The Demystifying Adventures of the Amazing Randi

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
raj k

The Demystifying Adventures of the Amazing Randi

Postby raj k » August 27th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, but here's a great write up in the recent SF Weekly on James Randi cover story.

Link to James Randi

DrDanny

Re: The Demystifying Adventures of the Amazing Randi

Postby DrDanny » August 27th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Thank you for that link. Randi is a personal hero to many of us, and I'd not heard he was ill. If I was the praying type, I would do that, but I'm not. My thoughts and good vibes will have to suffice.

Seuss

Postby Seuss » August 27th, 2009, 3:05 pm

great read. especially...

Randi jokes that after he passes, his fans need not bother with grandiose gestures like establishing a museum of magic or burying him in an elaborate tomb. He has something more Amazing in mind. "I want to be cremated," he says with his signature dry, knowing charm. "And I want my ashes blown in Uri Geller's eyes."
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 27th, 2009, 5:26 pm

I got a nasty letter from Randi after putting Geller on the cover of Genii last year.
Last edited by Richard Kaufman on August 27th, 2009, 6:04 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Edited to remove ambiguity
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » August 27th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Raj, thanks for the link to the cool article. Randi is definitely one of my heroes. I hope that he beats the cancer and is with us for many years to come.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 27th, 2009, 7:45 pm

That was a nicely done piece on Mr. Randi; I enjoyed it quite a bit. Mr. Randi has always been nothing but kind and cooperative in my many requests for information (fact checking, etc.). Years ago, when I was in my teens, he personally taught me how to bend a key (although it did lead to me losing a would-be girl friend; she thought I was the devil after performing for herbut thats not Randis fault).

I am befuddled, however, by the folks who complained about Geller being on the cover of Genii. What is wrong with putting controversial people on the cover of a magazine? News magazines do it all the time. That doesnt, in any way, mean that the publisher, the editor, or the writing staff endorses that person. That Geller was given an award from a magicianand accepted itwas news in the magic community. It deserved an article and a cover.

Dustin

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » September 1st, 2009, 9:09 am

Back in May at the Salute to Magic in NYC, he was quite spry and entertaining. Even performed his old rope tie escape. Hope he pulls through.

Return to “Link Watch”