Learn to Juggle: Get More Brains

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Learn to Juggle: Get More Brains

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 22nd, 2004, 2:03 pm

Heres a quirky little factoid I found on CNN. (I guess its time for me to work on four and five balls.)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/01/22/of ... index.html

Re: Learn to Juggle: Get More Brains

Postby Guest » January 22nd, 2004, 2:28 pm

Dustin, you of all people know of my life long struggle to juggle and my....failures. Now I find that my brain isn't gray enough. Thanks a lot.
Steve V

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 22nd, 2004, 5:03 pm

Steve, haul your rear down here and I will have you juggling (thus growing gray matter) in no time. If I can juggle, anyone can.

Dustin

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » January 22nd, 2004, 5:20 pm

There is an esoteric book out there titled THE MATHEMATICS OF JUGGLING. It's worth checking out.

Postby Guest » January 23rd, 2004, 9:45 am

Dustin....I promise when I get to the Southland again I will take you up on that challenge. I find juggling one ball a problem...air juggling defeats me....
Steve V

Alain Roy

Postby Alain Roy » January 24th, 2004, 6:58 am

I've offered to teach Steve V how to juggle on more than one occasion, but he has never taken me up on it. Hmph.

I don't know if learning to juggle increased grey matter in my brain, or if that grey matter mattered to anything other than my juggling ability. But I know that juggling deeply changed my perception of myself.

Before I learned to juggle, I thought that I couldn't juggle. I really believed it. I've always been bad at sports, particularly ones involving catching balls. A misspent childhood, reading too many books, I guess. I had tried to learn to juggle, and had failed.

In college, a friend taught me how to juggle. Actually, we taught each other: I taught him how to program computers, and he taught me how dexterity, and in the process, I learned how to juggle.

It was a struggle--I took longer than most people to learn how to juggle. But the elation I felt when I learned! More importantly, I had a huge realization: what other things do I think I can't do, but I really can do them, if I just put in the time and effort? This realization has changed me.

In addition, I met my wife in the juggling club. Extra bonus!

-alain

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2004, 8:07 am

Originally posted by Alain Roy:
In addition, I met my wife in the juggling club. Extra bonus!
Your words? Or hers?

Dave (who has tried, on countless ioccasions, to learn how to juggle, but to no avail)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 24th, 2004, 11:58 am

I've lost track of the numbers of people I've taught to juggle over the years, although I'm sure it's not quite into four figures yet.

After all the workshops and managing a juggling shop for a while one thing did stand out; of the people who really wanted to learn (that is people who asked me, instead of me offering) _very_ few couldn't do it.

There are some who have a self fulfilling prophecy that they cannot juggle - and if they continue to believe that, they will be right (to quote someone; if you believe you can do something, or you believe that you cannot do something, you are right).

I firmly believe that it is a matter of teaching methods. Giving someone three balls and saying 'throw these' will never work. On the same basis, trying to move forward before you have the core skills will prove frustrating.

If you don't want to learn, nothing I say will change your mind. But you'll be missing out :)

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2004, 9:32 am

Note that all the helpful people are outside of the Bay Area.... I need to learn to juggle to be self fulfilled.
Steve V

Postby Guest » January 26th, 2004, 4:27 pm

Try juggling with silks. Everything happens in slow motion and you can get your mind around how the 3 objects are supposed to be moving through the air.

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2004, 12:00 pm

Thank you, I'll try that...actually sounds like a good idea.
Steve V

Return to “Link Watch”