The New Houdini Chronology (Wild About Harry)

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

The New Houdini Chronology (Wild About Harry)

Postby JohnCox » January 20th, 2018, 11:28 am

Today I'm excited to launch a MAJOR new feature on my Houdini blog that I think will be a valuable tool for researchers.

Most of us are familiar with the superb work of the late Frank Koval. In 1993-94, Frank self-published six volumes called The Illustrated Houdini Research Diary in which he tried to pinpoint exactly where Houdini was performing every week of his professional life.

Like everyone, I've kept Koval by my side and have turned to it many times. But I also continued to update it for my own research purposes. Thanks to new books and the emergence of online resources such as newspapers.com, I've been able to fill in many gaps and make corrections. I've also reworked Koval's original dating methodology, adding Sunday to each week, and added select events. I now believe I have a much improved and expanded Houdini chronology, and starting today I would like to share it.

I've now uploaded the first wave of years of what will eventually be the complete chronology online. I've done my best to provide accurate dates and places (trying to find 2 sources for all entries), but I'm sure I've gotten things wrong. I've therefore activated Comments so anyone can provide updates and corrections or any feedback whatsoever. An advantage of doing this online is that it can be continually improved with each new discovery. This will always be a work in progress.

Below is a link to the homepage where you can begin your chronological journey through Houdini's life. I hope you all enjoy...

THE NEW HOUDINI CHRONOLOGY
http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/p/the-n ... i-chr.html
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: The New Houdini Chronology (Wild About Harry)

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 20th, 2018, 12:05 pm

What a massive project? Do you think you'll ever fill in all the years?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » January 20th, 2018, 12:17 pm

I'll do my best! With more and more old papers coming online it's really not that difficult to follow him from city to city. It's the times he's not touring that offers the challenge.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » January 27th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Latest Additions: 1895, 1906, 1907, A.D.

JohnCox

Postby JohnCox » March 24th, 2018, 2:46 pm

What better than today, Houdini's Birthday, to announce the completion of my New Houdini Chronology.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2018/03 ... plete.html

Return to “Link Watch”