David Blaine on TV - this week

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Jonathan Townsend

David Blaine on TV - this week

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 14th, 2016, 8:22 am

Blaine will be transfixing TV audiences once again in David Blaine: Beyond Magic, airing Nov. 15 on ABC

found it here: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/12/da ... mmy-fallon
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brad Henderson

Re: David Blaine on TV - this week

Postby Brad Henderson » November 14th, 2016, 5:59 pm

is this different from the show which has been on Netflix for about a month now? I haven't gotten around to watching it.

i wonder if that says more about the state of magic on tv or me.

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » November 14th, 2016, 6:38 pm

I'll watch it but I don't have to like it! :lol:

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » November 15th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Reminder - it's tonight. ABC, 10 PM.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Chas Nigh

Postby Chas Nigh » November 15th, 2016, 6:58 pm

I started to watch the one on Netflix but looking at all those over reactions turned me off. Cant stand to watch it anymore.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » November 16th, 2016, 9:33 am

I'm not going to start a new thread on "What did you think." But? What DID you think? I loved the opening, the quick cuts between celebrity gatherings, with the same trick. I loved the frog graphics as bumpers, much more than any "Upcoming" crap. I loved the graphics of Act 1, Act 2, etc... The strength of Any card at Any number did not translate well, but flusters in real life. Frogs were great. The sewing the mouth was probably edited to Hell, as I'm sure ABC would have "no blood" in their contract. I loved the way he took us behind the scenes to see how he researches out a stunt. I want my image of Garcia to be of a stronger, a more cut Man. I guess most of us get a little doughy after our teens. Wind was full of hot air. The Bullet catch scares me, maybe he could have left out the phone call to his boy first. He looked great, glad to see him back on top.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » November 17th, 2016, 10:17 am

I found the special less than satisfying. The bullet catch was not suspenseful in the least. Nor was it theatrical. (Despite its reputation as a literal killer effect, it has become rather passe these days, don't you think?) Perhaps it was the quick camera cuts, the overabundance of spectator reaction shots, or the over-reliance on celebrity cameos, but the overall feel of the special was blase; too contrived and perhaps over-produced. I enjoyed the clips of his appearances on variety shows leading up to the special far more than the special itself.

All that said, he is an excellent showman, his chops with cards superb, and he is one of the best managers of his audience that I have seen. Obviously he knows what he's doing and no doubt touched his target audience. Guess I am just not among them. Here's to his continued success!

Return to “Alternative Media”