Marcello Truzzi --> Association for Skeptical Investigation

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
JHostler

Marcello Truzzi --> Association for Skeptical Investigation

Postby JHostler » July 10th, 2016, 12:42 pm

As many of you are undoubtedly aware, the [de]volution of Marcello Truzzi’s Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP) to its current state as sanctum for those derided by Truzzi himself as “pseudoskeptics” is the stuff of melodrama. Equally fascinating is the relationship between CSI, JREF, atheists-at-large, and magicians like Jamy Ian Swiss, D.J. Grothe (with whom, if memory serves, I shared St. Louis mentor Roger Linden), Banachek, Ray Hyman, etc.

While I fail to see how the ability to replicate the paranormal motivates so many magicians and mentalists to board the skeptic train… to protect humanity from the hurricane-force threats of our friendly neighborhood Madame Rubys and televised spoon-bending ... that’s a conversation for another day.

What I am interested in discussing is the involvement of prominent magicians (if any???) in bona fide, scientifically rigorous “psi” research. This research seems to be gaining some traction (albeit tentative, early-stage traction) among mainstream scientists. Folks like Dean Radin and groups like the Association for Skeptical Investigation (with its sister http://www.skepticalaboutskeptics.org) and Truzzi torchbearer The Society for Scientific Exploration (http://www.scientificexploration.org) lead the way at the moment.

Any magicians/mentalists sympathetic to this counter-cause?
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Smurf

Re: Marcello Truzzi --> Association for Skeptical Investigation

Postby Smurf » July 10th, 2016, 9:33 pm

I wonder what the proposed theories are for the mode of the physical transmission of whatever information is of interest in the varied tests that may be used. Without a mode of physical transmission, I don't see where "science" is all that useful.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » July 10th, 2016, 10:06 pm

Smurf wrote:I wonder what the proposed theories are for the mode of the physical transmission of whatever information is of interest in the varied tests that may be used. Without a mode of physical transmission, I don't see where "science" is all that useful.

No relevance to my query. I'd suggest researching the research (there's plenty!) to answer your own question.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Smurf

Postby Smurf » July 10th, 2016, 10:42 pm

I went through to the first page you had a link to in your post. Quite an interesting opening segment - a written critical savlo at the other side because they engage in similar tactics. The first article was simply about wikipedia editiorial issues - not "sciience." Who cares? The second was an expose' of some oligarchy controlling media repots. Who cares? The 3rd was about some physicist who pretty much dismisses the paranormal out of hand and won't engage in the debate. As I myself am not an adherest to materialsim only thinking, I've seen this often before. Nothing to grab a first-time visitor to the site. The last was a report on the Eurpoean Skeptics Congress - not a hint of what passes for science there - just some defense against placebo effect charges when strange methods yield positive results. Not really paranormal there - more like probability theory.

So, your post intrigued me somewhat since you mentioned methods with scientific rigor being used in psi research. I don't doubt it is available somewhere, I just wish you had linked to an article about that topic.

JHostler

Postby JHostler » July 10th, 2016, 10:54 pm

Read some Dean Radin. Maybe start with his website or "The Conscious Universe." That's all the guidance you'll get from me... I don't intend to be drawn into a debate, nor were my links intended to provide you with hard research. Do your own due diligence.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » July 11th, 2016, 12:39 am

I am not debating the topic. You posted an interesting idea to me with links. Links to exactly what you mentioned would have been nice. I will check out Dean Radin. Thanks.

As I said, I am not bound to the "material only" restrictions placed by many "science" advocates, but it seems very difficult to get much traction with "science" types when discussing certain subjects. I am very interested in finding out how people in a field which doesn't come across as studying physical processes uses "science" which insists on such things.

Return to “Alternative Media”