No mention of latest magic act on AGT?

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
TCG

No mention of latest magic act on AGT?

Postby TCG » June 14th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Jack Shalom

Re: No mention of latest magic act on AGT?

Postby Jack Shalom » June 14th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Except for some clumsy matching issues with the balloons, I really enjoyed that. Thanks.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 14th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Two thumbs up for that one! Bravo!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2017, 9:53 pm

A lot of work went into that.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 14th, 2017, 11:27 pm

What do you do for a follow-up?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2017, 11:53 pm

They've already blown the fact that there are two sets of twins. I would have used this act for the finale, and used other illusions where the twins were used secretly for the earlier competitions.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

TCG

Postby TCG » June 15th, 2017, 2:26 am

I have to agree with Mr. Kaufman on this one.
They took what was perhaps their greatest tool and element of surprise and used it in the first round.
That being said, I do look forward to their next performance.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » June 15th, 2017, 3:28 am

They are experienced contestants in the "got talent" world, they know what they are doing and have follow-up acts.

Hiding the fact they are twins and revealing it later is a reductions idea as that final reveal would undo all the magic they had created previously and leave an audience bitter and disheartened.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » June 15th, 2017, 5:42 am

Steve Bryant wrote:What do you do for a follow-up?

Triplets? :o

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 6:35 am

All this reminds me of an off topic question I had a lot of fun with when I was young. Call it a puzzle if you like.

There were two brothers who joined the army. They were both born on the same day on the same month and the same year within a very short time of each other. Minutes in fact. They had the same birthday and looked very similar to each other. But yet they were not twins. Can you explain why?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 15th, 2017, 10:42 am

performer wrote:All this reminds me of an off topic question I had a lot of fun with when I was young. Call it a puzzle if you like.

There were two brothers who joined the army. They were both born on the same day on the same month and the same year within a very short time of each other. Minutes in fact. They had the same birthday and looked very similar to each other. But yet they were not twins. Can you explain why?

Martin Gardner posed this same question (more or less) in his column in Scientific American in Apr, 1963, and reprinted it in The Unexpected Hanging.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 15th, 2017, 11:49 am

The act was entertaining.
Quintuplets with early transgender issues handled and one who runs the lighting?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 11:55 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
performer wrote:All this reminds me of an off topic question I had a lot of fun with when I was young. Call it a puzzle if you like.

Martin Gardner posed this same question (more or less) in his column in Scientific American in Apr, 1963, and reprinted it in The Unexpected Hanging.

It must be even older than that. I first read it when I was a kid at school. And that was way before 1963.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 15th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Were they half-brothers?

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » June 15th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Is it because they were brothers to someone other than each other?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 15th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Tom Moore wrote:... that final reveal would undo all the magic they had created previously and leave an audience bitter and disheartened.

There was a contestant with a cat act - and much fuss after when there turned out to be more than one cat in the named role.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 15th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Tom Moore wrote:... that final reveal would undo all the magic they had created previously and leave an audience bitter and disheartened.

There was a contestant with a cat act - and much fuss after when there turned out to be more than one cat in the named role.

Whoops - that was a dog. Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... trope.html

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 15th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Were they dogs who joined the K9 corps?

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » June 15th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Simple. A married female gay couple, both pregnant with the same donator.

...or, did they maybe also have one brother who was pacifist?

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 15th, 2017, 3:49 pm

They were Marianists, like Brother John Hamman.

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 6:35 pm

erdnasephile wrote:

Were they half-brothers?

Nope

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 6:36 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:

Is it because they were brothers to someone other than each other?

Nope

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 6:37 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:

Were they dogs who joined the K9 corps?

Nope

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Tom Stone wrote:

Dearie me! Certainly not!

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:They were Marianists, like Brother John Hamman.

Nope.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » June 15th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Uhh.. I think the answer was already given by a certain landmark.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » June 15th, 2017, 8:33 pm

performer wrote:
Tom Stone wrote:

Well, both answers fully answer the puzzle as given. But neither gay parents nor triplets are accepted as viable solutions.
So it is not a puzzle to be solved with logic, but more like a guessing game akin to "I think of a number between one and a million, guess which one"?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 15th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:...
Quintuplets with early transgender issues handled and one who runs the lighting?

@Tom, we've names for a few more including octuplets, or less including triplets.

Sextuplets taking turns doing the act? :)

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » June 15th, 2017, 9:58 pm

One or both were adopted?

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 10:36 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:Uhh.. I think the answer was already given by a certain landmark.

That is perhaps what made me think of it. However, I was hoping people wouldn't notice. And they haven't. And didn't. May I remind you of the old adage "silence is golden". I rather think you should emulate Mr Mullins in this matter who knows the secret but ain't telling.

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 10:36 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:One or both were adopted?

Nope. I should have mentioned that they had the same mother and same father. I knew I missed something out.

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Tom Stone wrote:
performer wrote:
Tom Stone wrote:Simple. A married female gay couple, both pregnant with the same donator.

Well, both answers fully answer the puzzle as given. But neither gay parents nor triplets are accepted as viable solutions.
So it is not a puzzle to be solved with logic, but more like a guessing game akin to "I think of a number between one and a million, guess which one"?

Nope on two counts. You have made two incorrect statements. It seems that Swedes are not as clever as I first thought.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 15th, 2017, 10:49 pm

It would seem that if the two brothers belonged to a set of triplets, that would be at least a correct (if not the correct) solution to the puzzle.

performer

Postby performer » June 15th, 2017, 11:49 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:It would seem that if the two brothers belonged to a set of triplets, that would be at least a correct (if not the correct) solution to the puzzle.

Correct!

BillMorrison

Postby BillMorrison » June 16th, 2017, 2:38 am

Tom Stone wrote:Well, both answers fully answer the puzzle as given. But neither gay parents nor triplets are accepted as viable solutions.

performer

Postby performer » June 16th, 2017, 5:32 am

I must say that I am really a master of getting things off topic.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » June 16th, 2017, 6:44 am

BillMorrison wrote:
Tom Stone wrote:Well, both answers fully answer the puzzle as given. But neither gay parents nor triplets are accepted as viable solutions.

Off by one.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 16th, 2017, 7:59 am

performer wrote:I should have mentioned that they had the same mother and same father. I knew I missed something out.

That's a bit wonky, Sir! ;) Half-brothers is a viable answer under the initially proposed puzzle as well.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 16th, 2017, 8:15 am

Jack Shalom wrote:Uhh.. I think the answer was already given by a certain landmark.

multiple births -

how many do you know about (for sure...) ?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 16th, 2017, 8:42 am

Steve Bryant wrote:What do you do for a follow-up?

Good point. Running out of "A" material before the finale afflicts many of the magicians on these contest shows.

On a somewhat related note: although I really enjoy watching some of the great performances on television, I can't help but wonder if the increased magic presence of late is an overall positive for the layperson's perception of magic.

That is, it seems that the abundance of shows has allowed more mediocre performances than ever to be broadcast. Do these subpar acts just serve to confirm the bias on the part of the public that magicians are all the same "Meh" bunch? Or does the current abundance work for good, in that the public will begin to realize that like other artists, magicians vary widely in quality. Would the public then begin to not take every poor in-person magician as representative of the whole? Then again, can bad magic ever be for "good"?

Return to “Link Watch”