the Magic Touch - first issue

Talk about what is being written in other magic publications.
mormonyoyoman

the Magic Touch - first issue

Postby mormonyoyoman » November 11th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Posted over at a dismally depressing place, yet thought folks here might be interested, even Mark Lewis. So, repeating the post, in a redundant fashion, from the Department of Redundancy Department:

The first issue of *the Magic Touch* arrived in my e-mail inbox last week, and it's more pleasing than even I thought it'd be. Since I'm a columnist, I shan't review it - but I shall say that the other columnists have me anxious for the next issue. The highlight of the issue is "Life As the Parent of a Teenage Magician" by Simone Marron (a performer herself, who has put her career on hold to help her son), but the other articles aren't far behind. There's an article on Marco the Magi (Cesreo Pelez), pieces on originality in magic, magic in Wikipedia, Tom Craven bowing in with some tips on ropes, and an article by the aforementioned Son of Simone on BEING a teenaged magician. Plus assorted reviews and obnoxious opinions from yours truly. Next issue promises to be much larger.

And the price is good (continuing with the Mark Lewis references, even he can afford this) it's free from Merlina17@aol.com

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet

opie

Re: the Magic Touch - first issue

Postby opie » November 11th, 2009, 5:45 pm

Maybe we can get Mark to submit some of his great essays to "The Magic Touch".....How about it, Mark?

I am sure that Maria would appreciate great material from just about everybody who has really worthwhile stuff...

opie

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 11th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Magic Magazines pay either no money or little money. I don't think I could be tempted. I like food with my meals.

Merlina

Postby Merlina » November 12th, 2009, 7:06 am

Greetings, thank you Grandpa Chet for your words. The Magic Touch was distributed to the mailing list of those who receive the monday (weekly) updates called "Have you heard?" which covers news of magic happenings, good and welfare, birthdays, broken wands, and other tidbits of information in as timely a manner as a weekly newsletter can. The Magic Touch (TMT) has been something of a dream for a long time and has finally come to fruition with this first issue and thanks to the support and jumping on board done by the contributors to it.

The original distribution list was in the high thousands and since TMT went out, the list is growing by an average of 10 subscribers a day. THANK YOU for the support of all the readers and all your kind words.

Opie, you are correct. TMT accepts contributions from anyone who wishes to submit it. Here's a few things that are a little different, though....1) there's no limit on the words for the article because TMT is not in paper print so we therefore are not limited to number of pages; 2) there's no requirement on the content of the contribution, as long as it is not questionable language or name calling to someone; 3) the contribution needs to be sent in either Word or in an e-mail so that it can be transferred over to the design program and naturally, we need to have graphics if it is a trick submission and a photo or the graphic the contributor wishes to have as the header for their column. THAT'S IT....those are all the requirements.

The first issue was dedicated to Cesareo Pelaez of Le Grand David and has several articles that people are calling interesting and good reading all covered in 17 pages sent out in a .pdf file. The cost of subscription is FREE and anyone is welcome to subscribe by sending an email to me at merlina17@aol.com.

Thank you again for your kind words and as I always end my posts....remember to keep a dream in the making.
Keep a dream in the making for we create our tomorrows by what we dream today.

Maria Ibanez

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 12th, 2009, 7:10 am

As I thought. No money.

opie

Postby opie » November 12th, 2009, 7:36 am

Aw, Mark....Some of us remember when we were honored to have a trick or quip published in Don Lawton's LINES FROM LAWTON, Tops,
and several other small-press publications.

One of my prize possessions is a complete set of AT EASE, the newsletter/magazine of The Armed Forces Magicians Association (AFMA). AFMA was the snail-mail means of communicating with military magicians by any member of any armed service, any country, during the Vietnam thingy. I remember signing up a
Czech Corporel at the FISM convention in Baden Baden, during the 60s, and a later conversation I had with a US Army Intel official...tsk tsk....

The point I am trying to make is that Maria's publication is like the old days, when we just wanted to share this or that with magician friends. I am sure there are old AFMA members here who recall the little tinge of excitement when we received the few pages of tips and ideas about how to travel light and play big.

opie

Merlina

Postby Merlina » November 13th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Greetings, thank you Opie for your words. Yes, this is a publication about magic friends share with magic friends.

I am amazed each day by the growing number of requests for subscription that I am receiving since that first issue went out.

We're on our way with the second one and all contributions are welcome so get them in to me at merlina17@aol.com.

Thank you and all the readers and subscribers for their support.

As always, keep a dream in the making.

Maria Ibanez

opie

Postby opie » November 13th, 2009, 9:27 pm

De nada, Amiga.....opie

mormonyoyoman

Postby mormonyoyoman » November 13th, 2009, 11:00 pm

Opie is talking to obsolete 16-bit computers now. *sigh*

<g>

opie

Postby opie » November 14th, 2009, 7:45 am

Actually, I am talking of a rag that was typed on old manual typewriters, mimeographed and snail mailed to a lot of us who were overseas....We were just military-magician friends who shared.....Mike Rogers had a regular column, and I always
looked forward to his work, some of which probably does not exist
elsewhere....

...PS: I don't know what a 16-bit computer is..... tsk tsk...
But Maria's effort deserves some quips, tips, ideas, etc., if for no other reason than to repay her for her contributions to the magic "family"...

opie

Merlina

Postby Merlina » November 14th, 2009, 9:57 am

Thank you both again for your words. Good or bad, pro or con, I am very open to all input and I would love to receive all "quips, tips, ideas, etc" that anyone is kind and generous enough to send.

And so, the subscriptions continue to come in, I continue to receive comments of gratitude from those who have received the first issue and a request to "go to print" more often. Perhaps we will have to consider every other month instead of just quarterly but that is for 2010 to bring us.

I always refer to us and we because it is "our" publication - that of the magic community and those who enrich it through their contributions....thank you Opie for calling it Maria's, however, I am merely a humble compiler of those great pieces of input that others send in.

This next issue, and at numerous requests, I will have a column in there which is called "Life at the top"...but you will have to wait until the issue comes out to read it.

Until next time, keep a dream in the making

Maria Ibanez

opie

Postby opie » November 14th, 2009, 2:16 pm

Well, we do need for you to post the issues on a web page, so we can read back issues in the future....Perhaps you already have a blog or web where it might be????

Keep on keeping....opie

Merlina

Postby Merlina » November 14th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Yes sir, have thought of that. Once there are several issues we will have to look into a website to have the issues for download.

Thank you to those who submitted articles and effects today for TMT, the second issue is shaping up quite nicely!

Until next time, keep a dream in the making

Maria Ibanez

opie

Postby opie » November 14th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Who you calling "Sir"? tsk tsk....

I expected you to have a plan......opie

Merlina

Postby Merlina » November 15th, 2009, 9:11 am

Sir? Out of respect for you kind sir....although off print you will always be Opie my good friend.

Working on quite a few things such as:

1. A mailing list just for The Magic Touch - currently it is
shared by those who receive the weekly Have you heard? and
perhaps not everyone wants to be on both lists....everyone
will be given a choice
2. Figuring out the next few covers and who those issues will
be dedicated to....suggestions here are welcome also
3. Happily receiving contributions from subscribers who are
coming on board
4. Giving thanks daily for the wonderful support from the magic
community and all the wonderful friends who are so great
5. Much more but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag too
soon....I can promise great surprises in the future

As always, keep a dream in the making,

Maria Ibanez

opie

Postby opie » November 15th, 2009, 11:16 am

Break a nail....and keep on keeping.....opie

Merlina

Postby Merlina » November 16th, 2009, 1:56 pm

What nail?....they are worn down from all the typing :-)

Thanks Opie

Maria Ibanez

Return to “Other Magic Publications”