Magic Video Site

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Elliot Gorton

Magic Video Site

Postby Elliot Gorton » May 29th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Check out Abratube!
www.abratube.com
www.savetheinternet.com
www.myspace.com/elliotgorton
http://twitter.com/elliotmagic

mrgoat

Re: Magic Video Site

Postby mrgoat » May 30th, 2008, 7:02 am

And check out Viacom's billion dollar lawsuit against youtube too.

Although abratube has merits, embedding stolen copywritten videos into a website is a dangerous game to play in the current climate.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » May 30th, 2008, 10:34 am

Nonsense, Mr. Goat! I am sure Mr. Munton knows exactly what he is doing. The abratube site is a brilliant idea. I notice you live in England, so your current climate may be very different to ours. Probabably rain! This is possibly why both James Munton and myself are ex pats! JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

James Munton

Postby James Munton » May 30th, 2008, 10:39 am

Not really, Mr. Goat.

YouTube isn't going anywhere. AbraTube simply links to videos hosted on YouTube (which is supported and encouraged by YouTube) and other video sharing sites.

It is a fantastic resource for magicians and will only get better as more people post their favorite videos.

Since you list your occupation in your profile as "ninja" I'll assume you are not a lawyer and therefore have no idea what you are talking about.

There was an extensive discussion about this on the MagicBunny.co.uk forum if you are interested. The fellow who tried to derail the thread in the same way you are doing was reduced to a laughing stock.

For everyone else, I hope you enjoy browsing the amazing videos on www.abratube.com and share some of your own.
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

petekoloz

Postby petekoloz » May 30th, 2008, 10:41 am

Perfectly legal as long as the YouTube logo isn't removed.
Here is another example: http://www.hulu.com/ .
Totally legit.
If I had to live my life over, I'd live over a saloon. ( W. C. Fields)

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 30th, 2008, 11:01 am

Hulu is VERY different from YouTube. Hulu is a joint venture of NBC Universal and News Corp. The shows you can view there are owned by folks running the site. YouTube, on the other hand, relies on user-uploaded content, and is rife with copyright violations (hence the Viacom lawsuit).

AbraTube, however, as far as I can tell, is not doing anything illegal. Any videos there are linked from YouTube (which the folks at YouTube have no problem with), so any copyright issues would fall into YouTube's lap.

However, I am not a lawyer, so my interpretation of the law may not be 100% correct.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 30th, 2008, 11:07 am

On another note, I thought this video from Marco Tempest was quite brilliant: PhoneCam Magic #8 - Proximity

I figured out what he was doing the second time around, but it's very well done.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 30th, 2008, 11:14 am

The link did not work for me. I had to go here
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 30th, 2008, 11:36 am

Ah...that's weird. I had viewed the Steve Fearson video first, and then clicked the link to go to the Marco Tempest one. Looks like it just opened the video within the same page.

Thanks, Joe!

-Jim

petekoloz

Postby petekoloz » May 30th, 2008, 11:53 am

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » May 30th, 2008, 1:29 pm

I don't know about the legality, but what about the morality of posting clips of magicians without their permission?

I guess I'm in the clear, since I dont suppose James has my performances high on his list, but is he really, as it seems, posting material without getting the OK of the magicians first?

James Munton

Postby James Munton » May 30th, 2008, 1:46 pm

The clips are already on YouTube. If a magician doesn't want their clip on YouTube there is a very straightforward process for contacting YouTube and getting them removed.

Most magicians are very happy to have their clips seen by others - Paul Gordon recently posted some excellent videos of his own work.

I want to make clear that the AbraTube.com website does not host the videos. It is a way to filter out all the crappy YouTube videos that come up when you do a search.

The idea is that people post their favorite YouTube videos so we build a searchable archive of all the best videos.

Let's say you are working on a Cups and Balls routine. You will be able to go to abratube and easily have access to all the very best routines that are already posted on the Web.

The genesis of the site was that I became frustrated trying to find good videos on YouTube because I had to wade through hundreds of awful videos of kids in their bedrooms butchering the classics.

For example, I don't want to watch a 14 year-old doing Roth's Coins across. I want to watch Roth doing it.

If you check out the site, I think it will be clearer what I am trying to do.

There is nothing immoral or illegal about it. I think it is actually a rather fantastic resource which will continue to get better as more people post videos.
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » May 30th, 2008, 1:51 pm

James Munton wrote:
There was an extensive discussion about this on the MagicBunny.co.uk forum if you are interested. The fellow who tried to derail the thread in the same way you are doing was reduced to a laughing stock.

Curious; I've just checked out magicbunny; I can't see anybody being reduced to a laughing stock; I saw a sensible discussion about the legality of posting or embedding copyrighted material, to which Mr Mundell responded by calling "Captain Seaside" "Captain Fartypants".

i repeat, I have no idea about the legality of these things, but it does seem an odd way for Mr Mundell to respond.

I wonder if he'll start calling mrgoat "mrfartypants"? That would reduce mrgoat to a laughing stock here, I guess.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 30th, 2008, 1:54 pm

It's a good concept, but an AWFUL name. "Abratube?" You really need to change it before your site becomes too popular and you're stuck with it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 30th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:It's a good concept, but an AWFUL name. "Abratube?"
Er... "Magipedia"?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 30th, 2008, 2:00 pm

"MagicPedia" is identical in construction to its inspiration "WikiPedia" and sounds good--you instantly know it's an encyclopedia of magic.

"Abratube," sounds like a new kind of toothpaste. One of its problems is that YouTube is two syllables- you and tube. Abratube is three syllables and sounds wrong.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 30th, 2008, 2:13 pm

No offense intended Richard, but they both sound equally silly to me.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » May 30th, 2008, 2:23 pm

It's a VERY GOOD site. Well done James!

My ONLY niggle is that I get a (red circle white cross 'run time') error when I try to load certain pages...????

Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

James Munton

Postby James Munton » May 30th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Richard,

I think the name is rather good - it's easy to remember and obviously plays on the YouTube theme. It is not really a Wiki site.

Plus, the other 38 ideas I had for a domain name were already taken!!! Magicpedia.com and magipedia.com are both taken, for example.

Try finding a new domain name for anything these days - all the good ones are taken.

Best,
James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

James Munton

Postby James Munton » May 30th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Paul,

Which pages?

James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » May 30th, 2008, 5:09 pm

James..........I have noticed one of my videos is up there. Thank you for thinking it worthy of inclusion! JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

petekoloz

Postby petekoloz » May 30th, 2008, 9:50 pm

El Mystico wrote:I don't know about the legality, but what about the morality of posting clips of magicians without their permission?

I guess I'm in the clear, since I dont suppose James has my performances high on his list, but is he really, as it seems, posting material without getting the OK of the magicians first?

I don't think James would pull a stunt like that.
I think,for instance,if I saw a video of my show
or part of it on his site and I objected...he'd
pull it if I asked him to.Regardless of whether
it was still on youtube or not.Just my opinion,
but I think he would.
PK

James Munton

Postby James Munton » May 31st, 2008, 12:32 pm

Gosh! I thought that went without saying.

If you look at the bottom of each video there is a "Report" flag. If one of your videos has been posted and you want it removed, just hit the flag, enter a comment and I'll take it down IMMEDIATELY.

However, the video will still be available on YouTube. I have no control over that. But as I said earlier, there is a similar reporting method available on YouTube.

Best,
James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Return to “Link Watch”