Article in the Post

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
James Munton

Article in the Post

Postby James Munton » July 17th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Just read this article in the Washington Post.

Congratulations to all mentioned, although the standard of writing in the Post has really gone to the dogs since I lived in the area.

Interesting to see that Richard Kaufman is "surprisingly, one of the big local supporters of phone magic."

Although then he goes on to say it is "patently stupid," so now I am not so sure what he thinks.

Which is it, Richard?
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Article in the Post

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 17th, 2011, 10:45 pm

Thanks for posting the link James, but you misread my comments. My negative comment is directed at doing Matrix on a smartphone, not smartphone tricks in general.

Unfortunately, it's often the case when you speak to a reporter for an hour (and he takes notes, but doesn't record the conversation), that the few comments which are actually quoted sometimes appear differently than when you actually stated them.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » July 18th, 2011, 11:11 am

I particularly enjoyed the part where the performer's patter is summarized as "blah blah blah." Ouch.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 18th, 2011, 11:48 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Thanks for posting the link James, but you misread my comments. My negative comment is directed at doing Matrix on a smartphone, not smartphone tricks in general.

Although, there is something inherent about doing tricks using a computer. Your audience, unless really stupid, will probably conclude the method used is "something to do with the fact it is being done using a computer".

I moved recently and did find the "field test" instructions for the late and missed Alex Elmsley's "Mouse Magic" which predates all these iPhone tricks by some time!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 18th, 2011, 11:55 am

I explained all about Mouse Magic to the reporter, and about how it had been bought by Tenyo and turned into that amazing software for the Nintendo DS Lite. He didn't put any of that in. In fact, my comments about the coin assembly followed an example of a good app from Tenyo, Magic Shuffle.

But, Damian, even though you probably disagree, I have seen (my own eyeballs!) people be amazed by coins appearing and disappearing from under the cards on (in my case) an iPad screen. It makes no sense, but it definitely has an effect on at least some people.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 18th, 2011, 12:09 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:But, Damian, even though you probably disagree, I have seen (my own eyeballs!) people be amazed by coins appearing and disappearing from under the cards on (in my case) an iPad screen. It makes no sense, but it definitely has an effect on at least some people.

Oh I totally agree/believe that some people would be amazed by that. People are amazed by d'lites and that worm on a thread too.

However, I imagine *most* rational and smart people would conclude that the computer in your hand was somehow involved, thus lessening the magic.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » July 18th, 2011, 12:46 pm

the washington post has now adopted "go" as a synonym for "say"? i'm, like, surprised.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » July 18th, 2011, 1:15 pm

It's emblematic of the progressive decline of what was one of the world's great newspapers.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » July 18th, 2011, 1:17 pm

"Kaufman, 53"

really? seems as if he should be be pushing 70, having been part of the magic establishment as long as i can remember. i just assumed he'd be roughly a contemporary of, e.g., derek dingle. so we've got several more decades of great books, innovative illustrations, the field's best magazine, etc. that's the best news from the article.

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » July 18th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Richard was 20 and in college when he created the first year of Apocalypse with Harry.

(he just seems like a cranky old man at times) :)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 18th, 2011, 1:26 pm

No--I started very young. My first books were published in 1977 at age 19, but I had been writing and drawing for 5 years prior to that, learning my trade. I started learning from Gene Maze, Harry Lorayne, and Derek Dingle at age 14 after having done card magic for two years.

Yes, now 53. I've got about another 25 years as editor of Genii, and during that time I expect to write about a half dozen more books.

By the end of my term as editor and publisher I expect that Genii will be transmitted directly into your brain and read inside your eyelids!

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » July 18th, 2011, 1:33 pm

"I expect that Genii will be transmitted directly into your brain and read inside your eyelids!"

That's how I get it now. hmm...

Return to “Link Watch”