Harry Anderson on TV

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

Harry Anderson on TV

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2006, 7:48 am

Bill Maher interviews Harry Anderson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2A-rSWIOmk

Re: Harry Anderson on TV

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2006, 9:05 am

If you're at work, beware of the F-bomb.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 6th, 2006, 9:46 am

Yah, sadly, to me, Harry looks like he's gained a lot of weight.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Yah, sadly, to me, Harry looks like he's gained a lot of weight.
People get older and sometimes fatter. Why is that "sad"?

He made some pretty cogent points and all you comment on is his weight? :whack:

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 6th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Chris, thats because Pete knows that theres not much more he can comment on here! (In other words, lets not comment on Harrys cogent points please; thanks.)

The last time I saw Harry in person (about a year ago) he just looked like he had a little middle-age spread going.

I wonder, since he was on TV on the TV, does that mean he had 20 extra pounds added? (Imagine if it was exponential!)

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2006, 4:54 pm

It struck me as a pretty rude thing for Pete to stress Harry's weight in that manner. But perhaps it's just me? :confused:

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Yes, he is heavier, but you have to realise that for many years now Harry has been living the sweet life. No 9 to 5 grind for him. He has been doing what he wants and probably loving every minute of it.
Lord knows if I ever had that chance I probably would put on a hell of a lot more weight than he has.

Gord

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2006, 7:43 pm

As one gets older one is inclined to gain visible weight. Unless Harry has discovered some REAL magic, he's going to get older just like the rest of us.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 7th, 2006, 7:48 am

I don't live the "sweet" life and work about 12 hours a day. That hasn't kept me from gaining about 50 pounds.
It's just middle age. You eat ... you get fat.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 8:45 am

I spent a lot of time with Harry Anderson during his five years here. Hey, guys, this is New Orleans, which despite the storm ravages, is one of the centers of Eating-the-Good-Stuff. Harry hit middle age (50), which he sez: "I'd feel a lot better about this if I knew more people that were 100!" He also often says that he is mistaken a lot for Ed Begley Jr. (not Sr.). That being said, to the contrary, Harry is not a lay-back-kinda-guy. He is very active, almost hyper-kinetic.

BTW, he did the REAL TIME interview from a room at the Club, stacked with 832 boxes of Stuff (hence, the Charles Foster Kane quip). Also, Harry has been growing a beard...

Rest assured that Harry still loves New Orleans (the spirit, not the political reality) and leaving here was tough; however, he is dead on about the inertia here. (Check out the Spike Lee documentary-HBO)The recovery process has been glacial. Oswald's was a wonderful club and venue...but instead of the ball field in FIELDS OF DREAMS, the people came,the storm blew through, then people stopped coming, crime increased, debris remained, people started acting crazier...

The future here is sadly uncertain...

Even we bought a small house in Natchez and plan to spend more time there than here. As for Harry, his "second act" is not over.

Curiously, in my impending decrepitude, I have lost weight...which comes from eating bird seed and Tabasco...and from going to a spa named PUMP IRON OR DIE...

Onward...

P.S. To prove my dithering ways, I'm almost finished writing a 150-page treatise on the 21-Card Trick...and, trust me, I'm not kidding. Oddly enough, the book has been a fascinating exercise.
There are almost 80 rerferences in the bibliography...

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 9:32 am

"this is New Orleans, which despite the storm ravages, is one of the centers of Eating-the-Good-Stuff."
New Orleans, where instead of an after dinner mint with the check they give you a Lipitor pill :)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 7th, 2006, 9:45 am

Chris: Harry is a very long-time dear friend of mine and I don't think it rude to make a comment, one that I would make to his face. He and I go a long way back to the streets of San Francisco before he was even heard of.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 11:17 am

Chris: Harry is a very long-time dear friend of mine and I don't think it rude to make a comment, one that I would make to his face. He and I go a long way back to the streets of San Francisco before he was even heard of.
Yes, Pete, I remember those days. Harry would come into Buma's for a spool of rope, some flash paper, a replacement "Needle thru the Arm", etc., all for the "act". He and Leslie worked all over the place, but a lot of time it was on the Wharf, as you know. He even worked the Phoenix Theater, the venue that Penn and Teller ultimately took over, back when I was booking everyone in the area to work weekends at "The Only Clean Theater on Broadway". Remember the "race" with Leslie to "escape" from thier diverse entaglements? She tied to a chair, him in a straightjacket? What a great bit that was! All of us were broke and struggling, trying to make "The Magic Happen...". I remember the feeling of pride a lot of us had in seeing Harry on the small screen, first in "Cheers", and later on his own. It was like he succeeded for all of us. I doubt he has any idea how great it made us feel! (Thank you Harry...)Yep, he was thinner then, but probably cuz he, none of us really, couldn't afford to eat quite so well as we can today!

Best, PSC

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 7th, 2006, 11:41 am

NOt to mention that great and wonderful Magic Cellar! What a great training ground!
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 12:49 pm

It was guys like Pete, Paul, Harry Anderson, and AJ that I saw in San Francisco when I was a lil' punk that got me interested in magic (AJ later).

On the Harry Anderson interview I have had more people mention it than ever brought up Blaine or Angel or any other magician. He is still a very popular character.
Steve V

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Well for some of us who aren't in his circle, it came off as quite rude.

And I did not take you for kidding when you said it was "sad" that he gained a bunch of weight. In my personal view, not a particularly classy or amusing sentiment to express in response to a serious interview.

Kudos to Jon R. and Paul Chosse for actually responding to the interview in a substantive manner.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 3:09 pm

The interview on Real Time answered some questions. I was angry with Harry because (as was mentioned in the interview) he had previously been the man who was rallying support to get the Quarter back. When he released the NY Times Article that kind of pissed me off a little. I kept asking myself, What happened to the other guy?" Now I can see his point of view more clearly.

Thanks for posting this piece.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 3:23 pm

Originally posted by Chris Aguilar:
[b] Chris: Harry is a very long-time dear friend of mine and I don't think it rude to make a comment, one that I would make to his face. He and I go a long way back to the streets of San Francisco before he was even heard of.
Well for some of us who aren't in his circle, it came off as quite rude.[/b]
But now Mr Biro has explained he is a friend so accept that and move on, surely? Either that or arm wrestle Pete for his oh so offensive comments. Someone video it.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 3:27 pm

Originally posted by mrgoat:
But now Mr Biro has explained he is a friend so accept that and move on, surely? Either that or arm wrestle Pete for his oh so offensive comments. Someone video it.
I don't recall addressing any commentary toward you Damian. ;)

I can say that if a friend of mine were on TV giving a serious interview, my first public comment on it wouldn't be along the lines of "Gee look how fat he's gotten! Isn't that sad?"

So, other than a bit of attempted snark toward me, do you have anything of substance to add to the conversation apropos the actual interview?

Personally, I thought Harry (even with all those "sad" new pounds) acquitted himself quite well, giving a real sense of his anger/grief at having to leave, but also clearly giving a bit of detail for his reasoning. Having read the newspaper article, he was asked to put up with a lot, including being ripped off by the power company and so on. It's a bit depressing that Jon R. verifies that a lot of his points about the reconstruction are sadly true. I've been a fan of the man for a long time and I wish him the very best wherever he might end up.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Cry me a river. Get over it already.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 3:50 pm

Originally posted by rage1:
:sleep:

So what did you think of the interview?

I wonder if Harry plans on setting up a similar venue near his new digs or if he'll ever consider doing any more TV work. Would be quite nice to see him in a special or perhaps guest starring somewhere.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 4:48 pm

Harry will continue to work, create, write, develop, and perform. Such is bred in his bones. So would most of us. As Chosse and Biro ably reported, part of Harry has always been rooted in the streets, among the grasses, and with ordinary folks...and what I have most admired about him (besides his intelligence) is how he has used pop-culture celebrity to creatively focus attention to things that matter, especially for the benefit of common folks who have less money, little power, and virtually no voice.

This being said...

I think it was a bit flip for rage 1 to say:

C'mon, man...Those at various Ground-Zeros of Unfortunate Circumstances also grow weary of hearing and telling Katrina and 9-11 tales; and the victimology business can become cultish at times. Many of us here "got over" the stormy part rather quickly. Those nearest to real death and destruction are badly scarred, and are mostly mutely sorrowful. Nevertheless what is difficult to get over is trash-yet-to-be-taken-away, businesses yet to be re-opened, neighborhoods yet to revive, and the horrible, inexcusable, tragic inertia.

One has no need to "cry a river" when they are "IN the river" and more would get "over it" if they were not waist-deep, totally submerged, or drowned.

Unfortunately, one cure is to move on...
which is what many have already done, including Harry...

But it should be obvious that they have not moved off the planet or out of the States...

...and Magicdom is a spacious place...

Maybe this is why I monotonously say:
ONWARD?

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Jon: My post wasnt toward the disasters that took place, by no means. I wouldnt disrespect anyones feelings who had to live thru such a time.

My post is toward Chris, who i think should get over Pete calling attention to Harry's weight.

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Originally posted by rage1:
My post is toward Chris, who i think should get over Pete calling attention to Harry's weight.
So, what did you think think of the interview?

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2006, 9:43 pm

rage 1:

Clarification appreciated.

Metaphors can be treacherous.
River. Water. Hurricane. Recovery. Move On.

In the wonderful free-wheeling wonderland of a Forum, armed with words, wary of syntax, filled with emotions...we venture forth...flibbergibberting...

Yet sometimes each effort, yes, sometimes, moves us closer to the nitty-gritty, gut-bucket core of things...

Sometimes...not...

Sometimes, too, we digress...

...out of the water and into the weeds...

Onward...

Terry

Postby Terry » September 8th, 2006, 6:07 am

I thought the interview was well done. I think Bill is an a$$ most of the time though.

Harry looks like he has lost weight to me. Let me explain, he was here in Lexington, KY at the comedy club a couple of years ago and looked unhealthy. He was funny as all get out, but it DEFINITELY wasn't Judge Harold T. Stone night.

Everyone has to make the choices necessary for their lives. Harry's choice is North Carolina for now.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » September 8th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Mr Racherbaumer,
I'm interested in the 21 card trick book. And no...I'm not kidding either.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 8th, 2006, 10:38 pm

I cant recall the year1999 or 2000 maybebut there was a one-day gathering at the Magic Castle for the old GeMiNi site (which was run by Stevens Magic Emporium). Jon was one of the lecturers that day. He did a very intriguing trick that the collective enjoyed quite a bit: He said it was just a version of the old 21-Card Trick.

I have no doubt that this effort will be worth reading when it is released.

Dustin

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2006, 11:33 pm

DRINKING AGE ENTREATY

It almost seems preposterous that Ive written 200 pages on the supposed lowly 21-Card Trick, but my quest to track its history, its phenomenal ability to endure, and the fact that cardmen can still devised ingenious and amazing spin-offs has been an engrossing, rewarding one. Jack Parker, who has contributed some lulus, nicely explained that for some of us the 21-Card Trick is an itch you cannot scratchand the trick is literally centuries old.

The story behind the trick is the bigger story, and the process of creatively thinking about it is the important theme, not the plot itself.

Unfortunately, such a book is likely to be uninteresting to the average magic enthusiast. In short, it is not a commercial venture. I probably will not market this book, but will make it available on my Website for the few that may find it useful and interesting.

I would, however, be interested in what Forum readers think about such a curious project. I would love to hear some feedback, opinions, ridicule, anythingSo, if you are moved to respond, either write me a few words privately (Joncard@aol.com) or comment on this Forum.

Many thanks in advance.

Onward

Note to Dustin: Yes, the trick I explained at the Gemini lecture will be in the book.

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2006, 11:59 pm

Originally posted by Jon Racherbaumer:
I would, however, be interested in what Forum readers think about such a curious project. I would love to hear some feedback, opinions, ridicule, anythingSo, if you are moved to respond, either write me a few words privately (Joncard@aol.com) or comment on this Forum.
Jon

I'm intrigued. I, probably like most others, haven't thought of the twenty one trick in years. As well, I cannot for the life of me think of any variations. (Unless you are talking about using other amounts of cards.)
If only for sheer curiosity alone I will probably purchase this book.
I am looking forward to it.

Gord

Postby Guest » October 21st, 2006, 6:26 am

I for one enjoyed the heavy handed interview. I took from it a few of Harry's words to live by:

"I'm going to spend my days doing card tricks and telling your jokes."

tcb

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2006, 10:53 am

Harry looks really good to me. It's funny how people who are born with skinny metabolism seem to think that it is a virtue.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
A fan of Al Goshman and Ricky Jay

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2006, 2:42 pm

Return to “Link Watch”