Derek DelGaudio to produce new Disney movie

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Steve Hook

Derek DelGaudio to produce new Disney movie

Postby Steve Hook » April 2nd, 2014, 11:46 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-enlists-top-illusionist-produce-691759

[The] plot is being kept hidden up the studio’s sleeve. It is known, however, to tackle the history of magic’s last 100 years as seen through the eyes of one magician.

[Thanks to Brent Braun for the link]

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Derek DelGaudio to produce new Disney movie

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 3rd, 2014, 11:36 am

He is not "the" producer, but one of many. Since he's never produced any films before, it's puzzling why he's been named a producer rather than the magic consultant.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » April 3rd, 2014, 12:11 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:He is not "the" producer, but one of many. Since he's never produced any films before, it's puzzling why he's been named a producer rather than the magic consultant.

Apparently the idea for the movie was his, or in their words, he "incubated the project." How much actual "producing" he does remains to be seen, but maybe he is forging ahead in that direction.

Sometimes the title of "producer" or more often "associate producer" is handed out to stroke egos. Ever watch State and Main?

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 3rd, 2014, 1:04 pm

Congratulations to Derek. Had a chance to sit down and have a bit of a chat with him a few years back and I'd opine that his passion/creativity will likely help produce something very interesting here.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 3rd, 2014, 1:15 pm

Usually selling a story idea for a film generates a credit "Original Story by XXX," and that person is not a producer.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » April 3rd, 2014, 2:15 pm

100 Years? That has to be the Professor.

I once read an interview with director Steven Soderbergh. He mentioned a film idea about following the central character around during the span of a century. And what struck me about this was what he said in conjunction with this. The style of the cinematography would transition and change along with the character.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » April 3rd, 2014, 2:50 pm

In film, theatre & TV the title "producer" attracts a certain cache and prestige and as a result the title has become a contract negotiation tool rather than an actual description of the job done. Hardly a Broadway show opens these days without a dozen people listed as "producers" when actually 11 of them did nothing more than raise a significant chunk of the funding for the show and actually had zero creative input in to creating of the show. Likewise in TV the stars of any hit show quickly end up being credited as "executive producer" when in reality they do nothing more than sit in on an occasional planning meeting. In both cases the actual creative/production team have given away the title of "producer" instead of having to do something else which costs money like increasing their paycheck/profit percentage given to the person now credited as "producer".

At least once a month I get an offer/request to work on a show for terrible money but "you'll get a credit as producer" because of the incredible value that is now attached to the title of producer. For the record i always decline as my bank don't accept a resume full of production credits as payment on my mortgage.

If you were Derek's agent, you couldn't get any more money from disney but could choose between the credit "from an original story by" or "producer" which are you going to demand for your client?

In just the same way as if someone says "i'm a TV presenter" you shouldn't be that impressed (because there's so many channels & even self produced shows that frankly anyone could become one in 24hrs) likewise if you ever meet someone who introduces themselves as "a producer" you can ignore 90% of what they say because these days it's highly unlikely that anyone with that title is actually doing the job it implies and is much more likely to be a funder or consultant with a good agent.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 3rd, 2014, 4:10 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote: Since he's never produced any films before, it's puzzling why he's been named a producer

Maybe it was because he is producing it?

I think people are allowed to produce things for a first time. Otherwise, there would be no producers :)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 3rd, 2014, 5:55 pm

I don't think one's first producing credit would generally be a major film for the Walt Disney Company.

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » April 3rd, 2014, 6:35 pm

Richard, the post by Tom Moore is pretty much spot on. I asked one of my Hollywood contacts this morning if he had any specifics on this deal. He did not, but he made the same general comments as did Mr. Moore. Producer credits are frequently negotiated whether or not the person involved is actually doing any "producing."

There is always the chance that Derek is actually acting as producer, but it would be not be a surprise if he is a producer in name only. The insider info to which I have access online simply lists him as one of two producers. The project is not based on a spec screenplay but is an assignment to Mr. Bunin.

Derek DelGaudio

Postby Derek DelGaudio » April 3rd, 2014, 7:21 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I don't think one's first producing credit would generally be a major film for the Walt Disney Company.

... You would think so, wouldn't you, Richard?

As preposterous as it may be, I am producing a feature film. I am also receiving a "Story By" credit for the original story I pitched (and sold) to the studio. As it stands, the only other producer attached to the film is Justin Springer. Keith Bunin is the writer I hand-picked to help me tell this story, which we are now developing together.

Crazy world we live in, huh?

Bill Marquardt

Postby Bill Marquardt » April 3rd, 2014, 7:33 pm

Congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » April 3rd, 2014, 7:43 pm

This bodes well for magic. Yay!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 3rd, 2014, 8:17 pm

Derek DelGaudio wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:I don't think one's first producing credit would generally be a major film for the Walt Disney Company.

... You would think so, wouldn't you, Richard?

That's a pretty weird thing to say.

R.E.Byrnes

Postby R.E.Byrnes » April 6th, 2014, 10:49 am

He's not the sort of person to just take a title/credit and leave it at that; I suspect he will substantially influence the movie and that the influence will be original and notable.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 6th, 2014, 12:36 pm

What's more likely is that the movie, like 99% of the movies in development, never gets made.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » April 6th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:What's more likely is that the movie, like 99% of the movies in development, never gets made.

Always the optimist! :-)

I have no insights in the movie business, but I think this is cool as hell. Maybe it's getting made, maybe not... regardless, it is not a bad merit, and it is bound to lead to other cool projects. So, from this end, it is all congratulations and best wishes!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 6th, 2014, 1:14 pm

"Realist" is more like it.

Where is Del Toro's movie based on "The Haunted Mansion"?

Where is the movie based on the Jungle Cruise ride announced years ago?

Where is the Jon Favereu's movie "Magic Kingdom" announced to much fanfare years ago?

Until the cameras actually start rolling, the chance of getting a movie in developement made are about 5%.

The only reason a theatrical movie gets made these days is if a big star or big director gets attached and stays with the project while the script is rewritten 20 times by 20 different people to their satisfaction. Then it has a chance. Assuming they can agree on a budget.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » April 6th, 2014, 6:39 pm

A lot of magic books in development also never see publication.

But we can still be supportive of projects we would like to see completed.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » April 7th, 2014, 1:55 am

Dammit, Richard. Why do you force me to take an optimistic stance?

Derek has already accomplished something worth celebrating. And, whether it gets done, and whether it's good, are not based on probability statistics. The results have much more to do with the source of the ideas. My money is on Del Gaudio.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 7th, 2014, 4:37 am

My optimistic side is with Max and Tom Stone.

My less optimistic side is with Richard.

A few weeks ago I did close-up at a party to raise funds for a low-budget short movie. If you were to put up £3,000 you would get this:

EXECUTIVE VIP! For your solid support you will become an Executive Producer and be credited on the movie as well as IMDB. You will also receive X2 premier tickets, a signed DVD and BLU RAY. You will also be invited to join us in set form for the full day and have your lunch with the cast, plus endless selfies. Not forgetting your letter of thanks

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 7th, 2014, 10:38 am

Derek earned a swing in the big game. The big game has rules and players that make it hard to connect, let alone hit a slam dunk.

Derek is in an unenviable position, to be so young and find himself with this opportunity - an opportunity far more 'real' than what many magicians can dream of (a cheaply produced reality show with an unknown company on a little watched cable station). There will be many people rooting for his failure, for many reasons. Should the process go forward as it normally does - resulting in nothing (what about that big Tom cruise magic movie?!? mandrake is where?!?) - there will be many who will in their own mind happily use that to satisfy their superiority. That, I think, would be most unfortunate. The lesson perhaps valuable here is that an intelligent approach to magic, designed to appeal to thinking and feeling adults, opens much bigger doors than playing a David Blaine wannabe or a sociopathic practical joker.

Personally: Derek got through the door - a big door. What happens from here will be under his influence but largely out of his control. (Based on what we know of that industry).

I have no doubt that Derek will learn from the experience no matter what happens. I'm personally less interested in what happens with this project than I am the next one, and the one after that

I say that for two reasons: 1) Derek can be critical. That trait is required for improvement. Unlike many who have had doors open and maintain mediocrity, Derek has demonstrated the ability to be unsatisfied and take steps to improve or eleminate that dissatisfaction. 2) Most magicians we see on TV seem to have a single goal - to see themselves on TV. Derek cares about magic and how it is perceived. It is my greatest hope that he never loses that. I believe that if a project came out which did not represent magic well, he would make sure to never let that happen again.

So, I'm interested. Regardless of what happens with this one, I think Derek is one of the few young magicians who has the capacity to build on the experience and eventually move the ball over the goal line

R.E.Byrnes

Postby R.E.Byrnes » April 16th, 2014, 1:39 am

I suspect Derek intended to convey "You would think so. . . " as opposed to "You would think so. . ." Different emphasis; two entirely different connotations.

Return to “Link Watch”