Catching up with Milo and Roger

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Catching up with Milo and Roger

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 30th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Greetings All:

At this years Conference on Magic History I gave a talk on my search for memorabilia on Milo and Roger. As those who saw it can attest (though I hope that they keep the details to themselves!), that the journey was wrought with surprises and coincidences; so many that it led to me writingand self-publishingmy first book. Well, its a monograph really. But, besides the story and a chronology of their lives, its 65 pages are loaded with picturesmany in full colorthat have not seen the light of day for a very long time, as well as some that have never seen the light of day.

And you too can have this tome of wonder by clicking on THIS LINK where you will find my Milo and Roger website: Another first for me (and yes, I did it all by my onesies).

Im also selling some duplicate ephemera that I acquired (though quantities on those are limited). So please have a look! And whether or not you buy, let me know what you think (And please be kind: Im feeling quite fragile right now)!

Thanks!
Dustin

Dave Andrews

Re: Catching up with Milo and Roger

Postby Dave Andrews » December 1st, 2007, 9:25 pm

Dustin, my wife and I travelled over to Bratislava to attend a magic convention at the end of September. In the competition, coming nowhere, was the Milo and Roger act.
I have seen the clip of Milo and Roger performing 'the' act but the performance I saw in Bratislava was, unfortunately, nowhere near as good. A real shame.

Dave

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 2nd, 2007, 12:12 am

Hi Dave,

You saw Adi and Philip Becker, a father and son team who purchased the original equipment, costumes, and the performing rights from Ted Lesley (Mr. Lesley was given the equipment and rights by Milo).

I have seen their act on video and I agree with your assessment. As I mention in my book (in a footnote), having the name and the tricks does not make you Milo and Roger. Its unfortunate because, I believe, they are doing a major disservice to Milo and Roger: Anyone who sees the act and has never seen Milo and Roger might think that this incarnation is a true representative of the originals.

Dustin

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 2nd, 2007, 4:13 am

Congratulations on the monograph and talk, Dustin.

Milo and Roger had a great effect on me when I was a kid. I saw them on, I think, the Ed Sullivan show and they looked like real, although somewhat off-kilter, magicians. The image they instilled in me as a child remains.

Arthur Brandon's book is one of the best magic stories I've ever read.

I've found a couple of clips of their act on YouTube, but not very much.

Matt Field

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 3rd, 2007, 11:15 am

Thanks Matt!

I have not been able to find any evidence of M&R being on Sullivan. You likely saw one or both of their appearances on Hollywood Palace (both in 1967). (And there was a third, but it was a retrospective show with a clip of one of their two appearances.)

They were also on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, but the date is unknown because it was during the period that NBC was reusing videotape (a bunch of Johnny's shows were lost to history because of some idiot who decided to tape over shows). Milo talks about the appearance on one of the audiotapes I have, but he didn't mention the date. He didn't talk about Sullivan at all.

They were also on the ABC Comedy Hour once (March of 1972).

Dustin

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2007, 10:27 pm

M&R appeared on Carson after their PCAM-Oakland appearance...they did Temple of Benares and "vanished" a broken egg in a bottomless glass, in Carson's hand.

The above posts bring to mind Harry Anderson saying, "Those who think they can do magic by buying props, is like thinking if you can buy scenery and costumes, you can do "Othello".

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2007, 9:24 am

M&R were on "Hollywood Palace" Jan 14 1967, Apr 8 1967, May 24 1969, TV version of "Hellzapoppin" Mar 1 1972

The were part of "It's Magic" Nov 1 and 2, 1963, also 1967.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 4th, 2007, 1:13 pm

Bill,

M&R didn't appear on the 1/14/67 episode. Their first was 2/25/67 (show #112, season 4). The second was indeed 4/8/67 (show #117, season 4). I triple checked all this through multiple sources for the book's chronology. (Your post made my heart skip a beat--so I checked again!)

The "Hellzapopin" show was the ABC Comedy Hour episode I noted above.

Dustin

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 4th, 2007, 2:20 pm

All this unearthed an error in my book. I have a typo in the Chronology. The April appearance, which was on the 8th, is listed as the 18th in the book. Rrrrrrr!!! :mad:

I'm going to have to add an "Errata" page to the website.

Dustin

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2007, 2:26 pm

The Waterloo Iowa Daily Courier TV listings for 1/14/1967 (in the Jan 8 newspaper) show them appearing that day. Host is Bing Crosby, other guests are Sen. Everett Dirksen, Jimmy Durante, Edie Adams, and Tim Conway.

This show was in the listings for 1/13/1967 in Edwardsville, IL.

I've run across situations where TV shows (syndicated ones, especially) don't always appear on the same day in different markets. Maybe tapes/films were sent out earlier to some places than others. 1/14/67 seemed to be the most common air date for this episode.

It may be that they were originally scheduled to appear this day, and TV listings were sent out assuming that. But perhaps they cancelled, and were rescheduled for 2/25.

The 2/25 episode was hosted by Van Johnson, and also had Lisa (sic) Minelli, Mickey Rooney, Chris Noel, The Beatles, George Carlin, and the Palace Duo.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 4th, 2007, 2:43 pm

I dont doubt that you do. So I would say that they were scheduled, but didn't appear is the most likely scenario. They definitely appeared on the show with Van Johnson.

I use the same Newspaper source as you (since it was you who turned me on to it, which is why you appear in the acknowledgments of the book) and used it as one of my sources. However, multiple sourcesnot to mention the video in my collectionverify the 2/25 date.

The video I have of the second appearance has the original date the show was taped. I don't have access to it right now, or I'd see how far in advance they shot. Perhaps I will check later.

Dustin

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 5th, 2007, 3:48 pm

I have added the "Errata" page to the website. There are already three corrections listed. :rolleyes:

Thanks!
Dustin

http://www.miloandroger.com/

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2007, 3:02 pm

An unbiased opinion -- if you liked "A Magical Life," I think that you will really enjoy "Catching Up ."

I have loaned, under penalty of death, my copy of the original book to a number of non-magician friends, all of whom found it one of the most entertaining reads they have come across. I'll probably have to buy another copy of "Catching Up" to make certain that I keep my copy and don't lose it to those same folks. The path to, and the story of, the story are great.

Thanks Dustin -- I almost hate to let people know how great this book is. It's one of those treasures that make me want to be selfish!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 11th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Hi Pix,

Thanks for the kind words and the endorsement; I truly appreciate it.

As for a second copy, I bet I can get you a good deal: I know the publisher! ;)

Dustin

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before, but here's a great video clip of Milo & Roger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlLZ3dbf5k4

Chris

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 14th, 2008, 11:01 am

While I cannot see it because of Internet restrictions here in my office, I suspect that its their appearance on the BBC show, Best of Magic (a video I would love to get, other than the FLV version I already have). Thanks, Chris, for sharing it here and keeping my little effort in the daily mix (nudge-nudge, wink-wink). :)

Dustin

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » February 15th, 2008, 7:29 pm

Well, I missed Dustin's updated lecture at LA as I arrived too late because of plane flights.

I just finished reading the book and had a ball. I know the hometown of Milo (Arthur) pretty well. It was great reading about the local references that I know so well.

It was a great read about the true hard knocks of show business.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

gallagher
Favorite Magician: Nate Leipzig

Postby gallagher » July 8th, 2016, 2:36 pm

http://support.bobmizerfoundation.org/f ... ful_career

,....there's actually still a lot to un-cover out here.
gallagher

gallagher
Favorite Magician: Nate Leipzig

Postby gallagher » July 8th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Here's an interesting one, as well(!).
,...kinda throws some questions into the soup!

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetai ... IGINAL-ART

smiles,
gallagher

Return to “Link Watch”