last in the series. It's a tough one to do, the material, and the fact that I'm older - I'm re-writing and updating my own The Magic Book, Star Quality (The magic of David Regal) and The Card Classics of Ken Krenzel.

I'm mentioning this because the "suggestion" I mention above is that I do a book updating all my items in the 20 years of APOCALYPSE, plus my Out To Lunch columns and some of the Lorayne Storms. (And maybe my own items out of my three BEST OF FRIENDS volumes.) And also because of the success of an-almost like that in the Sol Stone book. Anyway, it's something I might think about - remember the "I'm older" phrase above!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 29th, 2012, 6:06 pm

I just had a very nice lunch with Harry in New York City and while he may be older, he has no less energy than he did when I last saw him 15 years ago. In fact, he may have more.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » June 29th, 2012, 6:46 pm

It would be great if you could get Harry for the Genii bash. Many of us are almost as old as Harry and have never met him.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 29th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Harry was in fine fettle, but he says he doesn't like to travel much any more. He is 86.

Going through TSA checkpoints is a real hastle. I can't imagine how I'll feel about it in 30 years.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 29th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Yeah, but for $50,000 I'd put up with it!!!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 29th, 2012, 9:06 pm

That's a little beyond my budget. :)

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 30th, 2012, 12:49 am

Darn!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 30th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Meir Yedid is going to take a pile of books up to Sol's home, so if you want to buy an autographed copy, go to Meir's website: www.mymagic.com

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 27th, 2012, 1:34 am

Just putting the finishing touches on my review of The Essential Sol Stone for M-U-M.

In a word: wonderful.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 28th, 2012, 12:30 am

Found the Table of Contents on the The Magic Cafe.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... rum=110&14

Why isn't there more talk abou this wonderful book?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 28th, 2012, 2:43 am

I think it's just reaching people. We've already reviewed it in Genii.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 28th, 2012, 9:21 am

It's an enjoyable read, and a very handsome book (some of the best line illustrations I've ever seen). Mr. Stone's style is certainly unique amongst the current fascination with flash and pop, and the book reflects that well. He sounds like an interesting guy that I'd enjoy meeting.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » July 28th, 2012, 6:43 pm

A great book. Cassidy's illustrations remind me of Earle Oakes' drawings. I welcome her to the canon of magic book illustrators.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 29th, 2012, 2:51 am

erdnasephile wrote:It's an enjoyable read, and a very handsome book (some of the best line illustrations I've ever seen). Mr. Stone's style is certainly unique amongst the current fascination with flash and pop, and the book reflects that well. He sounds like an interesting guy that I'd enjoy meeting.

Exactly what struck me. a friend once remarked that many of the current crop seem to look like extras in Madonnna's Vogue video when they are working, with all the contrived hand motions and displays...

Stone's Fusion/Fisson routine in which he fuses two quarters into a half dollar, then breaks the half back into quarters just looks like magic. Nothing but...

Ms. Alexander is a portrait artist of no small skill, and combining her artistic eye with Richard's well practiced abilty to photograph what needs to be seen is the perfect combination. And the illustration of Stone doing the Miser's Dream is good enough to BE a portrait.

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » August 23rd, 2012, 12:08 am

I understand that Cassidy Alexander has decided to produce a very limited Collector's Edition of The Essential Sol Stone. I expect these will go very quickly. The response to the regular edition has been terrific.

Here' a link to the info: www.cassidyalexander.com/solstone/

Cheers,

T. Baxter

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » August 23rd, 2012, 1:32 am

It is a fine book by a great man.
We now have 3 threads going regarding the book and Sol Stone.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post272539

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... Post272565
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

R.E.Byrnes

Postby R.E.Byrnes » August 23rd, 2012, 7:35 pm

The illustrations are extraordinary. On just a cursory look, it's obviously an enduring book that commands a lot of attention. And Stone as the necessary antecedent to Roth is an interesting take I hadn't previously seen/heard.

Mag Ferran
Favorite Magician: Frakson

Postby Mag Ferran » August 27th, 2012, 10:27 pm

Not only the illustrations are extraordinary, the book has been extraordinary well written.The descriptions are as clear as wather, simple and direct. The book is very well structured, we have some info about the life of Sol and and explanation of basic manipulations at the beginning. And the most important thing, the content of the book is extraordinary, very direct and structured magic. In most of the effects you cannot change handling because there is no other way to do it but as Sol way. That is because his magic is clever and direct. There are truly gems in the book.

And the edition is very good, you can lay flat the book on the table and read while follow the instructions.
Hic et Ubique

Return to “Other Magic Publications”