Nice take on "Sands" in The Jerx

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
P.T.Widdle

Nice take on "Sands" in The Jerx

Postby P.T.Widdle » March 8th, 2016, 11:42 am

Not sure if I'll ever try this, but I like the thinking of pulling salt from sea water.

http://www.thejerx.com/blog/2016/3/7/th ... s-in-water

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: Nice take on "Sands" in The Jerx

Postby Joe Mckay » March 9th, 2016, 2:31 am

That is a great trick. Makes me want to try a trick I have never looked into before.

It is always interesting when magicians try and pull off miracles as opposed to just tricks. And that effect is a good example of that.

This is one of the first times I have seen Andy share a visual type effect as opposed to something which is more mentalism orientated. It is always nice to have a mix of effects in magic.

Anyway - thanks for mentioning the trick. I think Andy is the best thinker in magic today. As such - I think it is good for magic when word about his blog gets spread around.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » May 3rd, 2016, 11:40 am

Just heard an old Penn Jillette podcast and he said that an ongoing argument with Teller involves this trick.

For the past 40 years - Penn has wanted to put a Sands of the Desert routine in the act. Teller vetoed it.

And for the past 40 years - Teller wanted to put an egg bag routine in the act. Likewise - Penn won't allow it.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » May 4th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Love or hate his verbiage, that really is a bit of genius there ... especially the popcorn salt in the bottom of the plastic cup bit as a convincer.

I've never been a fan of this trick, but I can certainly see how, after a couple of cocktails, Andy's routine as described could be something folks would remember for the rest of their lives.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 4th, 2016, 1:21 pm

I've seen "Sands of the Dessert" presented many times. Most often poorly. Sometimes brilliantly. It is certainly not an easy trick to present well and make convincing.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Alternative Media”